SureFire patents.

Canuckle

Newly Enlightened
Gazing upon my newly acquired L2, I noticed the patent number 6712485 upon its body. Doing a search came up with the document Flashlight securement systems.

Looks like a long boring read, but the title does not seem to describe the technology in the light itself, but only the 'securement system'. Any wise interpretations of this?

What other patents are listed on other SF lights?

Cheers!

Lightraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I followed a link provided by Ken Good regarding a Surefire/John Matthews patent for the tailcap/grip ring/body step down concept.

It seemed pretty specific as to the Surefire Combatgrip design and (apparently) hasn't prevented similar efforts like the Streamlight Nightfighter.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Believe it or not the patent on the E1e is actually for the CLIP.

My U2 just says "patent pending". They might get one for the mag sensor ring, just my guess.

PK has some links on his site http://www.pk-e.com .

ygbsm

Enlightened
A couple (boring?) observations. That a patentee's device may carry some patent numbers and not others does not mean that the device is not covered by patents other than those listed.

Putting a patent number on devices is often an attempt to satisfy the notice requirement of the patent laws. According to that law (in most cases) for past damages to be collected there must have been "notice" either "actual notice" (usu. this involves a cease and desist letter) or "constructive notice" (this is classically done by "marking" with a patent number).

Thus, although a manufacturer patent owner might have a hard time getting past damages for the period before actual notice for an infringement of patent for which there has been no constructive notice, that patent owner may still be able enforce (get an injunction, ec.) that patent at issue.