Gmail now offering 2GB of storage

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gmail appears to be doubling the limit on account storage. At least I think this is legitimate in spite of the fact that it is April Fools day today (their 4/1 joke was that they will offer infinity plus one GB to each user). They have also added some text formatting options and a few other features that help round out the system.

I just thought I would post this due to the generally high interest in Gmail on this forum. I am a happy user myself thanks to an invite shared by another CPFer.

diggdug13

Flashlight Enthusiast
it's a slow build up to 2GB, this morning I had 1.16 GB, now I'm up to 1.386GB, and I"m only using 43mb of email. So it does look like it's gonna be 2GB

Doug

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm at 1.371 GB right now. I sure hope this is legit.

I found a program that allows you to use Gmail has a hard disk for files. The only restriction is that your individual files can't be larger than 10mb.

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
I personally think even 1GB is far more than I would ever use. If I get an email, I read it and then trash it.

But lots of storage is a "selling" point.

And by the way, I heard that Gmail is cracking down on those programs that attempt to turn Gmail into a virtual hard drive. They change their settings so they stop working. Of course people will always find ways around that, but it is a violation of the terms of use, so I hope that tips to do that are not posted here.

code09

Enlightened
im at 1448....currently using 60MB of my space /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Has anyone even gotten to the 500 MB point? I find it hard to imagine how many emails 500MB would be.

theres another email service offering 1 terabyte of email storage....www.hrider.com
I havent signed up for it yet...anyone?

code09

Enlightened
wow... i just checked out the rich formatting on gmail, i must say its quite impressive....its sorta like a word processor...but its all online!

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am a Yahoo User... I already have 2 GB Email ... Of Course.. I pay for it(19 bucks a year).. but then it's got a good Spam and Email ID Protection tools... It also has Email Scanner.....

Surprising... that Google does not have any AV scan Program... before downloading attachments... What good does this do?

bobisculous

Flashlight Enthusiast
I personally think GMail is great. They are doing whatever it takes to be 'better' and thats neat. The new Rich Text idea is fabulous. I know others have it, but Google doesnt seem to slow down at all. They just keep getting more and more neat stuff.

And the best part is that Google CEO's have a good sence of business humor and make a April Fools page...thats just, cool.

Cameron

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
all these huge email accounts is kinda like the all you can eat buffets... they could base storage limits on the average of all people that use it and find out that only a few use more than a hundred megs of space ever. Perhaps everyone one day will have high speed and send video emails and then the huge space will be much needed.

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Gmail account storage just exceeded 2050 MB and is still growing. It looks like they are going beyond the 2GB mark.

I really have to hand it to Google. The way they have been marketing Gmail by making it exclusive and now rolling out the upgrade in a dramatic way, all to create buzz. They are creative!

diggdug13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ya'll gotta take a look at the login screen and your storage limit for Gmail. it's going up PAST 2GB I'M over 2050mb already and it's still climbing. and I have almost 50mg in my archive.

doug

JOshooter

Enlightened
I'm currently at 2050 too, and I only have 12 mb used! Not to say that it's overkill, if something comes up, I'll be ready!