Surefire L2 and L6 opinions wanted

Torch

Newly Enlightened
Greetings all,

I'm new here and was really surprised to find that my Army nickname wasn't already taken. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I have just ordered two LED flashlights and would like your opinions if you have any. I've searched for some review on this site but must not be doing something right because I've found very little. Sorry if this is one of those "not another one of those (insert subject here) threads".

I ordered both an L6 and an L2. The L6 is in the mail so probably too late to cancel it but the L2 won't be ordered until the end of the week so I could change that order if you guys think I made a mistake.

Uses:

L2 - My daughter is going to France in May for some treking and touring. Is this a good light for that purpose?

L6 - I want a flash light powerful enough to investigate bumps in the night or wanting to see what my dogs are barking at. Is this a good light for that purpose? Is it powerful enough?

Thanks in advance.

Torch

deranged_coder

Enlightened
Greetings and welcome to CPF. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I own neither flashlight you have mentioned but I do own several other Surefire lights and have a very high opinion of them. The people here on CPF who do own the L2 and L6 think very highly of them. I do not think you could go wrong with either light.

If you have not yet been to flashlightreviews.com, that is always a good place to start. Here is a link to the review for the L2: Flashlight Reviews and LED Modifications: Surefire L2 Digital Lumamax

MrBenchmark

Enlightened
Hi Torch! I can't believe your nickname wasn't taken either!

I own both an L2 and an L6. They are very nice lights. I think you'll find the L6 is more than enough for investigating things that go bump in the night. I use mine when I hike at night. It's an awesome light in my opinion - it's my favorite light at the moment. It's a great combination of flood and throw, and it has excellent runtime for something that's as bright as it is. (I get 1.5-2 hours of really bright light from mine - it's really pretty useful out to 2.5 hours or so.) It's quite durable, too - I drop mine fairly regularly, and it works great. The combat grips on the light work amazingly well. I don't use a handgun, so I can't speak to that, but I find that I use them to hold the light syringe style. This seems like it would be awkward, but it's quite comfortable. I was surprised by this - I had already decided that I hated the combat grips before I got the light. But I left 'em on for a few days, and found that they really work rather well.

The L2 should serve your daughter well. You might want to send a few spare batteries along with her, but I think the light will be very helpful for her. The low level lasts a very long time, and is bright enough for most purposes. When you need a wall of light, though, the high level delivers it. Some may complain about the size of this light - it's almost exactly the same size as a 2AA mini-maglight, but puts out a lot more light. It should fit discretely in your daughter's purse, or whatever she carries. It's not great in the pockets of jeans, but since I doubt your daughter would ever consider carrying it that way, I don't think that'll be an issue. One very cool and useful feature of the L2 is that when you've locked on the low beam, you can press the tailswitch to get the high beam on. This could be useful as a personal defense tool - if someone threatens her in the dark, pulsing the light on high into their eyes should make them go "ow!" and maybe give her a second or two headstart to flee.

I think you made very good choices!

Canuckle

Newly Enlightened
I've owned my L2 for a total of 2 days and like it very much. It didn't hurt that I got it pre-owned for a terrific price. The tint isn't the whitest, and there's a bit of a donut-hole, but it doesn't detract from the overall package.

As MrBenchmark mentioned, the nicest feature is its capability of providing nice even illumination at 15 Lumens, with 100 Lumens being only a press away.

Cheers.

V8TOYTRUCK

Flashlight Enthusiast
L2 was a great choice for your daughter, great combination of runtime reliability and power.

L6 is a great choice too, if you can find someone selling a M3 bezel here, you can attach it to the L6 body and run the 225 lumen lamp that will really light up things at night.

Torch

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the prompt replies. You guys have eased my mind considerably. I already own a G2 and have been very pleased with the performance of that small inexpensive light. After paying for these two new ones I really started wondering whether I might have made a mistake or could have done better for the money. I'm willing to pay top dollar for top quality.

I don't know whether you have noticed but these lights aren't inexpensive. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

AlecGold

Enlightened
the L2 is very nice...
I don't have the L6 but I've got a U2 and it is superb.

And if you think it is expensive in the states.... well read on!
be sure to give you're daughter plenyt of spare 123's because it is costing a fortune here, anything between 5 and 15 Euro's!!!! thats about 6,5 to 20 dollars$$$!!! so a few spare wouldn't hurt her budget...

Luna

Enlightened
Al, you haven't noticed a bit. All one has to do is look at your collection to see that! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

Luna

Enlightened
AlecGold, I find myself with my L2 more than the U2. The u2 gets bedside duty but the L2 get front pocket.

Torch

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
V8TOYTRUCK said:
L6 is a great choice too, if you can find someone selling a M3 bezel here, you can attach it to the L6 body and run the 225 lumen lamp that will really light up things at night.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you tell me more about this please? I live on 10 acres and would like to be able to illuminate out to about 100 yards. Will that be possible with this little light without the 'M3 bezel' (or with it for that matter)?

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't own the L6, but I do own the U2, with a similar reflector. I would say the U2 is effective for identification up to 70 yards, but for 100+ yards I'd prefer something a bit stronger. This is, of course, dependent on my eyes.

But as I've said, I'd prefer the M3T (T, meaning Turbohead 2.5") bezel if I was working out at that range. I have conducted throw tests with a 2.5" bezel and it is visible up to 330 yards, although identification may only be possible at half that range.

At the moment, incandescents still rule the roost when it comes to longer-range work, much as I love my LEDs. Ideally I'd be carrying something that's Mag85 class and higher (500+ lumens, 2.5" bezel or larger) for that kind of work. My U2 is meant for shorter range things.

If you haven't seen the Mag85 class of superlights that are only found here on CPF, you are in for a treat. Imagine all the power of the Surefire M6 in a rechargeable light that costs less than $100. At 330 yards that thing is still wicked crazy sick bright! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMO, the L2 is one of the best production LED lights out there. Couple it with a good Li-ion incandescent and you'll have most of the basics covered. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

rscanady

Enlightened
I just finished putting together a Mag 85 and HOLY SMACKERS, i can definitely attest to the BRIGHTNESS of it, a space needle with Lux III or Lux V also delivers a lot of throw too and can have longer runtimes than the Mag85, either one will spot out 100 yards.

rgc

Newly Enlightened
Nice Dad, the L2 would be a great light if she is ok with the size . . . that and a couple extra bats just in case.

You could look at the L1 with a 50 hour run time on low and on one bat, however, if it was my daughter, I would want her to have the 100 lume availability of the L2. Light tends to chase away those the dwell in the dark and the L2 should produce an awsome wall of light . . . hmmm . . . do I need an L2?

Blessings,
rgc

Size15's

Flashaholic
This is an example of the same total Lumens (225 Lu) being focused into two different beams - the TurboHead being better at projecting a beam further away.

The "M3" beam:

The "M3T" beam:

Al