Q III Modded with Lux V

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Im playing with the idea to replace the Lux III with an LUX V.
Will it work?
And how to do it?
will the battery have sufficient power to pull it off?
Any good sites to buy LUX V`s?

Thanx Benny

wasBlinded

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is really no good reason to do this. A hard driven LuxIII will generate more heat than the Q3 can handle, and a LuxV would only be worse - unless you severely underdrive it and then whats the point since you could get the same amount of light from a LuxIII?

LuxV LEDs often have severe color shift when underdriven, and if its a WX1T you have, I doubt you would like the result. Its an interesting thought, but not really 'practical'.

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanx for the reply /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Is there any other lights out there about the same size with better throw?
I want the most powerful EDC light..
I cant seem to find much out there. I know there are some pretty decent modded lights out there.
But im not much of an modder myself,just keep braking the damn things /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Benny

Bogus1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just about any, if not all, LuxIII lights will have better throw than a LuxV with a small reflector like the Q3. You would end up with a flood with the LuxV. There are some really nice small LuxV mods that stood out however like MR BULK's mods (baby PIN I think). I think there was nice throw on those but they're pretty rare. For throw with LuxVs you generally need bigger reflectors (heads).

The Aleph1 with a NG driven at spec and the Lion Heart would work. If you want something cheap there are Q3 LuxIII mods being sold that are probably decent.

wasBlinded

Flashlight Enthusiast
Even the little Aleph2 throws a bit better than the Q3, since the Aleph2's hot spot is smaller and more intense.

With a given LED, throw is going to be largely proportional to reflector size, there is no free lunch! The reflector must be either larger in diameter (like a Mag-mod or Aleph 3) or it must be much deeper (like the Streamlight Propolymer Luxeon) to increase throw.

You just have to find your own happy medium of size vs. throw.

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
MorpheusT1,

If you want powerful in a small package, Try a Surefire E1e with a KL4 head and run it off of a rechargeable 123. Also, known as the TW4, it's my EDC of choice. You can even put a McE2S 2-stage switch on it for 2 levels of light.

Jeff

wquiles

Flashaholic
A better "solution" if you want to stick with the QIII would be to get a higher rated bin, say from "S" to "T", or fom "T" to "U", and even in that case the "T" might be on the high side and the "U" on the low side (assuming the same tint and Vf) and you would not notice any difference.

Of course, given the Luzeon lottery, you can get lucky and get a high output "U" bin - then you would be set!

On the QIII I would recommend a "T" bin with a "K" or "L" voltage for use with a rechargable cell - that would give you really good output on the QIII. I have a "J" voltage "T" bin and I know I am overdriving my LED wih the rechargables /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Will

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast
WOW! I didnt even know that i could put an KL4 Head on the SureFire E1E.
Will it fit without any modifications?
What about the battery time?
I guess that a LUX V head will suck the hell out of the single 123 cell.

Benny

wquiles

Flashaholic
Benny,

Yes, the KL4 on a 1xcell body does work well, but I can tell you by my current measurements that when working on 1 cell the circuit is not working as efficient as it could be and gets pretty warm:
KL4 vs. KL6 current

From the post above, from a single rechargable CR123 I got about 1.4/1.5 amps, and from two regular cells I got 900-950 mA. Both give you the same brightness. The two cell runs cooler.

Lastly, IIRC from prior posts, not all KL4's run well from a single regular cell (remember it was designed to run from two regular/primary cells). That is why using a rechargable cell works so well as these start off at a higher voltage which drives the circuit well.

Will

wquiles

Flashaholic
Everything is relative, but in general yes, the KL4 (same head as in the L4) is more about a beautiful flood than throw.

Will

diggdug13

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're looking for a good bright long distance thrower in an itty bitty package for the Norway nights the best that I've come across is the Lionheart. Bright with the throw that will amaze the neighbors (if they speak to you where you are in Norway) and blind the trees.

Until the LionCub with the Lionhead attachment comes the Lionheart is the best! both are REALLY expensive (apprix 1900+ NOK each not counting the Lionhead) but for the Norway nights it's all about the light!

*added NOK conversion amounts

Doug

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi!
Nice to see some Norwegians here /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Do you know any good Norwegian sites that sell Good Flashlites?
BTW:The Lionhead light sounds interesting,where can i buy that=?

Benny

And No my neighbours hardly even says hello..
Norwegians arent the nicest of people.

diggdug13

Flashlight Enthusiast
The lionhead is an attachment for the lioncub which is sold by Mr Bulk through TacticalWarehouse. SOLD HERE.

The light without the charger is 300.00 USD (U.S. dollar) and more with rechargable 123's and a charger. The Lionhead is going to be on sale when he gets it finished. it can be seen here lioncub with a lionhead next to a lionheart the Lionhearts are not being made anymore but you can still find them on b/s/t

I do not know of ANY norwegian sites or stores that sell ANY quality lights and all lights that I've seen are over 100.00 USD.

Benny is not a normal norwegian name are you a transplant from abroad? I'm only here in norway for a three year stint then back to the states for me.

Yea we found out that Norwegians aren't the nicest of people AFTER we got here, our neigborhood is a retirement comunity (I swear nobody but me under 70) and none speak I think all they do is glare...lol

Doug

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast
OMG!
Nice light....but the price is kinda stiff.
I`ll be wanting one of those for Cristmas /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Benny

diggdug13

Flashlight Enthusiast
yea they are kinda steap but they won't be around much longer and definatly not around around Xmas. If ur looking for a good bright light Check out the CPF Custom & Mod B/S/T forum there you will find some REALLY bright lights. Most people will ship overseas but it will cost more in shipping.

Unfortunantly the winter is over and the sun is up so I have to wait till late at night or go down to my basement and turnout the lights to see just how bright some of these lights are. But atleast I can bbq a big a$$ T-Bone now in my backyard and go to the beach and see all the Norwegian beauties. Thats one thing norway can definatly grow is some of the best looking women Ive ever seen.

enjoy your stay Benny but watch your wallet around here these guys KNOW how to take all ur money. they are like a vaccum in your PayPal accout.

Doug

ZeissOEM2

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
diggdug13 said:
The lionhead is an attachment for the lioncub which is sold by Mr Bulk through TacticalWarehouse. SOLD HERE.

The light without the charger is 300.00 USD (U.S. dollar) and more with rechargable 123's and a charger. The Lionhead is going to be on sale when he gets it finished. it can be seen here lioncub with a lionhead next to a lionheart the Lionhearts are not being made anymore but you can still find them on b/s/t

I do not know of ANY norwegian sites or stores that sell ANY quality lights and all lights that I've seen are over 100.00 USD.

Benny is not a normal norwegian name are you a transplant from abroad? I'm only here in norway for a three year stint then back to the states for me.

Yea we found out that Norwegians aren't the nicest of people AFTER we got here, our neigborhood is a retirement comunity (I swear nobody but me under 70) and none speak I think all they do is glare...lol

Doug

[/ QUOTE ]

Hello !
Yes it is not easy to get good flashlights here in Norway.Almost every store sells only mags and cheaper lights.Only a few sells another lights -ombu,surefire,streamlight etc..

Ps .Do You know that the Liberty Statue is half Norwegian. The copper outside of the statue comes from Visnes ,Karmøy-Norway.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Benny,

I wouldn't go through the trouble of modding a Q3 with a 5W. Considering the expense that you would have to go through to do it, you could have just gotten yourself an L4.

If throw is what you want, then you should stay away from the 5W lights, especially those that qualify as pocket lights.

A nice combination that offers good brightness, throw, and pocketability is an Aleph I on a 1X123 body. These lights are real pocket rockets. If you go for a bias of 750mA or so, you'll be able to run the light on either a single 123 or a single li-ion cell and get full regulation.

diggdug13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Benny,

tony has a good point he can build you a rocket of a light for nealy 1/2 the amount for a Lionheart or Lioncub.

However I will say to ask Tony to up the resistor so it could handle rechargables, because the 123's are brutally expenisve here in Norway. It would be far more economical for recharables.

Zess,
I didn't know that the brass came from Norway.. that's an interesting bit of history that I doubt I'll forget, infact I'll probably use it to get free beer out of people at the bar.

doug

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm still going to put a 'W' bin in my Q-III. I just need to locate a solid copper rod to make the heatsink with. Perhaps a BB750. If surefire can heatsink a Lux-V inside a KL4, I think it would be possible to heatsink the Q-III since I have the parts, anyways.

If it fails, oh well. I have some 'U' bins coming I can put into my Q-III (Elpa).

Jeff