USL Field test thread

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
The USL field testers should be receiving their lights beginning today. I would ask that they please post any findings in this thread.

Bill

nethiker

Enlightened
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

I came early to get a good seat. This promises to be a good show.

Greg

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was also looking forward to this thread, but it's gonna be even better for me than I expected. When I got home this evening I found a) a really nice Power Supply, and b) a delivery notice for another package!

Thank you, Bill, or make that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/santa.gif ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

You've been so gracious and fun to help out on this project, but I was still completely caught off guard! What an honor...

I will definitely be posting something here tomorrow!

Man, I wish my father hadn't retired as our Postmaster. I'd be on the way to get his help tonight!

Now, if I can just manage to get to /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sleepy.gif tonight!

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ray has the original USL waiting for him. I'm surprised he didn't go down to the post office and bang on the back door until someone answered!

It has been the most used and abused, obviously, with something like 15-20 runs on the pack at this point. It is still just as bright as the others, as evidenced by the pics I took last week.

It does have a smooth reflector, but other than that and the cosmetics of the funky switch it works beautifully.

I just thought that it might as well be out there being tested by someone in case I, Jim, or Modamag missed something!

Have fun with it Ray!!

Bill

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Had I known it was the original, you betcha I'd have blazed a trail over there!

Gee, Bill, I'll try to have fun, but it may take some effort...NOT! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

litho123

Enlightened
Bill - Thanks for the opportunity to field test one of these lights.

I received my first package today.
With notice in hand I tracked down the local postal carrier and he was gracious enough to drop the second package off when he finished his daily route.

Carefully inserted the bulb, threw the switch and /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/str.gif WOW! This 'lil guy lights up big time!

I can't wait until it gets dark tonight and I can test in the rain. Will post more later.

Greg

nethiker

Enlightened
--Bill, you've made Ray a very happy camper. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

--Greg, Come on. Why wait? You could go into the closet, close the door and switch it on. I'd love to hear your report. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Greg

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
I kept an eye on the receiving dock all morning, and no joy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Our mail comes shortly before I depart for home and there were 2 USPS Priority boxes for me. I immediately took them to the shop and opened them. Sweating/drooling, managed to install virgin bulb without touching it.

I had the next 20 minutes to walk around and show it off. By the time I headed for my truck, there was a lynch-mob forming. (Fortunately, they had to form by sound and touch, or I might not have made it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif )

The first test I had planned was the "Fahrenheit 451" (paper ignition) test. I was going to be very methodical in the spirit of things. Well you know what happens to best laid plans. I set the USL on a V-block on my garage floor, found my stopwatch, and tore off the front page of the Orange County Register, which I crumpled into a wad the size of my fist. I placed the wad ~3" in front of the USL. I was so intent with synchronizing the stop watch with the USL's switch that I failed to turn the camera on. After simultaeneous clicks of the USL and stopwatch, I grabbed the camera as smoke immediately(!) started coming off the wad. I got the shot at 14 seconds, but it probably lit at ~10.

site1094.JPG

(No, I didn't waste any Halon!)

Next came the cooking challenge. Smallest eggs my market had were medium AA. After spraying some Pam on the front of the USL, I cracked one into a bowl and used a syringe to remove a bunch of the white. (Of course, not enough as I quickly discovered as I poured it onto the USL's lense. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif ) I turned it on and started the watch. The yolk was almost too bright to look at! At about a minute, steam/smoke was rising. I actually had to turn it off twice (for a couple of seconds) to check progress! Anyway, at 2 1/2 minutes it was better than sunny side-up with some confused cooked white. Dinner is served!

site1095.JPG

Next came the cleanup. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

site1096.JPG

It took 5 minutes with a damp cloth and some dish detergent but cleaned up to new condition! (Unlax, Bill. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif )
Yeah, I should have used a ring stand and clamp above the egg in a pan, but the pan accessory isnt available yet.

I hope to post some less comic beamshots over the next couple days. This thing rocks, Bill!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

Larry

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh no. Now that there's proof, we're gonna have to offer all the accessories, Bill. What have we started...

Well, Larry, I guess that leaves bacon and pest control to the rest of us, huh? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
Larry,

You are indeed a man after my own heart . Best laugh I've had all month
rollin.gif

I always knew you had your head screwed on straight - real tests for the real world. None of this shining it at a white wall and how long till half brightness stuff. You're giving us data we can really use, like how long does it take to cook an egg, start a fire, etc. I'd love to see some more real world tests, but you can stay away from the KC toss test.

The two tests you chose to perform first are exactly the ones I was most interested in
campfire.gif
hungry.gif
Inclassable34.gif
. The cleanup looks a little tedious, so I think I'll start working on my own mini-fry pan right now.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
It has finally reached quality dark outside, and I'm about to go remidy that! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I was sweating bullets while cleaning it(!) but it really did clean up to new. (Whew!)

The one I received is pewter, and very nice! We will have to come up with an effective "safety" for them as smoke off that newspaper wad was immidiate! You definately don't want to just toss one of these things into your glovebox!

From Ray's post, I hesitate to speculate what he'll be cleaning off of his tomorrow! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Awsome!!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

Larry (Headed outside /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif )

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Larry,

OMG! That was the best laugh I've had for weeks and weeks! And an informative laugh session, too! I knew someone would set newspaper on fire, but I honestly never dreamed that someone would cook an egg on the lens. AWESOME! I love it! I love it! You are da bomb, Larry.

This has got to be an historic CPF event. Next to this, EDCing a USL will be nothing surprising. Dang, Larry, that was just too cool. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Thanks, Jim(s), You don't know how much fun it was! (Or maybe you do!)

I just got back from some play (I mean evaluation) outside. I played with the focus, and there is little effect presumably due to the axial filament in the lamp. On the way, I lit-up the livingroom windows of my next door neighbors. Their lights were on inside. (Friends and budding flashaholics. He has a G2 and just bought her a C2.) She came out, and had to, uh, fondle it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I still haven't run down the charge Bill shipped it with, which is cool as I have some off-white wall paint needs peelin'. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Larry

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Oh, and if, like me, you are in the never-ending search for your happy a**, be veeery careful! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Larry

Paul_DW

Enlightened
ROFL .......... excellent pics!!

Enough to dream about for now those, but where is the tree in the field one?

with a shot of say an M6 or TL85 to compare to?

Gimme that and it will be all over /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Can't wait!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

mmattoon

Newly Enlightened
Larry,

The egg trick is sick, demented, and just plain strange. I highly approve. I can see a new thread coming soon: "The USL Cookbook" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Mark

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
I finished the charge it was shipped with as I saw it was dimming in my livingroom. I shut it off and waited a few minutes. I turned it back on and it was very bright, but rapidly dimmed. I will set-up the charger and power supply tomorrow, and report.

Without even testing, I can say it is going to completely eat my M6 for lunch! We're talking different leagues!!!! (The Beast is a different story, but it has twice the aperature, and is incapable of cooking anything other than your retinas from up close. (If you could voluntarily open your eyes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif ) This thing is figuratively/literally HOT!

The "Hotwire guys" have created a real winner here!!!!

Larry