whats ya beef jerky recipe

raggie33

*the raggedier*
(notice makeing jerky can be unsafe due to the low temps while drying it) be safe maybe add a cureing agent.i dont use a agent but i recomend it. i get 1 cup a soy and 1 cup a worchester.add some brown sugar and some dryied habenro that i dryied my self. for a sweet and spicy taste i cut my meat like 1/8 inch use cheap meat .the leaner the better i cant say that enougfh.then i partaly defrost the meat if its frozen and if freash i freze it a bit so its eaier to cut.cut agaist grain i think is better in 1/8 inch strips to 1/4. let marante for like 20 hours in fidge.then put ya dehyadter on the highest temp it goes genaly then just dehadate it to its done.its genaly safer to use beef .and dont use ground beef i think it aint worth the risk.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Hey raggie..sounds pretty much like my jerky! I've never tried habanero on it though...sounds spicy indeed. I do like to sprinkle some black and/or red pepper on it though! Yummy!

Hey, we were missing our "In the Kitchen with Raggie" posts, glad you brought this one up! Now you know what I'll be making tomorrow! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

AESOP

Newly Enlightened
1 cup soya sauce
1 cup Worcester
2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
2 teaspoons black pepper
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons onion powder
4 tablespoonfuls liquid smoke
I find either the hickory or mesquite really adds to the flavour.
I found the best cut to be Eye of Round Roast, very lean as mentioned.

Gee, I wonder why my saliva glands are working overtime.

Michael

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i love jerky its so good..great for camping hikeing hect its is just great.....o let me add deer meat makes good jerky i dont hunt but i like deer meat

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
when i get a chance this is how i do it.
i dont like salt so much.
Flank Steaks, cut lenghtwise along the grain, so its stringy. do this while the brew is stewing or cooling.

get some water hot
toss in a LOAD of brown sugar
lemon pepper, so its light on pepper
onion and garlic salt (or power and salt seperate)
teryaki sauce, mabey a bit of soy sauce
sometimes molasses, and vanilla.
heat it, till it disolves into it good.
cool it back down again

toss the meat in After its cool
put it in the fridge for a day or so
the stuff "candies" becomes clear like
pull out oven rack
hang down on oven rack, so it doent touch (using 2 rails)
Line oven base with curled up heavy duty aluminum foil, to trap the dripping juices.
cook it at 150-200 depending on the rush
put mesquite chips on burner to start nice fire :) ok so i try not to start a fire in the oven, if you do it right, the mesquite will char and smoke but not flame, so it lasts a long time.
about when its ALL completly dried out, i have eaten it all off the rack, and its time to start again :)

even though sugar is a preservative like salt, the longevity is not so good, it will go bad in a month or so.