April Fools Day

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm kinda embarrassed to admit this,
but what started this holiday anyways?

What are some of the best april fools jokes anyone here has managed to do?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

Malpaso

Enlightened
Best one I pulled was changing the login script on my payroll manager's computer so that when she logged in it said that all personnel files had been deleted.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I remember correctly the start of this tradition is rather non-PC /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Some ethnic group of immigrants, i think it might have been the chinese I can't remember, celebrated the new year on April 1 instead of Jan 1 and were made fun of for this. Or that could be something else, i can't remember...

Best ones I've done are just the hanging up of official looking memo's about silly things /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Like the one at a previous job that announced the grand opening of the pedestrian tunnel between our 2 buildings and then go to see how many people showed up in the basement during their lunch hour! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

B@rt

Flashaholic
From this site: [ QUOTE ]
The history of April Fool's Day or All Fool's Day is uncertain, but the current thinking is that it began around 1582 in France with the reform of the calendar under Charles IX. The Gregorian Calendar was introduced, and New Year's Day was moved from March 25 - April 1 (new year's week) to January 1...

[/ QUOTE ]
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

BF Hammer

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
3rd_shift said:
What are some of the best april fools jokes anyone here has managed to do?

[/ QUOTE ]

The best joke I ever managed was pulled on my mother. I was born a couple of weeks early on this date. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Geologist

Enlightened
Actually, it was in France when a King changed the calendar so that the year began on 01 Jan (this was to coincide with the rest of the world in trying to standardize the calendar system at least in Europe) for those who were still celebrating new years at the beginning of April they were considered "the fools" Avril Avril!

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
Someone at my school said something about people celebrating New Years on April 1st too.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Went into the studio one April Fools day, opened up all the cameras and threw a secret switch that I knew about, then closed them up. The crew came in later to find that the pictures in all of the viewfinders were upside down.