Most powerful/brightest 5mm LED??

Pila_Power

Enlightened
Hey all, I'm looking to find what the brightest LED available today is, where from and how much.

Pref white, don't have a clue as to bins or tints etc sorry /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
The brightest that we have publicly available (ie. buy it today) is a 26000mcd LED. I may have some in the next few days, provided my supplier or the postal service doesn't screw me over /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif they should have been here early this week! $1 each.

Most are 'white', a little bit more blueish like a TY0L, tint bins are usually not specified to the degree they are with Luxeons.

There is a 50000mcd LED from Nichia rumored to be floating around. So far, nobody has actually seen any.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
KevinL said:
There is a 50000mcd LED from Nichia rumored to be floating around. So far, nobody has actually seen any.

[/ QUOTE ]
Actually, that 50000 mcd comes from a test of the LED in a flashlight at an unknown drive current. I've gotten over 65000 mcd out of the current 26000 mcd LEDs when testing them at currents up to 80 mA. Nichia is slated to release a 60 lm/W 5 mm LED this year if they haven't in fact done so already. Those should be good for about 35000 mcd with a 20° beam angle, or about 10000 mcd with a 50° beam angle.

Amonra

Enlightened
I think the MJLED is the brightest 5mm led so far. i dont know the mcd rating for the MJLED but it seems to be much brighter than any other 5mm led.

OddBall

Newly Enlightened
Do you mean they are $1 each available to buy from you KevinL, or do you mean $1 from your source?

If you're not selling any, could you please tell me where you got them from so I can get some?

Cheers bigears!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

jtr1962

Flashaholic
You can get the 26,000 mcd LEDs on eBay here. $44.94 shipped for 100 pieces. Given the work involved packing them and sending them out, $1 each from KevinL is a fair price if you only need a few pieces.

OddBall

Newly Enlightened
Yep, I only need about 5 or so, maybe 10... with postage... might have to bust open the piggy bank /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Still...it's up to KevinL and if he is selling.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yup, I'm breaking down the larger quantities for the CPF'ers who aren't buying 100. I expect to have a few more later this week, the delivery is late..

Oddball, it's only $11 for 10 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif (that's including shipping)

smitty244

Newly Enlightened
There are also a couple of group buys going on right now in the Group Buy forum for these too, though KevinL might have them a little sooner too

Turbo_E

Enlightened
I have a few 20k mcd for sale if anyone is interested $0.75 each shipped. 10 for $7.

PeLu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nichia themselves rate their 20° 5mm LEDs as 22-31 cd for their highest rank V for 20mA
No higher ranks given now in their doku, AFAIK

jtr1962

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
PeLu said:
Nichia themselves rate their 20° 5mm LEDs as 22-31 cd for their highest rank V for 20mA
No higher ranks given now in their doku, AFAIK

[/ QUOTE ]
I thought so. 31 cd might put the efficiency right around the 60 lm/W mark. We'll have to wait for 100 lm/W efficiencies before we see ratings of 50,000 mcd.

mykall

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
KevinL said:
The brightest that we have publicly available (ie. buy it today) is a 26000mcd LED.

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't the MJ is it? I thought I remembered the
MJ rated at 26k. If not I guess I'm way off. Still
looking for a few MJ's even though the Shoppe and
Kevin (Lambda) don't have any and don't when they'll
get any.

MB

cy

Flashaholic
Don't know about ratings, but received two different batches of 26K 5mm led's. none so far are equal to MJLED.

rube

Newly Enlightened
The description of the MJLED says its a cut dowm 26000 5mm LED modified by Arcmania. Any instructions on how to make an LED into an MJLED, or is that a trade secret. Inquiring minds want to know.

Tritium

Enlightened
I don't know about the MJLED since I have not seen one except in pictures but I have 5mm 1/2W 100 ma continuous current leds from ISP in Korea. I grind them down on a diamond flat lap I use for lapidary work. (180 grit diamond lap) I just grind down to about 1mm above the die holder in the LED then polish for a few seconds on a corian lap with embedded with aluminum or tin oxide. Polishing realy doesn't seem to be a necessary step since the reason to grind it down is to convert it to a side emitter but It improves the overall appearance of the finished LED. All this is done with a water drip for cooling and to remove ground away plastic "swarf". It could be done with fine sand paper and a wood block by drilling a hole through the block to allow the led to pass through leads first. The hole would be stepped to let the led skirt sit deep enough so that the only protruding "tip" of the led to be removed would be ground away to near the die when the block surface reached the sandpaper surface. Hope that description is clear. I call mine the TLED. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

Here is a beamshot of a 26K mcd ground down from e-bay on the left and a large die ISP 1/2W 100ma ground down on the right (TLED). Sorry about the shot on the glossy wall. Both are hosted DD in a AA MiniMag.
TLEDBEAMSHOT.jpg

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm sold on the 26K LEDs! Nitroz modified my Gerber Infinity Ultra with one, and it's now brighter than an Opalec Newbeam module...NOTICABLY brighter in a side-by-side comparison! In fact, I have quite a few 5mm "3-banger" lights, and my 26K modded Infinity Ultra is brighter than any of them. Modding just about any 5mm LED flashlight with these things will most definitely breathe new life into them!

PJD

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Rube - The MJLED actually is not a 26,000 mcd, but is a 5mm package around a huge die. Much bigger than usual. They like to run at about 100 ma current, whereas the 26'ers run about 20 ma, a little more if you overdrive. I have no modding experience with the 26'ers, but do with the MJ's... and from what I'm reading around here, the MJ's are king.

The grind and polish work I also have no direct experience with and don't know Mike Jordan's process, but I've seen recommendations for wetsanding using 1500 grit automotive sandpaper, then finishing with plastic polish. You can get an idea of the grind angle and die size comparison from this thread MJLED drop-in for MiniMag 2AA