Streamlight Jr Luxeon or Tasklight Luxeon?

roderic41

Newly Enlightened
Hi everybody. I was just tossing up between these two lights. The Junior has a regulator and a three watt led but the Tasklight luxeon is a 3aa size which is one I wanted to try. According to the tests I read at Flashlightreviews the Junior is brighter and has better throw. No runtimes were mentioned for the Tasklight although I presume without a regulator it will become progressively dimmer anyway.
Is the Tasklight worth considering or just get the Junior?
Thanks.

cognitivefun

Enlightened
I think the Junior has a better form factor. It will run on NiMH rechargables. Runtime is over one hour on full brightness. This is a light that I would pick to give to relatives and non-flashaholic friends as it can be stuck easily in a purse or a pocket (handy clip), runs on AAs, and is quite bright. I like the clickie.

So I guess I'd go with SL Jr.

Mark2

Enlightened
The Junior uses a 1W Luxeon, not a Luxeon III. Streamlight rates the Junior Luxeon at 31 lumens and the TaskLight 3AA Luxeon at 28 lumens. I would go for the Junior because of the regulation and the more compact and lightweight body.

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have both.

The 3AA Task Light has MUCH longer run time, though it will dim over time. I find it more desirable as a "work" light.

My examples are pretty much the same brightness.

I prefer the 3AA Mag type switch over the kroll on the Jr.

The Jr.'s knurling is slippery compared to the 3AA Task Light.

MrMom

Enlightened
Have both. Use the Jr. often in the woods.

In my case, hands down, the Junior is top pick. Smaller L and W, brighter, whiter, regulated, nearly 2 hours with NiMh, Kroll with momentary action, optic un-screws for wide flood.

DimBeam

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
MrMom said:
Have both. Use the Jr. often in the woods.

In my case, hands down, the Junior is top pick. Smaller L and W, brighter, whiter, regulated, nearly 2 hours with NiMh, Kroll with momentary action, optic un-screws for wide flood.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree with the above. The switch is perhaps a tad too hard when activating.

The_virus

Enlightened
I have both as well, and I EDC the JR Luxeon. The 3AA TaskLight is much longer due to the extra AA cell, this puts the TaskLight beyond what you could easily carry in a pocket or purse, so the convenience of the size is a limiting factor for this light. It will run longer though and dim over time like mentioned before.

It just depends on what you're looking to get out of the light. Generally speaking I'd say the JR Luxeon is better mostly because it's regulated and sits a step above what most other companies are offering in a pocket 2AA light. The 3AA TaskLight is less "original" I guess, a single Lux running off 3AA cells? Take your pick and many companies have done something similar, although maybe with only 2 cells. In a 3AA unregulated Luxeon light, I'd be more inclined to pick up a Gerber LX 3.0, it has a Lux III, as I said it is unregulated, but is obviously brighter than either the JR Luxeon, and the 3AA TaskLight, although it is roughly the same size as the TaskLight.

roderic41

Newly Enlightened
Well I'd like the 3aa but I'll wait till one with regulation comes out. I just read an unconfirmed whisper that Elektrolumens may bring out a 3aa version of the XM-3.
I thought it was a no-no to use rechargeables in the Junior? But you guys seem to be doing it and no real problems?
Thanks for all your imput.
Oh by the way, you're not the same cognitivefun who posts on Bladeforums are you?

cognitivefun

Enlightened
I just love the SL Luxeon Jr. I think it is the finest light in its class--a pocketable (shirt pocket) regulated luxeon that runs on AAs and that is well made. I have found Streamlight's customer service to be outstanding and the light is very reasonably priced. It's also a great performer. The Tasklights are okay but they are not in the same class.

nikon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've always loved my Tasklight 3AA, more so now that I've replaced the original Lux with a high dome. Great beam, very bright, long runtime. Too long for EDC, but excellent for long walks at night, working on the house, etc..

Regulation?!! We don't need no stinkin' regulation...

roderic41

Newly Enlightened
LOL Nikon..It's very tempting to get both..Is it difficult to put in a high dome? What brand was it etc? Where from? Bearing in mind I know very little about modding or where to go for parts. Thanks, Rod.

nikon

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can use any brand star type to replace the original low dome Luxeon. I used an inexpensive Luxeon clone which I bought in B/S/T. Doing the replacement is easy; if you can solder you can do this mod. Unscrew the front of the bezel, then look into the front of the light. You'll see a six-sided opening. That's the inner part of a ring which you must unscrew. I used a spanner wrench to remove the ring. If you don't have one, find something to fit snugly between two opposing points of the opening and turn counter-clockwise. The star is screwed to a heatsink. Remove the screws and unsolder the two wires. Solder the new star in place and screw it back down. You may have to adjust the position a bit to get it perfectly centered. Then put the ring and bezel back on and you're finished. Remember that this light is focusable, so you can fine tune the beam.

roderic41

Newly Enlightened
Well that sounds easy enough to me, thanks for that. I think I'll get both lol. I have ONE final question and then I'll leave everybody alone.
Streamlight themselves say not to use rechargeables in these but people seem to. So I guess I'm just asking if rechargeables are OK despite what streamlight says? I would be using the 1600 mAh type.
Thanks, Rod.

AtomSphere

Enlightened
I would like to correct everyone on the Streamlight Jr Luxeon runtime. I hav timed the Streamlight Jr Luxeon running on 2500mAH NiMH batteries and it went to 2h45min fully regulated!

AtomSphere

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
recon225 said:
[ QUOTE ]
roderic41 said:
The Junior has a regulator and a three watt led

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't the Jr using a 1 watt luxeon?

[/ QUOTE ]

yup! its a 1 watter! not a 3watt luxeon

RealGambler

Newly Enlightened
Don't forget that Streamlight does not recommend using NiMH's although it works. Just make sure the plastic hull is intact so the body of the NiMH can't have contact to the lamp.