Automotive 1157, 1156, 2056, 2057, bulb replace?

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would like to replace the bulbs in my Motorcycle with Leds, the brake light , and 2 of the blinker lights, the other 2 would require a resistive load, to run the blinker, so that isnt worth changing to Led, then putting a resister in that just wastes power anyways.

I ordered 2 1157 30led things off of ebay, spent 15 minutes trying to jam them into any of the sockets, and they just did not fit ANYWHERE on the bike :-(
THEN
I fired them up with 12, and 14.4 volts, and they wouldnt have REPLACED the 2057 or the 2056s that i have AT ALL, it was the most weasily output, using leds from the dark ages :).
they also dont like to overdrive them, so the curcuits will go to 16V even though most well regulated autos now dont go over 15v.

So i lose 14$ + shipping, and all i get is trash.

it is not sufficient to have a light that visually looks brighter than the incadescent replacements in only ONE aspect. i would have to have ones that are AS bright all the way around, no ifs ands or buts about it.

now i know i can fudge up something that works, and wedge it into the hole. but surely they manufacture something that can correctally and fully replace these bulbs, and that fits the socket.

i also dont think i should have to have a 4x6inch breadboard of leds at $50-75 to do the job, i should not have to ALTER the bike in the case i have to remove it.

Offroad use only , BAH, useless product is more like it.

GRRR.
if ya want it done right, do it yaself.

Are there any out there that WILL 120% replace these bulbs, AND provide the same light juice to the rest of the light housing that the incadescent did, AND not cost an arm and a leg?

UncleFester

Flashaholic*,
Re: Automotive 1157, 1156, 2056, 2057, bulb replac

Vidpro
I've been thinnin' about this for several weeks. I've got an answer, but it ain't cheap.
I think a red Luxeon I or III driven by a georges80 CC5W downconverter would work. The brakelight wire could be used to change the regulation current for brake/flash function. The Power would have to be diode OR'ed from both the running light wire and the brake wire.
The CC5W was originally designed as a dome light replacement.
http://www.taskled.com/dome.html
I think an ambitious person could mate it to base from a bulb so it would be a drop in.
There, I've said my piece.

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yeah, those 4 digit dropins are cruddy for the most part. I've seen a few that are decent but you're going to pay a lot more than 14.99 a pair for them..

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast

thats cool fester.

after more thought, i realized that when full powered the incadescents use 30WATTS of power, so 3W would be a minimum, but 3 watts of ONE COLOR, instead of loosing 2/3ds of the white, should be enough too.

So then i drempt up this stupid idea.
4 White luxeon III emmiters (just so it could be used anywhere else too)
4x4=16, so because they can take a high voltage, they wouldnt need any curcuit stuff, any micro surges wouldnt bother it much.

Put them on a SQUARE aluminum tube , cut and bend ONE side of the aluminum tube so it is bent down to the END.
then mount luxes so there is one on this folded down end and other 3 are left right and bottom.

The same ammount of heat, will hit the same ammount of metal on all 4 sides of the metal stock used.

now you have light all the way around, and yet it doesnt hit the RIDER, because you dont have it go up in the SKY, which is useless anyways.

umm gee have to do something about the COST :) at $40+ it would be good if the led manufactures build it INTO that design.

SilverFox

Flashaholic

Hello VidPro,

The problem with replacing tail and turn signal lights is that you have to look hard to make sure the replacement lamps are DOT approved.

I have heard stories about people involved in accidents (not their fault) and having to shoulder the whole blame because of using "unapproved" lights. It comes down to a claim of "the lights were so dim that I could not see them," or "I was distracted by the brilliant blue dot."

Some hot rod people have gone back to regular lamps because of this.

The 1157 LED replacement lamps are way to dim and do not do a good job of lighting off axis. Manufacturers are working on LED replacements ( www.grote.com ) but you have to replace the whole light with their approved assembly. I do not think you can just replace the lamp with an LED. I believe you have to replace the lens as well.

Tom

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast

good point, any excuse that anyone has now days, for a lawsuit, or to escape thier responsabilities, they will take it.
and changing the bulbs gives them another out.

that is one reason why i want to make sure that it is at LEAST the full replacement value of what was there.
that way with an extra $20,000 in lawyers, and $4,000 in expert fees, we can prove that it was not the cause :)

of course with a motorcycle i will be dead, so i dont have to worry about that :)

updating
I analized my cuircuit, and the costs,
and 5 red STARS cost me 40$ with shipping
and because i would cover 5 sides of a cube with them
i decided to go with stars, i cant solder an emitter for the life of me anyways.
and instead of having them cubed up, which contains the heat , i will lean the side ones twards the back just a bit, so there will be a big airgap behind them for heat movements, more of the light will go out the back of the tail light, and less of it will be wasted.

total reversal of thought, i didnt know there was no such thing as a RED LuxIII. and i am not waiting for a LUXIV.

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have modified my Bike's Brake Lights & Turn Signal Lights some time ago....

May be this link (scroll to last post)help you some... (if you are interested in making your own Bright & Cheap light).... Note the pictures were taken in evening... but you see complete darkness because of the LED's Blinding the cam's lens

Not much to modify... just need a simple General Purpose PCB a Bunch of LED's & a few resistors (for various current levels).. a wire cutter.. and a solder .. thats it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
My Bike had an arrangement to fix the PCB through Screws... (both for turn signal and brake lamp)....

I took a blown out bulb ... removed the glass and then just soldered the wires coming from PCB to the bulb's +ve & -ve Terminals... and you are done /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif...

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast

cool, going nuts like i do huh :)
i didnt notice that addition to your vanity thread.

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hey what happens when you put WHITE leds behind a red lens thing like on brakes?
the white leds have so LITTLE red and green shown in the specturm chart thing, but i dont know how that translates through the average cheap red brake filter.

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast

Seems to me that I saw automotive LED bulbs at Pep Boys. They'd have to be DOT approved unless they're marked for off-road use only. Now, as to whether or not they had the lights that you want...

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast

White LED's wont do good.. its better put Red ones.... & Yello ones for the indicators...

If you note.. the Number Plate.. its illuminated by just 4 LED's /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif yup.. in White.. pointing downwards....

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast

I swear I have seen some bikes with led rear lights, brake, and running if not a third brake light. I did see a car with those regualr bulbs and it was clear that they were led bulbs, the color was dark, deeper color and the light was rather concentrated in the center area than reflected around.

The side marker led lights I got for my wheelchair are DOT approved and from pep boys. They ran 12 bucks each. Two reds for the rear and two ambers for the front. http://www.wheelchairmodifications.org/led_markers.htm

Have you checked jcwhitney or some biker magazine?

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast

yes jcwhitney has marker lights, and the same not bright enough stuff, and some truck/trailer 4" things.

for Motorcycles they have some 75$ brake light kit things, on the WEB, with almost sufficient arrays of 5MM leds. some as many as 75leds. which is a plug in , with a seperate breadboard module. they are enough light to the BACK, but dont address the side well enough.
these modules are completly sufficient, and because they are bright enough to replace BOTH brake bulbs are still cost effective compared to 10Red LUXs.

a bike has a very small profile, and reducing its side profile to blast the guy behind you isnt effective enough.

i have ordered 5 red 1W , and 4 White 3w , because i bet i can get them to work without any regulation or resisters.
i will try and make one that completly replaces the bulb with the same charachteristics , and FITS in the higher recessed slot.

the only other acceptable item in my opinion, would be a well made 4-5 LUX (or similar) for a price of less than 50$ a unit. well made, meaning mine will look like a repair on a space garbage scow /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

this really is not at all practical, the situation does not call for a POINT source, the incadescent is practical, and there is sufficient power to run it (gas engine) .

its just that a stator (power generator) replacement is 125$ :)
i already solved that PROBLEM with the HID lights replacing the light bar thing, now instead of toasting my battery with 100W , its 27W and about as much light.

so i guess doing this is just for the extra free power.
i dont even have a problem with them burning out, never had a single 1157 2057 type bulb go OUT on me, but i usually replace them on purchaced Used cars.

i was imagining what an extra Free 30-75 Watts would do.
what a rediculous ammount of energy to waste , why 6 amps must be like putting a bike generator on the back wheel :)

BVH

Flashaholic

Try this place. I replaced my tail and stop bulbs (separate) in my Honda Pilot and they are actually a bit brighter than the stock bulb. They have 1157 replacements but I am not sure how bright they are. You definitely want to use red led's behind a red lens. I tried a white and it appeared orange'ish.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/1157.htm

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast

umm , no comment :) the 30s that are sold there LOOK just like the junk i bought on e-bay.
and the neck wasnt long enough even after i extended it a few mm, because the thing wasnt even welded together.

that is kinda why i was asking.
they do have 19s that look like they use GOOD leds, instead of reject pannel indicators from the 1940s :)
and they have the side shooting 24s, and there is a LOAD of STUFF out there.
most of it still says "for offroad use" which i am taking as a clue to its actual value, even though i only wasted my money on 1 type so far.

which ONE of the models did you use?

a quote from thier own page (at least they try to be truthfull)
""LED bulbs are generally not as bright as standard incandescent bulbs, they have many advantages over filament bulbs (longer life, faster on/off times, lower power consumption, more vivid colors) but brightness is not one of them""

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast

If i had a motorcycle, it would have lights on the rear and sides. It would need led ones as the amount of them would likely suck the same power the few regular bulbs they came with. FOr me, flashing lights get my attention. I like guys who pump their brakes on bikes or the third brake light blinks .

What about those halogen bulb replacements? I think jcwhitney may sell those too.

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast

to answer COBBs Q about JCwhitney
WD810439B ($10) is a halogen 30W they aledge is 50% brighter 1157 type bulb. (which usually means in halogen about 140% total)
No reduction in power consumption, but it would be brighter.
i dont know how much brighter than the 2057 that i already replace 1157s with.

so there definatly is a halogen replace

they have a "rotating" 12led they claim is 4 times brighter (imagine that :) off road and show only.
WD479151X ($25) by flashing they could be driving the leds harder than some of the others. but i doubt this is as hot as an incadescent unless your Looking at the leds themselves.

see Link to JC 1157 led