190 lumen Luxeon III Released

*Retired*
SAN JOSE, CA (March 31, 2005) --- Lumileds Lighting today announced a quantum leap
in LED technology with new red, red-orange and amber LEDs that pump out recordbreaking
typical lumens per package of 110 for Amber, 140 for Red and 190 for Red-
Orange, tripling the industry benchmark previously set by the company's Luxeon family
of solid-state light sources and quadrupling the performance of other LEDs.

Notice the 1400mA current level and 6 C/W rating.

http://www.lumileds.com/newsandevents/releases/PR35.pdf

http://www.lumileds.com/products/family.cfm?familyId=7

New Luxeon III Datasheet out:
http://www.lumileds.com/pdfs/DS45.PDF

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
Holy crap!

Vf typical of 2.95V at 1400mA. The current Lux I R/O would have a Vf of 4.5V at that current. At 190lm typical, it's still up at 46 lm/W.

At 350mA, you'd get about 53 lumens, with a Vf of 2.25V. That's roughly 67 lm/W, or about 22% better than the Luxeon I R/O typical output.

(all of the above is based on Tj=25C, just to compare relatively).

[edit]

Just looking at my above statement, I realized something. The emitting materials probably haven't changed with these new colored Luxeon IIIs. Still the same output at a given current (~55 lm at 350mA). The output/temperature curve is the same. But, the Vf is lower, the dynamic resistance is lower, and the thermal resistance is lower. This tells me that the junction/semiconductor materials probably haven't changed, but a major packaging overhaul has reduced resistances, both thermal and electrical. Just a guess.

With a perfect heat sink, 6C/W R(j-c), at 1.4A, output degrades to 75%, so output is now about 140lm typical.

The press release mentions automotive applications, like brake lights, etc. I think this spells the beginning of the end of incandescent lights in autmotive signalling applications.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hotlips, Mag2C, direct drive, load it up and let it rrrrrrrrrrrrrrip!!!!! (think I have a spare sink too)

Where can I buy one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

cy

Flashaholic
wonder why lumineds don't show white's spec's when driven at 1.4amps

wquiles

Flashaholic
Man, 190 lumens is right at the lower edge of the famous X3T unobtainium LEDs /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wow.gif

Will

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, good news on the Vf!!! I was wanting to upgrade to a 3W R/O, but didn't want to give up my 2 cell config.

Only question is now, how long will alks last at 1.4amps? Probably only for 30secs before going down to 600ma /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif So you'll still probably need a boost circuit, and 2 NiMH /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bet you won't get much more than 700mA or so DD off 2 alkalines.

at 1.4A, 3 alkalines + LDO regulator would be pretty good. Efficiency wouldn't be great initially. If the batteries drop to 3.9V under load, then you'd be at about 76% initially (not counting losses in the cells), getting better as the cells died.

3 NiMH cells would be a little more efficient, however, the regulator and LED Vf would allow the batteries to be deeply discharged before dimming significantly.

2 Lithium AAs would work pretty well though.

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
cy said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Those are still the original Luxeon III LEDs, and the specs haven't changed on those. Newbie has called the new Luxeons the Luxeon IV (4) several times, so I'm assuming that's going to be the official name. I would suspect that they would be a new, separate part, with their own datasheet and specs.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
evan: what is LDO? buck? How well would a boost circuit w/2 NiMH C's do? I still want to keep the 2C Mag form factor!

So if the Lux(4) is going to be in 7 colors, then does that mean we will have a R/O that is even better than these? > 190lumens!?

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
cy said:

[/ QUOTE ]

thats because... They really are scared... and probably they dont know US... we CPF People /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif ... and they think we will burn the White Phosper's /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif because the Tj will be too high for US to Handle /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I think... they are waiting for some more testings (its just my guestimate)... untill they are out with Relese of the *New* Luxeon I (or shall i say it IV) !... Name Does Matter! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

any way... its a good news.... Let Lumens RoCk

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
waion already has some red 3 watt units of some kind for sale.
I already ordered 5 of them.
1 for a Q3 and 4 for a b2eze 3c maglite led mod. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif

I wish they were 190 lumens each though.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

Rossitron

Newly Enlightened
I was going to reply to my thread on these buggers, but this may be a better place...

I gave future electronics a call the other day acting like I was going to order them, and was quoted that these parts will be shipping to them in May.

Damn, 190 Lumens from the "Typical" Red/Orange... That means the "Typical" Red/Orange is going to be a very high W flux bin.
As the X flux bin starts only 2 more lumens over "Typical", I guess we'll be seeing Y and Z bins added. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drool.gif

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
IsaacHayes said:
evan: what is LDO? buck? How well would a boost circuit w/2 NiMH C's do? I still want to keep the 2C Mag form factor!

[/ QUOTE ]

Low Drop Out. Typically, we're talking about a linear (resistive) regulator, where a pass transistor is used to act like an infinitely variable resistor. I have a design that has a minimum dropout voltage of less than 0.1V, which means the regulator maintains regulation until the input voltage drops below the LED Vf + 0.1V.

I'm not sure how well the typical boost regulator will do with 2 NiMH cells going to ~3V, especially at 1.4A. Let's say the C cells maintain 1.2V at around 2A. Given an 85% efficient boost regulator, you'd need to draw just under 5W of power from the batteries. At 2.4V, that's 2.1A of current draw. I'm not sure there are many boost regulators that have a switch current that high. I'm sure Newbie knows of a couple (Probably one of the TI parts).

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast
They don't list specifications for white parts at 1.4A because that part isn't supposed to be driven at 1.4A. The more you overdrive the LED above its rated currents, the faster the phosphor degrades, and the faster the LED dies. One of the virtues of the LED is it's long lifespan, and by overdriving it you throw that out the window and may as well be using a fancy incandescent that you can count on replacing if you use it often enough. This part is obviously rated at 1.4A because it can withstand those currents without decreases in the lumen maintenance of the diode, the others can't.

These red Luxeon IIIs are still Luxeon IIIs. The new parts aren't available yet, and won't be for a while yet. I think, and I'll let someone else more qualified than I verify this, the reason the red parts produce so much more light at similar current levels to other LEDs is because the color red uses far less energy than any of the others (hence why you don't lose your night vision with red lighting vs. blue, white, green, etc.)

Carbonium

Newly Enlightened
I already placed my order and verified stock.

171 in stock of the LXHL-PL09 LML Amber
500? in stock of the LXHL-PB09 LML Blue
817 in stock of the red LXHL-LH3C LML Orange/Red Star 190 lumen

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Carbonium, so did you get some R/O LuxIII's? I'll be watching for a post w/pics of your mod!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
190lms for RD/RO leds only /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Boo hoo..

Latest posts