Cree Xlamp

MrMatt

Newly Enlightened
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif I was wanting to put a cree xlamp into a minimag of mine, at first I was told the max FV was 3 but now learned it is 4 can it run straight off 3 N batteries (4.5 V) or will that just be a bad idea... any better ideas? Please share your input. These are to nice and expensive to fizzle /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

MrMatt

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone know of a good way to modify a mini-mag with one of these? I already have an idea for how to mount the LED but other ideas are more then welcome.
I mostly need help with the power supply, mostly. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

vacuum3d

Enlightened
Do you know what the beam looks like if you use the MiniMag reflector? The reflector does next to nothing with the Xlamp led.

I drive mine with a BabBoy 500. Power it with 1 14500 Li-Ion.

ernest

MrMatt

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
vacuum3d said:
Do you know what the beam looks like if you use the MiniMag reflector? The reflector does next to nothing with the Xlamp led.

I drive mine with a BabBoy 500. Power it with 1 14500 Li-Ion.

ernest

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't seen what a minmag reflector would do... any suggestions on a better reflector? I'm not really looking for massive throw, flood would be more useful. What do you use? I'm new to this could you explain the bad boy 500 to me... what are the advantages to this as opposed to driving it direct? How easy would it be for a novice to set one up and would it fit in a mini mag?

vacuum3d

Enlightened
Matt,
I've been lurking around this forum for 2 months before attempting to mod anything. The mod you're thinking about is not a Novice project. I have not found a suitable reflector for the Cree, that's why I put it in an Inova X1. You're welcome to check out what I did here. I'd suggest that start with going thru the CPF forums first.

ernest

Tritium

Enlightened
I received an order of Cree's yesterday and noticed one thing that is very unique about the high output White Cree. It appears that the phosphor is on the back side of the optic instead of the surface of the die as with other manufacturers. This if true would allow decoupling the phosphor from the direct heat of the die and would increase the light emitting area to the full diameter of the optic.
This is more of a fluorescent lamp scheme in that there is an exciter (the die) and a wavelength downshifting phosphor seperate from the exciter.
The Cree colors other than white are not designed like this and have a water clear optic with a fully visable die.

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
That would also mean that the light source volume is the volume of the inside of the optic instead of the size of the emitting die. That would make using the white cree part with a reflector substantially more difficult.

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been playing with these as well. I really like the core design of the package, but optics remain a challenge.

I spoke with ETG, and they are going to release an optic for it "soon" for flashlights.

Just my observations so far - the biggest problem is going to be eliminating the blue ring at the base of the LED from the main beam - it really colors it when using a reflector. This has me tempted to either somehow block the blue ring with black paint, or use an optic solution instead of a reflector.

I think once we figure this bugger out, it, and other high power SMD LEDs will become popular fast.