Removing the (old style) KL1's circuit board?

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Removing the (old style) KL1\'s circuit board?

Had a booboo, and the ground wire got torn off the board while taking the head apart, and I'm not sure I can solder it back with as-is, so I need to get the circuit board out of the base so I don't screw things up worse?
I've got a brainstorm about putting a different board in there, and using the KL1 board on another mod anyway...
Thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Removing the (old style) KL1\'s circuit board?

Owen,

The repair can be made without removing the converter. Just solder the broken lead to where is broke from. You could throw another converter in there, but what would you use? A nexgen will limit you to a single 123; a downboy would require you to run it on at least 2X123 and a Wiz2 would be redundant.

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks, Tony. I will need a smaller soldering iron, or have to borrow Noel's or something. Mine is pretty large, and doesn't work well for small stuff. Guess I could heat up a finish nail with a torch /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I had gotten a little wild with the AA when I last changed the star out on the KL1, and basically potted the wires to the star and the side of the light, so they couldn't be separated from the star, which was cut to a very tight fit and also had AA under it and had to be driven out with a punch from the rear.
btw, in case anybody's wondering why I went through all this crap instead of doing the simple and obvious...the other star was never in there perfect, and made centering with different optics hard, so I didn't want to just switch emitters.

The brainstorm:
I was thinking that maybe the circuit board would fit in a McCapsule for a Longbow micra, since the LB and KL1 are close to the same ID, so I could get a Eco tube and/or a Mini, and have the option of running the same capsule off 1, 2, or 3x123, 1 Pila 168S, 2AA, 1, 2 or 3 R123s if I get some of those.
The KL1 board would work for any or all of that, and I could stick a Wizard 520 in the KL1 for better runtime than I'm getting at 700mA, and hopefully no decrease in brightness-switching from a creamy yellowish SWOK to a TYOK.
That's the idea, but right now I've got a board with one wire sticking out making me wish I'd just leave stuff alone! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/stupid.gif

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast

Problem solved...
Mr. Robocop fixed me up with his superior soldering skills and I've gotta say this thing is awesome/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif
I can't wait for a chance to post the beamshots I just took/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*

The light did turn out very well and has a great tint. I did get a free emitter out of the deal so it was well worth it for me...I was suprised at how well the spill is and the perfect blend from hotspot to corona.
Once again the reflector showed to be superior to the optic and just looks better to me.
I think Owen is growing more addicted by the day...he is already planning more purchases from the Shoppe and this is how it all starts...good luck with your wallet.