Best Lux3 bins available?

Donovan

Enlightened
Still trying to learn about these luxeon bin codes! I have the basics down I think from searching other posts and this (and other) websites: Bin Codes Explained

What is the current (and near future) top of the line (white) bins for Lux3's? I assume there is no such thing as a XWOE!
Whats the highest flux available? Whats the lowest Vf?

AuroraLite

Enlightened
Hi, Donovan.

For Lux III, I think the most commonly found(which I think is better good) is the T**J bin Lux III. But we are seeing more and more 'H' bin (Vf) for the Lux III T flux. U**J is also currently surfacing and purchased in GB.

My experience is limited to what I see here on forum and my personal purchases, but I do think a good gauge for what is rare/popular is the price set(here on forum) for different bin and tint. While handling multiples of the same bin coded Lux III, I do see that there is great deviation of tint and brightness within the same bin with the naked eyes. Personally, I think TW0J(white, a little 'warm'), TX0J(white with a little hint of blue) and even TY0J(HID blue-ish white) are some of my favorite bin for Lux III /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Good luck!

Donovan

Enlightened
Just to clear up my questions... The flux or lumens is the output of the LED at its rated Vf or at a preset Vf? And if Vf is the min/max forward voltage does that mean a lower Vf bin is weaker or just more efficient?

So if you have a TWOJ vs. a SWOJ, the T will be brighter due to being a little more efficient? What about a TWOJ vs. a TWOH? Wouldn't that also mean a LED that's more efficient since it can output the same lumens at a lower voltage?
I assume a lower Vf bin would also have less waste heat? So ideally you want the highest flux bin at the lowest Vf, right?

Leeoniya

Enlightened
yes, lower vf is more efficient given the same lumen rating. less power goes to heat and more goes towards light.

the Vf is the forward voltage you'd expect to see on that bin when the rated current is put through it. all LEDs are rated for current. the Vf is adjusted to put the rated current through the LED. then the Lumens, are recorded as well as the Vf that was needed to push the rated current through the LED. therefore. a lower Vf at the same Lumen rating means the LED was producing an equivalent amount of lumens while consuming less power (Vf * rated current)

thats why the ultimate efficiency measure for any sort of light is measure in Lumens/Watt....that's lumens produced per unit of power (V*I) used.

Leon.

Donovan

Enlightened
Thx Leeoniya, that makes sense...

So what are the best/brightest bins available now or the near future? I assume the current bin code is also setup for future LEDs that don't exist yet. Is there such thing as a UWOH or a UWOJ yet?