• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Feeler: Mica Heat Shields for Bipin Bulbs - UPDATE

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
<font color="red">Update 4/9/05</font>
I am putting this project on hold for the time being. The first reason is I'm still trying to secure a specific part that will make this drop-in be of greater, lasting value and performance. Secondly, Kiu is offering high-temperature bulb holders for Mag (but not MagCharger) in this thread. I'll be back once I have some positive news.

<font color="red">Update</font>
I have been investigating a more robust solution to the problem at hand and I think it will the closest thing to a fully engineered solution. With this new mod, thermal damage should be greatly reduced compared to using only a mica shield. It will also provide a larger focusing range. Of course, this all hinges on a custom part that I'm requesting a quote for. It will still require a mica shield for maximum protection but it will work with the MagCharger and MagBP.

Please stay tuned for more details. Until I can verify that this can be done, I'm going to hold off on fulfilling these V1.0 mica shields.

Thanks for your indulgence.
Wilkey

This is a thread to gauge interest in mica heat shields for G4 (4 mm pin spacing) bipin bulbs/sockets. For example, MagCharger and Mag C/D using the bi-pin socket mod. Welch Allyn bulbs work fine with this shield. You simply slip it onto the bulb pins and plug in the bulb as you normally would. No further modding is required.

The mica I use is pure 10.5 mil mica sheet with no binders and no adhesives and they'll take the heat of even the hottest superbulbs. You can read more about this shield here: MagCharger Heat Shield Testing.

These shields are only a part-way solution. The socket will still receive heat and will eventually sustain damage after prolonged use. The point of this part is to provide some added protection to a system that was never engineered to withstand the abuse that the WA01185, 1274, 1111, 1160 etc. can dish out.

Please post your interest in this thread. The price will be $5 per piece and two for $8 shipped USPS first class.

Wilkey

Hookd_On_Photons

Enlightened
Re: Feeler: Mica Heat Shields for Bipin Bulbs

I'll take 4.

Have you tried the hair dryer mica shield yet?

I'm going to look for hair dryers at some garage sales this weekend...

BVH

Flashaholic

I'll take 10.

It took about 12 minutes of uninterrupted use for my 1274 to begin smoking the bipin slug with the bulb raised about 1/16" above it. Any idea how much longer run time I would get using the shield?

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hooked, I only have one hair dryer and my wife will not let me touch it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BVH, No idea. No time tests were done in the past since no one knew that the slugs could be purchased as replacement parts so I didn't want to destroy my only MC. And it's been a while since anybody's revisited this issue.

I like the pure mica sheet I've used in the past because it is ruler flat and very consistent. Making one or two out of hair dryer insulation might be ok but I guarantee that making more than 15 or 16 of them will be a royal pain. In fact, even using the pure sheet it's a total drag. It's dirty, dusty and there's a >20% reject rate due to splitting and fracturing. Cutting and shaping this stuff is just a nightmare not to mention drilling two 1mm holes exactly 4mm apart.

Wilkey

wquiles

Flashaholic

I would buy two of them.

Let us know when you need payment /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Will

srue

Newly Enlightened

I'm in for 2.

I'm amazed anyone is willing to go through the hassle of producing these. You have my thanks.

-Stuart

kubolaw

Enlightened

Wilkey, you are a madman. If you go through with this, I'll take 4.

Thanks,

John

Nell

Enlightened

I would like two please.

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast

I probably have more of these than anyone but Wilkey and have used them on most of the my MagCharger mods and bipin mods.

(I bought a bunch from Wilkey when he made them last time and got some others in trades.)

They do work. My 1160 mods have minimal damage, some after months and months of use. The 1185 mods have a little bit more but show no functional problems.

Put me down for 10-20.

Bill

paulr

Flashaholic

One please. Might want a second one later if I get a Magcharger.

vacuum3d

Enlightened

I'll take a couple to play with. Still looking for a more permanent solution, though.

paulr

Flashaholic

I think the permanent solution is the replacement bulb base being made by Snoopy. I don't think he's posted about it for the past few weeks though, so I hope it's still happening.