Surefire E2 vs. Legend LX: Firing the First Shot

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Well, somebody has to do it.
A certain man in California has provided a Surefire E2 (holy cow!!!) with 60 lumen bulb and some extra batts. And I already have a Legend LX, also with extra batteries.

So without further adoo, here is the first direct comparison between the two:

lx-vs-e2.jpg

These shots were with the camera and both flashlights 25.5" from the newly-installed white target.
They are *not* mislabelled - the LX really is brighter than the E2, and it demonstrates this at all distances.

I will devise a distance comparison as soon as it gets dark. Probably something that places the camera and both lights around 10-12' from a wall.

Now if you will excuse me, I'm off to go and thank the person who supplied the E2.
grin.gif

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow! The beam of the LX looks more like my 110 lumen Surefire 8AX. I guess I'll have to break down and order one direct from Brinkmann. I wonder how the Princeton Tec Surge fits in with these two lights.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the pic`s guys. Guess the larger reflector gives the LS an advantage. The P-60 has a nice smooth beam as well. The Turbo as a tiny spot...not sure if it would be usefull in most situations.

JB

Enlightened
Yeah, I was just going to ask about a runtime comparison. I understand the LX has a higher wattage bulb so it should burn quicker than the E2. Having said that, I don't mind sacrificing some run time for more power. Hey pk, time for that hi-output bulb for the E2!
smile.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
My contact says "approximately 70 minutes".
I will have to devise a realtime test for this... something like 5 minutes on, 5 minutes off, later, rinse, repeat...

At what point should I deem the test over?
When the light yellows in comparison to another lithium light, or when it goes completely (or nearly) out?

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think a real test is continuous on because that is what we expect from our light in the most demanding situations.

Lonewolf

Enlightened
I GOT AN LX TONITE AND THIS THING IS UNBELIEVABLY BRIGHT!!!!!!! Oh yeah this is fun so small and so brite and I like the price. OH I am having so much fun. And now I find it is brighter than the E2 and I almost bought one. To bad Wallyworld only had one I was gonna buy at least 4 to bad I got the last one. LOL

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Size15s:
I think of runtime as constant-on useable quality light (not when it yellows, dims or until the batteries are dead)

Al
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So when should the cuttoff point be?
If it's not when it yellows, dims, or dies, then when should it be? Yellowing, dimming, and dying off are the three natural stages of a battery's life.

confused.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by FlashlightDude:
Remember all you bulb-heads out there, I told you the LX was bright and everyone originally gave me a bunch of S%#@ over it!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not everyone...
wink.gif

Mine is bright enough to light a cigarete with. Tried it last night. :0
But I guess only pictures tell the truth, so I'll have to try to get a picture of it doing that.
smile.gif

sig2.jpg

sig0.jpg

About half the light never actually reaches the ciggy, because the lens is considerably smaller than the flashlight head, and the lens mount itself blocks off even more.
If I just had a bare lens, and if it covered the whole reflector, I could probably light smokes and other stuff up with the flashlight in only a few seconds, instead of half a minute.

This is the first flashlight I've owned that I can set something on fire with using its light beam.

Gman

Enlightened
Like I said, the true flashaholic does not live by beam alone. The LX has a great beam for the price, no doubt about it, but it lacks quality in many other areas.

For the average Joe Schmo it's a steal but I doubt it'll stand up to much more than everday abuse. Time will tell, however.

Seems to me comparing it's beam to an E2 is apples to oranges due to the larger head and reflector on the LX. A better comparison would be with a 6P/D2/C2. (P60 lamp)

Me thinks that corrected for the size difference, the E2 beam would equal/beat it. When it comes to lamp life, corrosion resistance, switch reliability and "pocketability", the LX loses hands down. I think the LX is OK, but comparing it to SF shouldn't be done as they would be chosen for two completely different reasons.

There will always be knock offs (and people willing to spend less for them), but when you want the best in *all* areas, ya gets what ya pay for.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Okay so my definition of runtime is very subjective.
I know what the beam should look like (with fresh batteries) and I know when I no longer like the look of a beam because the batteries are getting flat.

When the light output has lost it's brilliance, it's 'edge', it's whiteness, I change the batteries.

IMHO, One of the things I have noticed about the LX can be stated like this:

"MagLights are good looking but have crap beams. The LX has a good beam but looks crap."

Al