MJLED or TLE-10

mateen

Enlightened
I want one or the other Mag dropin - looking for longer runtime than the higher wattage sammies and more useful/whiter color/cleaner beam than the stock incandescent. Anyone have a favorite between the two mentioned? Leaning towards the Terralux TLE-10 for the regulation...but I can be persuaded...

Thanks!

Anglepoise

Flashlight Enthusiast
The beautifully thing about the MJLED is its simplicity and low price. Its a 'mod' thing. Try it, and you will either like it or not. Because it is so easy and cheap......it does not matter.

I personally have two and am extremely happy as I never knew exactly what to do with all my old 2aa's.

wwglen

Enlightened
If you want / need rechargables go with the TLE-10.

If you can use Lithiums go with the MJLED.

Alklines are probably a toss up with the TLE-10 probably a little brighter and the MJLED longer running.

wwglen

mateen

Enlightened
Well, I went ahead and CPF style got both. Actually, I got the 'uncut' MJ-type LED because the Shoppe is out of stock. I prefer the TLE-10, but that may be because I'm using these in cutdown MicroMags and so the direct drive MJ-type LED won't even light unless I use 1/2 CRV3. I like using this battery anyway, but at least the TLE-10 (with PowerPush boost) gives me the option of using a regular AA battery in a pinch, at a lower output level, of course.

As far as beam quality goes, the TLE-10 definitely has a better hotspot and much more throw. Total output is probably close. The TLE-10 is more towards the yellow side, the MJ-type more towards the blue, but neither is distractingly off-tint. I reckon that the TLE-10 with its added circuitry will have flatter output.

Thanks for the help! TLE-10 gets a /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif!

mykall

Enlightened
FWIW I can compare the Tle5 to the MJled. Have not
had a TLE10 but because it's rated at .5w and 20 lumens
I would guess it's not quite as bright as the TLE5.

You've gotta' love regulation...on almost dead batteries,
the TLE 5 is still very bright and white. However it's
beam quality is a little splotchy and the focusing of
the beam does little more than change the pattern a little
as you can't actually get a tight spot. The MJ has a
much better focusing range and allows a good tight pattern.

I'd give the nod in brightness to the TLE5, but because the
MJ's are so simple (whatever you do...don't cut them too short) and are much cheaper I'd give the overall nod to the MJ.

Beware though...the MJ's are like a box of (GUMP) chocolates
you never seem to know whether you're going to get a
series #1 or #2.

MB

mateen

Enlightened
Ya know, I heard so much about the bad beam of the TLE-5 that I was a little hesitant to get the TLE-10. But I was pleasantly surprised that the beam shape is quite nice, smooth and round, and focusses down to at least as tight a spot as the stock incan lamp, maybe tighter.

But yes, the regulation is the key feature...