L1,KL1, or A2????

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Originally posted by WaltH:
......................... From what FC has posted it looks like L1 is the brightest 1 123 production LS out there.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">This statement is drawn on the basis of one Luxeon sample? OK, I quit!
icon15.gif

- Don

WaltH

Enlightened
Ouch Don!

You are correct but I'm also basing this on past experience with Surefire QC. Their Luxeons were pretty consistent from my experience.

FC.

Flashlight Enthusiast
WaltH, I wouldn't say that to Mr.Gizmo
grin.gif
Who knows what he has up his sleeve
icon3.gif

WaltH

Enlightened
Great, there's probably some satelite tracking my every move as we speak. Better keep myself inline lest some vaporizing ray comes shooting out of space and then I'll be..........

Anarchocap

Enlightened
Xminxm,

I think you need to realize the limitations of your choices and then choose what best suits you.

IMHO of your 3 choices currently available for purchase, the only thing that really comes close to an EDC light is the ARC LS. But unless you get the belt pouch and carry it that way, I wouldn't consider it something your going to want bulging in your front pants pocket every day. Is that a stick in your pants or are you happy to see me?!
grin.gif
shocked.gif

From what we have seen here so far (sample of 1!), it looks like that if ultra compact size is not an issue, and you are going to be carrying on your belt anyway, the L1 might be the best compromise. Its looks brighter than an Arc LSH-P, at a cheaper price. You also get a "task light" option. But you only get about 60% of the run-time and its about 50% bigger.

So, would I buy an L1 over an Arc LSH-P? Yes, I think I would if things stay consistent with other CPF members on the L1 output quality.

But would I get rid of my Arc LS1r2 with twist pack for it? Certainly not. Its that size and run-time thing for me.

Now would I get a KL1 instead of the L1? Well I say again that depends. Do you already have a incan SureFire? Yes, you've stated that you do. Since I do too, I probably wouldn't care about the versatility of having, say an E2E+KL1, and being able to switch back and forth between the incan light and the LED. I'd go flat out for the L1.

But if I cared about overall cost and versatility (not on this forum!!
grin.gif
), I wanted a long running Luxeon, and I didn't own a SureFire yet, I probably would take the E2E+KL1 over the L1.

Its all about what compromise suits you the best! Good luck!

Size15's

Flashaholic
L1 over KL1 no question about that.
A2 over L1?
This depends on your illumination requirements. Me, I think I'd pick the A2 over the L1 for beam throw and output.

Al

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since you already have the E2, I'ld recommend the KL1. Seems to be the best-bang-for-the buck. TX

Termac

Newly Enlightened
I guess I'm qualified to comment, having sampled the E2, the K1, the ArcLS and LS2H as well as the Badboy & Madmax. And the McLuxTK is on order.

My favorite and most practical of all is the Badboy installed in the worn black Mini-mag I bought in 1985 for $16 dollars. It has the McLux reflector, glass lens and kroll switch. The head is glued on and the retainer is installed. I use NiMH batteries exclusively. This flashlight puts all the others, except the E2, out of work.

I've been looking at the Surefire L1 pictures. It's about the opposite of my BadMag, and it's about the opposite of what I like. All that busy jaggedness just seems ridiculous to me.

ToddM

Enlightened
First the obvious answer *buy them all!*

Yeah I'd have to say the KL1, for a couple reasons. First you have a E2 so it's cost effective. I can't recommend the A2 because it's not released yet. It might be the best light in the world but it doesn't do anyone any good till it's on the market.

Second while the L1 may be slightly brighter than the KL1 you get ~4.5 hours of runtime at full brightness instead of 1.5 hours. Granted you use more batteries but it's basically the same sized package. You do get the low beam with the L1 but if you can find room to EDC a L1/E2 you can find room for a E2 with a KL1 and a arc AAA on a keychain or jacket zipper. While it's nice to have a all in one light that also means that if that light fails you may have no backup. If you loose that light you've lost your low and high power option.

There are really advantages either way but myself I like redundancy. Not to say that you can't carry a arc AAA and a L1 too. Having an E2e with a KL1 gives you a high power option too, you use the 60 lumen bulb, put the KL1 on and have 4.5 hours of ~17 lumen light and have what 40 hours of Arc AAA light.

I admit the L1 beam is impressive and a runtime of 1.5 hours at that brightness is pretty darn good, but it's still nearly the same size as a E2. I mean you can get 75 minutes out of a E2e with 60 lumens in the same package.

If it was the size of a E1 I'd probalby feel differently. Then it would have a heck of a size advantage over the E2 with a KL1. Also I think the LED low power option is a lot more valuable with the A2 and it's 60 lumen beam than the L1, at only 20 lumens there's not too many times that would be TOO bright even for close up work, unlike a 60 lumen beam.

The ARC LS is a option too, I mean it may give up a little to the L1 in brightness but it's almost half the size. It's pretty spendy though.

I guess it really comes down to your specific needs and specific situations you use your light for. I mean if you want to carry only one light and do a lot of low light close up work the low option of the L1 is probably nice, and if you don't use the 20 lumen beam much it would probalby last a long long time on a battery. If you were using the 20 lumen beam mostly you might value the E2/kl1 with it's 3x longer runtime, it takes more batteries but you'd have to change them 1/3 less.

Buy em all, try em out, then sell the ones that don't fit your exact needs
smile.gif
There's certainly no problem selling surefire or arc stuff.

Todd

Kiu

Enlightened
i haven't got a LS LED until now. But i m planning to purchase one.

which one will be perfer to buy if u were me?
1)L1
2)KL1
3)ARC LSH
4)wait for the A2

i m confusing
confused.gif
....pls help me thx

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast
Xminxm....Every light has a different purpose, so unless we know what you plan on using the LED for, I don't know what would be best for you.

Kiu

Enlightened
Originally posted by ttran97:
Xminxm....Every light has a different purpose, so unless we know what you plan on using the LED for, I don't know what would be best for you.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">it would be EDC, bright (
grin.gif
ofcoz).
mmmnn.... i think the above LED is so similar, except A2 but need to wait.
i want KL1, but it waste the mn03 of my E2
L1 will good, but A2 is best....
LSH would exspensive to get from here (H.K.)...

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, I agree that the A2 is best. You get a good LED light for general lighting, and then the bright light for when you need it. I think the L1 is a better choice than an E2 w/KL1. The L1 is going to be about the same size as the E2+KL1, but you get the low-light option. I don't have any experience with the LSH...so can't help you there.
smile.gif

WaltH

Enlightened
A2 is three Nichia 5mm LED's, not an LS. From what FC has posted it looks like L1 is the brightest 1 123 production LS out there.

Kiu

Enlightened
Thx ttran97,Gun Nut,txwest,A00079,Termac,ToddM
's opinion

now i think i wont buy the L1...
My E2 60 lumen with 1.25hr will over L1 20 lumen with just 1.5hr consistence comparing both hv same size.
I will buy KL1 before A2 has come out.
really thx all guys
smile.gif

Ralf

Enlightened
Like Termac says,

as a flashaholic I'd like to have them all, but
running out of money I am very happy with my
old mag running with BB500/Kroll Switch on
NiMH ...

Cheers Ralf

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
How 'bout a KL1 w/5 Watt Luxeon driven at 2.4Watts?
grin.gif
Little less than two hours run time. Sorry, got off-topic.

CM

Kiu

Enlightened
now i hv decided to buy KL1.
A2 is great but i m depress by it's 3 lumen LED.
As i already get ARC AAA.