Reactor III owners..is it still puke green?

S4MadMan

Enlightened
I just received a Reactor 3 from Rick aka Sigman (Thanks!). The hotspot is a nice, bright white but the very outer edge of the beam is a bit pea green.

I'm not worried though, the lightoutput is great, better than my Collimator.

S4MadMan

Enlightened
Damn! I *DEFINITELY* need an LGI if it's that much brighter than my Reactor 3!
shocked.gif

QUESTION: my Reactor 3 seems a bit weird, I noticed if I twist half way between the lock settings, it's a significantly brighter. I don't know why. Any ideas?

Originally posted by shiftd:
My reactor 3 is great, though it is not as bright as my LGI. It has its own share against my collection of LGI (Mini, original and shorty)

LGI and reactor comparison
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Originally posted by S4MadMan:
QUESTION: my Reactor 3 seems a bit weird, I noticed if I twist half way between the lock settings, it's a significantly brighter. I don't know why. Any ideas?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">----------------------
I didn't notice that when I tested it. I only went to the full on & off positions though.
confused.gif

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">S4,
I must be missing something here. On my Reactor 3, the "lock settings" are OFF. Half way between these settings is ON. My light is significantly brighter in the On position than the OFF position too. :>) TX

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I went thru three original Reactor's and each beam was very different from the other. Maybe if the local EMS or Sports Authority carries it again, I'll give the III a shot.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Remember, you must NOT use lithiums in the Reactor III; only alkies like ordinary Duracells or Energizers.
grin.gif

I got mine from The LED Light over the weekend, though I haven't really had a chance to run the tests they asked me to.
blush.gif

Mine comes on pretty much as soon as the head is turned past the "off" stop, and has none of that "rotten dog urine" green color to its beam.
grin.gif

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yes, LGI IS brighter than reactor even though they used the same battery confiquration because the LGI from MR Bulk was hand and eyes sorted
grin.gif
I bet the luxeons of reactor is not as a high quality as that of Mr. Bulk's
cool.gif

The problem you mentioned probably only a connection issue.
rolleyes.gif

PocketLights.com

Newly Enlightened
The CMG Reactor 3 is significantly brighter than the CMG Reactor. However, the Reactor 3 has greenish tinge. In contrast, the Arc LSL produces a much whiter and slightly brighter beam. I feel the Reactor 3 is a good deal because it produces a lot of light for a $36 light.

S4MadMan

Enlightened
LMAO!!!
yellowlaugh.gif

Yeah, my R3 is WAY brighter in the ON position too.
winkie.GIF

More clearly, when you turn ON and OFF, the R3 "locks" into position. However, if I turn it about half way between the locking positions, the light source because significantly brighter, like I gained a 25% increase in light output.

I don't know what happened since I last posted but the "high output mode" (HOM) went away. Then just 60 minutes ago, I started turning it ON and OFF and the HOM came back. I'm home now and was going to take a picture of the difference in lightoutput but the HOM is gone again.
confused.gif

Regardless, the CMG Reactor 3 is a very nice light.

I'll keep trying to get that HOM back so ya'll won't think I'm crazy. I maybe a "MadMan" but I'm not crazy.
winkie.GIF
yellowlaugh.gif
yellowlaugh.gif
yellowlaugh.gif

Originally posted by txwest:
S4,
I must be missing something here. On my Reactor 3, the "lock settings" are OFF. Half way between these settings is ON. My light is significantly brighter in the On position than the OFF position too. :>) TX[/QB]

S4MadMan

Enlightened
Thanks for the info! I *MUST* have a Mr. Bulk LGI. I already asked (OK begged) for the recent "For Sale" one he put up...I should just ask Mr. Bulk to make me one...duh!
winkie.GIF

Regarding the weird high output, I'll try my best to reproduce it. It comes in spurts.
yellowlaugh.gif

Originally posted by shiftd:
Yes, LGI IS brighter than reactor even though they used the same battery confiquration because the LGI from MR Bulk was hand and eyes sorted
grin.gif
I bet the luxeons of reactor is not as a high quality as that of Mr. Bulk's
cool.gif

The problem you mentioned probably only a connection issue.
rolleyes.gif

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
shocked.gif

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by shiftd:
My reactor 3 is great, though it is not as bright as my LGI. It has its own share against my collection of LGI (Mini, original and shorty)

LGI and reactor comparison
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial"></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">My favorite one watt Luxeon Star is my Mr. Bulk! I have purchased 4 of them so far (and one mini, and a NexNeedle that is coming any day, it should blow away even my best LGI!

Mr. Bulk has some kind of CIA/Mafia/Tri-lateral commision/double agent/interpool/underground connection, where he gets, the cream of the crop, the absoultely best Luxeon Star LED's, the Whitest and the best output, and then with the help of some native voodoo doctor down there in Hawaii (Hawaii is the only state where a Texan can say "down there!"), he magicly turns a normal Brinkmann Legend 3AA into a light saber like product!

The next time he does an LGI run, you should consider getting one!

In the meantime, you always have the great stuff of dat2zip (I have two of his lights, and they are really nice too), and Lambda, and of course Elektrolumens is always making something exciting.

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
The Reactor III is my first LS light and I am impressed. It is bright and white. The white has a little less blue than my 5mm LED lights.
The off on switching is stiffer than I would like but better than not having a firm off position.
I do notice that in the on segment of the rotation I can turn the light off and on with a slight turn, but it is either on or off no hyper bright mode.
LMAO!!!
yellowlaugh.gif

Yeah, my R3 is WAY brighter in the ON position too.
winkie.GIF

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I notice this with my light also
smile.gif

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wits'End, You should try one of Mr. Bulk creation (or other creative and potent modders here at CPF)
smile.gif

frogmonk

Newly Enlightened
I have a Reactor 3 and read in an earlier thread that there is a resistor at the base of the tail cap where the spring is connected. I know that by removing the resistor the light will get brighter.

I did this and in fact the light output increase noticeably, even in comparison to a Mag 2AA w/BB500. Since I don't have any measuring devices, I really don't know how much light is being given off.

Can anyone tell mw how this will affect the life of the led?

I am really enjoying the improved light output of the Reactor 3. I dont use the light continously. It stays in my car's glove compartment.