Dog training with flashlights?

tankahn

Newly Enlightened
Hi, I got a mixed puppy that I am training it to improve her chances of adoption. I lost my last clicker (a cricket clicker designed for dog training) and am about to order again. I checked the site and it says that you can always train a deaf dog by using a flashlight to get her attention. I use flashlights for all kind of non-related stuff, like using it as an itch cure (turn it directly to your itch spot). I might as well give this new tool a try(training pets). Any pointers? I got the KL1 that should be bright enough.

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
Couple of thoughts.

1) Unusual training approaches may not be the best for a dog going up for adoption - just covering the basics may be the best way to improve her chances.

2) Remember what is uncomfortable to you (a KL1 in the eye) is going to be uncomfortable to her.

-john

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are looking for a visual method, you might think about hand signals.

There are more or less standard signals for heel, sit, stay, stand, come, stop, down, and go potty. I think any buyer would be pretty impressed with just sit, stay, and come.

I am not real comfortable with training a dog to respond to objects as opposed to direct personal commands. Flashlights might be useful for a search dog, but I would worry about signals inadvertently being given by other people, or possibly automobiles.

The methods I used to train my dog come from the Monks of New Skete: www.dogsbestfriend.com . There is also a lot of info for "working dog" training at www.leerburg.com . I'm not much of a clicker guy.

Scott

2dim

Enlightened
Firm, consistent and ALWAYS kind...dogs will naturally bond and attune themselves to owners, particularly ones they love and trust. Far more difficult for us to read them...those who care enough to learn, though, will be richly rewarded!!!

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
John N said:

Couple of thoughts.

1) Unusual training approaches may not be the best for a dog going up for adoption - just covering the basics may be the best way to improve her chances.

2) Remember what is uncomfortable to you (a KL1 in the eye) is going to be uncomfortable to her.

-john

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto.

Jeff

tankahn

Newly Enlightened
Thanks beezaur for the good advice and the links. Clicker traiining sounds like what we learnt in psychology class - Pavlov conditioning etc, but real life does not follow theory I supposed.

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pointers? Nope, I've got a lab mutt. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

Ahem, cough, cough...

I've found that consistant training with both verbal and hand signals works best. Be careful not to use confusing signals, i.e.: instead of saying, "No," or "Down" to keep the dog from jumping on you or someone else, use the command, "Off." There is a book I studied and used to train my dog, IIRC the title was Good Dog, Bad Dog (or something close to it). Training the dog was easy.

However, getting the rest of the household to use the same commands and to use the signals, too, was not. That is a very important factor in having a well trained dog. And a well behaved dog is a whole lot easier to take care of.

And often family or friends will try to get the dog to do things she knows she is not supposed to do. They'll say that it's OK to let the dog up on furniture, to be fed from the table, or to jump on them. It's not. It's no more acceptable than condoning children who behave badly and having people outside of the immediate family tell you how to raise your children. It makes bad behavior acceptable and confuses them about authority, which complicates learning and discipline.