Will Rechargeables kill the Nuwai Q-III 2 cell

goldserve

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would be afraid. One rechargable is driving the single celled version of the Q-III pretty hard. What are you looking for in your QIII? Did you want dual brightness, long runtime?

You could probably buy a single cell version of the QIII and mod it to fit your needs. A good efficient constant current driver or something would work very well.

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Id like to keep the flashlite as original as possible,not much of a modder myself...i always end up braking the damn things /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
And the 2cell QIII is the most interesting light for me,cause of the LOW-HIGH setting.
Was hoping to use rechargeable batteries though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
8.4 V will be to much for the LED i presume...anyone else with an point of view on the subject?

Benny
NORWAY

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is that possible?
And where can i find that kind of cell?
ive never heard of it.
Edit:
Ive found the cell...looks like a good idea...but the chargers for those suckers arent exactly cheap /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

NetMage

Enlightened
I have used 2 X R123 in the Nuwai TM-301X-3 and it melted the solder holding the DD resistor behind the LED in a couple of minutes. The tube did not get hot, which shows the heatsinking is terrible to the tube.

Someone else did the same to an Ombu X-33, their resistor popped completely free.

So I wouldn't recommend pushing the light without fixing the heatsink issues.

Otherwise, it is a great light.

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Will there be a problem to replace the 3W star with an 5W Star ?
Just wondering:)

goldserve

Flashlight Enthusiast
MorpheusT1,

Click on my signiture for a dual switch mod. Get the QIII 1 x cr123 version. It's so much smaller and an EDC (every day carry).

CESDewar

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
MorpheusT1 said:
Im thinking about buying The Nuwai 2x123A LEd flashlite.
And are curious about how much voltage the light can handle...Rechargeables for instance...
The output will be slightly higher with this option...Will it kill the light?

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't speak for that specific model, but I have been running the Nuwai TM116X Turbo (also 2x123A but with a 5w luxeon instead of 3w) with two Battery Station rechargeables and although the batteries come out of the charger at 4.1v, I have seen no problems with this light and I've been running it at least 15-20 mins every day now for over a month. It is extremely bright and has now become one of my favorite flashlights - I would guess it's cranking out close to 100 lumens (brighter than my Pila GL2 and not that far off my GL3)..

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I Really dont like the size of the Nuwai TM-301X-3.
I want an QIII sized light with the same trow and dual mode switch.
Was hoping to find another solution to the problem,since i live in Norway and first ordering the QIII from the US and then Shipp the tailswitch back to us for modding ,then back again..
I could have bougt 2 light or three for the shipping cost only.
Arent there any other options?

goldserve

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only option i can think of is either you order one online and ship to me, then i ship to you. That sounds like an idea... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seems like the only option...:(
What about u sending me 2x QIII flashlites modded?
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Or maybe u have 2 tailcaps laying around that i can buy from u :p

davidefromitaly

Enlightened
Morpheus the simplest way is to use a 17670 li-ion, the total output will be like the single-cell version with a li-ion, and the runtime at least 3 times more

if you can mod it you can by-pass the driver for increase the efficiency