EternaLight run time, part two.

TRC

Newly Enlightened
Not too long ago, I posted about doing a run time on an EternaLight, using the light at it's lowest setting.

The manufacturer claims 2800 hours on this setting.

I got about a week with the flashlight running 24/7

However, I used some really cheap generic batteries, and at the end of the test, one AA cell read over 1.3 volts, one was around 0.6 volts, and one was around 0.4 volts, going from memory.

Obviously, cr@ppy AA cells, since they should all have had the same voltage. I still can't figure it out, except to attribute it to grossly defective AA cell(s).

So I finally got around to picking up some new Duracell AA batteries. They have an expiration date of 2011, and I put them in the flashlight Sunday night/Monday morning 3/27-28 at exactly midnight.

This is the most basic Ergo 4 model, set at it's lowest setting: 1 LED lit, at a very low level.

It will be interesting to see how long it runs this time. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

AZLight

Newly Enlightened
I would like to know the result of this test also. Please keep us posted. Thank you.

TRC

Newly Enlightened
Well, it's been a bit over 2 weeks now, and to nobody's surprise, I'm sure, the EternaLight Ergo 3 is still running on it's lowest setting, with fresh Duracell Coppertop (but not the 'Ultra') AA cells.

Going to Sunday night at midnight, that's 336 hours.

I don't know how many hours to expect; Roy's runtime at full power gave considerably less time (like about 2/3rds less) than the manufacturer's specs.

Still, if I get only 1/3 of the 2800 hours claimed on the spec sheet which came with it, that's 'only' 924 hours, or 38 1/2 days (!). Pretty good for 3 AA cells, I'd say.

Well, time will tell... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

MY

Enlightened
As posted in other threads, I have an eternalight hanging over the comode area going 24/7 at its lowest setting. I use NiMh batteries and recharge them ever three months. When one starts measuring runtime in months rather than hours, then it is simply academic how many months it lasts.

Regards.

TRC

Newly Enlightened
OK, well now it's been 3 weeks and almost a full day; I'll round up to midnight.

So it's been 528 hours of runtime. The output looks exactly the same; it's done bathroom runs many times now, and it seems I can see just as well with it as when I started. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for taking the time (no pun intended) to do this, TRC! 528 hrs is quite impressive indeed... This'll teach me to value my Ergo3 even more now... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

TRC

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Big_Ed said:
The hardest part of this run test I would think would be you can't play with the EternaLight for a few months!

[/ QUOTE ]

Who says I only have one EternaLight? I consider the EternaLight the best 5mm LED flashlight ever made. Nothing can match it, or even come near, for features.

No, you wouldn't use it for a force entry situation, but it is still an EXTREMELY useful flashlight!

I have a bunch of them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

TRC

Newly Enlightened
Well, another week, and a day has gone by, and the Ergo 3 now has 29+ days runtime on it, or over 696 hours.

I used the Ergo 3 on Sunday night, and it seems as bright as when I started, as near as I can tell. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleye11.gif

TRC

Newly Enlightened
Another week, another 168 hours, bringing the total continuous run time up to 840 hours.

And I still can't see any decrease in output.

MrEternaLight

Newly Enlightened
FOR EVERYONES INFORMATION:

If you notice, nowhere in our marketing literature do we state the 2800 hour figure. We simply state "up to 700 hours" and on the EliteMax, "up to 1000 hours". As you have seen, the condition and type of battery has a great deal to do with your performance. There are many other factors too. The 2800 hours was a simple projection from our initial 750 hour run. I will be curious in seeing how far you can take this! Many thanks for your patients.

TRC

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
MrEternaLight said:

If you notice, nowhere in our marketing literature do we state the 2800 hour figure. We simply state "up to 700 hours" and on the EliteMax, "up to 1000 hours". As you have seen, the condition and type of battery has a great deal to do with your performance. There are many other factors too. The 2800 hours was a simple projection from our initial 750 hour run. I will be curious in seeing how far you can take this! Many thanks for your patients.

[/ QUOTE ]

The 2800 hour figure IS on the literature included with the product, however, and that's where I got the figure.

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
yep me too, on my eternalight user's manual it clearly says "2800 hours" for the lowest setting...SO I assumed the manufacturer meant it and have tested the figure before you can print it in the product manual... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
TRC said:
[ QUOTE ]
MrEternaLight said:

[/ QUOTE ]
The 2800 hour figure IS on the literature included with the product, however, and that's where I got the figure.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me give TRC some support on that -
it is in the published manuals from TechAss.com for their eternaLights - available for download as PDF files on this TechAss.com WebPage

For example for the Model 3 - "Ergo" and the Model 4X - "EliteXRay" both have at the bottom of page 1 and top of page 2 under Rate button will dim the light output -
Rate button clicks = 12; %of maximum power = 2; *Hours of life expectancy = 2800
*Calculated with fresh alkaline batteries of 2850mah capacity. Assumes running continuously with light not falling below 40% of fresh battery output.

Geologist

Enlightened
Hi Mr. Eternalight! I have two quick questions regarding the Eternalight Products! I own all three of the Elite series. 1) What is the overhead power consumption for the electronics? 2) Are you still running techass.com or is not being run by someone else? Or are you the same Mr. Eternalight that created the eternalights?
Since I do not see you post that often, I wanted to ask.

THanks!

TRC

Newly Enlightened
Well, yet another 8 days has gone by, bringing the total runtime up to 1032 hours.

And the light output still looks the same as the day I put the new Duracell AA bateries in it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif