Ten Million REAL Candle Power - Got me in trouble!

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok,

I've often wondered what 10,000,000 real candle power would be like. Not the fake 'Ten Million Candle Power' that most big spot lights claim, but ten million REAL candle power.

You know, the brightness of ten million candles all burning at once, focused into a beam of light. Well, I just had to build one. Technically, it's still a 'portable' light as I did carry out to where I set it up to photogragh, so that counts.

Any way, here's how I got in trouble with my new bright toy:

Ten Million Candle Power Test Light

Topper

Flashaholic*
I'm in Paypal standing by. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
thanks for the fun. I loved it.
Topper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

matt_j

Enlightened
At $32 for this candle your total would be at least $3320,000,000 plus tax plus 1 gallon of zippo fluid to light them up. I rather buy the beast.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Topper

Flashaholic*
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif maybe I better pass then.
Topper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

That's great!!!!!!!ROTFLMAO!!!!!!! (I'm glad it was a joke though and that no one actually got hurt of course) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks, that was funny!

cy

Flashaholic
Re: Ten Million REAL Candle Power - Got me in trou

more entertainment for today /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast

Now THAT'S a fire!

Remind me never to go camping in Iowa...

cognitivefun

Enlightened

where's Smokey when you need him? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

matt_j

Enlightened

57327724YMvEpZ_ph.jpg

Eric_M

Enlightened

Good thing you didn't test it inside!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nice page.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Your timing somewhat gave it away, 13 seconds to detonation was just a little bit too short. Around 9-10 I was wondering "That's too fast, do I smell Photoshop?" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Still, I had a good laugh, don't let that take away from what you've done. Your descriptions add a great deal to the realism in the early stages as it is building up /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Now I really need that Pest Elimination focusing Lens for the USL!

DarkLight

Enlightened

didnt fool anyone.....

duh start a fire and shine a light on it..

Hookd_On_Photons

Enlightened

I am willing to bet that within a week, some CPFer will post about his "Lambda 10M candlepower mod - now even BRIGHTER".

ZDP189

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the laughs. Oh how I want to try that for myself for real. I reckon you'd need a lot less than that amount of lighting to achieve ignition.

Say, I have a BIIIG question. I found this thread googling for calculation inputs.

A halogen bulb is supposed to have an efficiency of about 20 lumens/watt. I read that 12.57 lumens = 1 candle power.

Therefore these 1 million candlepower torches I see advertised with 50W bulbs should produce:

50W x 20 Lumens/W / 12.57 Lumens/Candlepower = 80 candlepower. This makes no sense at all. I am short 999,920 candlepower cf. manufacturer's claims.

What gives?

wwglen

Enlightened
I tried to make a real 10,000,000 candle power light but by the time I got the first 2000 or so lit the first ones were burrning out.

I will say that a REAL 2,000 candle power light puts out a LOT of waste heat though.

wwglen