How to remove Q3 bezel?

falconz

Newly Enlightened
Sorry if this was posted before, but is there any method to unscrew the bezel of a nuwai Q3?
It's way too tight n driving me nuts!

DreamScape

Enlightened
Hi falconz, done mine last week.
The bezel is secured with loctite.
Heat the bezel up with a hair drier,so it's warm then i used one set of grips around the middle of the Q3 then another set on the bezel.

I used a towel around the Q3 to stop marking it then twist.
As you look at the lense, twist it anticlock wise as if taking a lid off a jar /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif
Don't be light fingered with this little devil,
give it a good strong twist

To take the lens out requires a set of long nose pliers to go into the two small holes, then twist anti clock again /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sick2.gif

Hope this helps /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

falconz

Newly Enlightened
OH Thanks Alot Dreascape.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Gonna try that straight away!
Was wondering why everyone on this forum was able to get to their LED with ease!
Oh my hairdryer just burnt out! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif
Think I'll use hot water instead but will it harm the electronics or deform the lens?

dpled

Enlightened
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

[ QUOTE ]
DreamScape said:
Hi falconz, done mine last week.
The bezel is secured with loctite.
Heat the bezel up with a hair drier,so it's warm then i used one set of grips around the middle of the Q3 then another set on the bezel.

I used a towel around the Q3 to stop marking it then twist.
As you look at the lense, twist it anticlock wise as if taking a lid off a jar /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif
Don't be light fingered with this little devil,
give it a good strong twist

To take the lens out requires a set of long nose pliers to go into the two small holes, then twist anti clock again /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sick2.gif

Hope this helps /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I personally find it easier to get a zip-lock baggie, and insert the flashlight (without tailcap) in it then seal it and drop it in boiling water for about 3 mins. Remove from baggie and using a towel in both hands twist the head off. Works great.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

NetMage

Enlightened
Double-bagging is recommended to prevent leaks.

OTOH, I just twisted (hard) with two strap wrenches to open one.

rscanady

Enlightened
I personally use a butane cooking torch for a few seconds, dont even need to use strap wrenches and as long as you only do it for a few seconds on the bezel part you wont melt or deform anything. I have done 10+ QIII's this way to check bin codes.

Ryan

falconz

Newly Enlightened
Hmmm... Drowning in boiling water, strap wrenches, butane torches...The stuff we do to our Q3... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif
If only nuwai left the bezel alone in the first place.

My inital attempt at boiling the bezel failed....
will try to drown it longer... still dare not try the torch method yet but if i get desperate... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dedhorse.gif

falconz

Newly Enlightened
Finally had it open!
Thanx alot guys!

Checked out the bin code behind, it said: SX1KW and LXHLLW3C
What does it mean? Did I get a decent tint?

twentysixtwo

Enlightened
Same bin I had in mine.

S = flux (brightness) higher is better, but more $
X1 = tint. X1 is close to my favorite, it's slightly warmer than what appears to be the most popular, W0, which, to me, is a little blue.
K = Vf (forward voltage) Lower will give you a higher current draw and therefore brighter light, caveat is if you driving direct, too low means you may toast your star

rscanady

Enlightened
With a k bin for the Vf you should use a R123 cell to drive that guy DD, and then when you get the money buy a TxxK star for it to upgrade, that K in is perfect for DD with a R123 cell, thats how i run mine and woohoo is it sweet.

Ryan

rscanady

Enlightened
20 6 2,
When I get those 26K 5mm guys I can mail you a couple if you still want them? Let me know by PM

Ryan

falconz

Newly Enlightened
rscanady,

How do u run it DD?
Do I still use back the same board in the Q3? Or do you have other suggestions?

BigPete

Newly Enlightened
After many boiling sessions I finally managed to get the bezel off. Now my only problem is removing reflector, is it also secured with loctite?

falconz

Newly Enlightened
Nope, it's not secured with loctite (I dun think the bezel was either. Think it's some sort of glue. Loctite dun come off so easily)
Just twist the reflector loose with a small pair of pliers with each end inserted into the two holes at the back of it.

BigPete

Newly Enlightened
I have tried a few times to move the reflector but it doesnt want to budge. Think I will heat again and see if that helps.