What driver for 3 watt fed by 3Ds?

BatteryCharger

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I ever finish getting all the parts together, I'll be putting 3 watt Luxeon in a 3D Mag. I was going to DD it on 3 NiMh, but I just purchased a huge amount of alkaline Ds so I think I'll just use those. What driver should I use that is fully regulated? I want to suck every last electron out of the D batteries, and I'd like to run the Lux at around 1-1.2 amps.

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
DD is the best way to suck every electron out of the cells. Currently, AFAIK there are no CC drivers available on CPF that is a buck/boost configuration. No doubt George is working on this....

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Wizard.... ah, yes, forgot about that one. Except power is *only* 520mA

AvroArrow

Enlightened
I was contemplating that exact question and started my own thread asking for advice regarding this. Here is the Link. For me, because of cost considerations, I went with LDO drivers (700ma & 1000ma), which acts sorta like a DownBoy when Vin > Vf, then switches to DD when Vin < Vf. I looked at the Wiz2 (up to 937ma), but it was over my budget since I needed to build 2-3 lights, otherwise I would have went with that.

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
For the most bang-for-buck if you want to get constant output build an LDO and use a low enough Vf lux.. best of both worlds.. and you can build the LDO for like $2

I am working on a similar problem 3-up lux in a 3D size light... if i can find a good driver solution i'll be posting what i find.

-awr

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
if you can find a high enough Vf luxeon you can use the likes of a fatman driver... if you use alks you'll be able to draw them down to .9V.. if you use NiMH that is a decent cut-off.. but the driver doesn't really have a solid 'cut off' at that voltage, just not designed to operate lower so not sure what i'll do.. there is a tweak to make it shut off when voltage is low in the case of rechargeables.

you are using a single lux, correct?

Actually.. since under load the Vbat is drawn down.. i was able to run a single J lux from the fatman driver .. maybe it was K, but i couldn't turn the power down lower than 600mA when normally you can dial it down to 40 or so.. solution: 2 emitters /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

So.. two emitters and a fatman works exceptionally well.. something to consider.. two lux3s any bin but T bright will get you 2500 lux if you use 20IMS reflectors.

-awr

chrisse242

Enlightened
I think the Wiz2 is the best you can use for 3cell-mag-lux3 applications. It will allow the use of either nimh or alkalines, can go up to nearly 1amp and should shut down early enough to protect nimh's from being overdischarged.

Chrisse

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Wiz2 is a great driver when using 3x NiMH batteries. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
if you cant find a high enough Vf Lux, then use 3 or 4 :)
for 28$ for a curcuit , how many luxes can you put in, to set the right specs just through raw power :)

put enough in, and the spring alone will be enough resistance /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
have enough in, when the batteries are doing 3v , you will still have 20 lumens .
put enough in, the poor alkalines will be crawling on thier hands and knees, instead of overpowering the luxes .

lets see $8.5 for a luxIII times 3 is 24$, 28-24=4 so you got 2-4 times the light, and 4 bucks for burgers at Mcdonalds :) a deal at twice the price.

ok so am a CHEEPSKATE /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif

wquiles

Flashaholic
andrewwynn,

If you can, I would like to learn more about the $2 LDO and the new one that you are working on /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Will

wquiles

Flashaholic
Andrew,

Thanks much for the link. Those tiny circuits you built looked awesome!

Now I have more reading/studying to do based on that great post /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Will