Basics wanted on cremation procedure?

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unfortunately probably some of you have been thru a cremation process with a loved one. My Mom has terminal lung cancer and neither her nor my dad have any money for the funeral so it will be up to us kids to somehow foot the bill. She has expressed a desire to be cremated which I have been told is cheaper then a traditional burial.

What is involved in the procedure and how can it be done as cheaply as possible? I'm sure my mom would want it that way and any excess money we did have would be better spent on her wishes and needs while she is still alive. Can anything be done in advance to lessen the cost? One thing that comes to mind, do you still have to buy a casket for viewing during a wake? I have been searching the net for cremation basics 101 but so far have come up empty.

If the family does not have any money for a burial, what happens then, do the towns usually pay for it? Thanks for any input.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i wish i was more help.but i just wanted to say ya and ya family are still in my thoughts and prayers

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
Have you checked with her and others in your family to see if, in fact, anyone wishes to have a traditional wake? You could avoid a lot of costs that way. A very basic wooden coffin could be used in the place of an expensive, finished affair with lots of brass, etc. My mother is 84, going on 85, has Alzheimer's and we'll be facing the same decisions soon. My preference is to avoid the whole traditional funeral process. I think more and more families are preferring a non-religious, low-key approach. JMHO.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Raggie. Ma is doing ok for now. Because the chances of success were pretty low, she decided to forego chemo and radiation and let nature take it's course. We had a nice Easter last weekend.

Ken_McE

Flashlight Enthusiast
>She has expressed a desire to be cremated which I
>have been told is cheaper then a traditional burial.

Usually correct

>What is involved in the procedure

The remains are brought to the crematorium, they reduce them and the ashes are placed in a small container, about the size of a large coffee can. You can provide your own container. Then they are delivered or picked up.

>and how can it be done as cheaply as possible?

Shop around your area.

>I'm sure my mom would want it that way and any excess money >we did have would be better spent on her wishes and needs >while she is still alive.

I personally would be pissed if somebody tried to bury my in a casket that cost more than my car.

>Can anything be done in advance to lessen the cost?

Shop around.

>One thing that comes to mind, do you still have to
>buy a casket for viewing during a wake?

No, you can just sit the urn on a table.

>I have been searching the net for cremation
>basics 101 but so far have come up empty.

The funeral industry is built on the basic concept of exploiting people who are in distress. Better you should look around while you can still think straight.

>If the family does not have any money for a burial,
>what happens then, do the towns usually pay for it?

Don't know.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
Ken_McE said:
>If the family does not have any money for a burial,
>what happens then, do the towns usually pay for it?

Don't know.

[/ QUOTE ]
As far as I know, many communities have what's known as "Potter's Field" to bury the deceased when he/she or their family cannot afford a traditional funeral or burial.

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
I lived in a funeral home for three years. These folks have a tremendous profit margin in place (I don't blame them - they're in business to make money), but you may want to visit a funeral home and tell them you don't have much to spend. They've heard your story before, and would rather make a little money off of you as opposed to nothing. A family-run place would be better than one of the big-boy funeral home chains. Sorry you are having to face this.

best regards

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
In Alaska a casket is not required, but I've got a friend who's sister just passed away in New York - the state required a casket. Therefore, it looks like different states have different requirements.

Here one can be cremated (urn included) for a little under $1200 vs a full fledged arrangement that could run into the thousands.

It's certainly a smart thing to be "educated" with the requirements if one has the time. I agree it seems the "Funeral Business" can easily take advantage of those in that situation.

Prayers and positive thoughts to you and your family as well.