New KL1: 3x123s?..tint?..runtime?..lumens?

luxlover

Banned
I recently had a nice hands-on demo using the new KL1 bezel with the TIRO lens and domed window. I have a few questions for current owners of this popular bezel........

Use with 3x123 batteries:
I know that SureFire doesn't make any lights using 3x123 batteries. The finned KL1 bezel I own, modified with a Luxeon III in it, can be used with 3x123 batteries. Does the new KL1 have the ability to run on 3x123 batteries as well? Since SF doesn't make a 3x123 cell light, they cannot confirm or deny this. I have a light setup consisting of two Dspeck battery tubes, mated to a stock E1e body. I am using this with my finned KL1 bezel, with great success. In order for me to buy the new KL1 bezel, I must make sure that it will work with 3x123s. I want the extra long runtime afforded by 3x123s.

Tint:
Since SF is always striving for better binned Luxeons, and the Luxeon III emitters used in the KL1 have less objectionable tints than it's predecessor the Luxeon I, what kind of tint variation can I expect from a KL1 bezel? I am asking about the hotspot only, since the combination of TIRO lens and domed window refracts the light in such a way as to project a series of colored halos around the light output's components. These "patterns" disappear, as the distance to the target object increases.

Runtime:
SF's 2005 catalog, their website, and tech support, have offered me conflicting information on the runtimes of the KL1 with 1x123 and 2x123 battery systems. What kind of runtimes have you found with these systems? Has anybody used this bezel in a 3x123 battery system?

Lumens:
What are the differences in lumen output, when using 1x123, 2x123, or 3x123 (if possible) battery systems?

Thank you all for your input.

deranged_coder

Enlightened
Lumen output is listed at 25 lumens for 1x123 and 30 lumens for 2x123.

As far as Surefire not making any 3x123 lights, what about the C3, 9P, L6, M3 and M3T? Granted, those do not accept the KL1 bezel AFAIK but they do have 3x123 lights.

Hans

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
luxlover said:
Tint:
Since SF is always striving for better binned Luxeons, and the Luxeon III emitters used in the KL1 have less objectionable tints than it's predecessor the Luxeon I, what kind of tint variation can I expect from a KL1 bezel? I am asking about the hotspot only, since the combination of TIRO lens and domed window refracts the light in such a way as to project a series of colored halos around the light output's components. These "patterns" disappear, as the distance to the target object increases.

[/ QUOTE ]

I use my KL1 on a 1x123 body with a two-stage tailcap with 22 Ohm resistor. At full power the tint is pure white, really nice, much better than my old KL1. At low power it's slightly greenish (which doesn't worry me a bit, as I really like the option of using the KL1 as a "dim light").

Hans

luxlover

Banned
deranged_coder,
I am a fool. How could I forget those models? It was one of the tech support reps who fed me the information I posted, but that is no excuse for me to not question his word further. I should have at least remembered that the L6 uses 3x123s, since I am a bona fide lover of Luxeon based lights. Thanks for "enlightening" me.

Hans,
I am happy that the tint is white using only 1x123 battery, since it is usually when an emitter is driven with a low voltage that the true tint becomes obvious. I also use the McE2S tailcap switch in my lights, and it is a very worthwhile addition. I am using a 15 ohm resistor board in the switch in my modded KL1 bezel/3x123 system, and a 60 ohm resistor board in the switch in my L4 light. I am happy to say that both high and low outputs in both lights have no tint.

Braddah_Bill

Enlightened
I run my KL1 4 Gen. on my Balrog body (3X123) with a Z-57 tail cap....so far NO problems...I am still on my 1st set of batteries so I dont know about the run time. The brightness seems the same as on 2x123 at least to my eyes....but will say it has a nice white beam.

Reading the instruction sheet it states:

KL1 on E1e Body:
16 lumens max output for 90 minutes, followed bt 8.5 hours of moderate output, followed by over 50 hours of minimal output.
KL1 on E2e Body:
17 lumens max output for 4 hours, followed by 11 hours of moderate output, followed by over 50 hours minimal output.

I think the KL1 (old or new) on a Balrog 3x123 body makes a nice go to light, just would like the body to match the head and tail cap...not to mention in a pinch you can run it with 2AAs with decent output.

Aloha

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
Of the three new KL-1's I have, only one has a greenish tint. And it's only real noticable when put against a good one like my HDS or other KL-1's.

weird thing is the green one throw's the farthest, and seem's bigger and brighter. VDG

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
SF has not changed their specs for the KL1 head since Gen 1, e ven on web site. Newer KL1 head uses the Lux III led, and specs are closer to the 25-30 lumen range, maybe higher depending on bin of led.

Bill