Surefire L1

CaptainD

Newly Enlightened
I have always liked led lights since they came out.They work well for what I use them for.I EDC an ARC LSH and ARC AAA. I have never had a Surefire light and was thinking about getting a Surefire L1 led. From what I hear from others it's not much diference in output than the ARC LSH. Those of you that have the L1 how do you like them?.

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
I enjoy my L1 very much, but there are a few things of which you should take note. For one, the L1 will seem considerably larger (longer) than an ARC LSH. For the most part, the L1 will make both of your current EDCs obsolite provided you always have it on you. The low is a bit dimmer than the Arc AAA, but IMHO its a perfectly functional brightess and its actually better for close up work. Low also sports a fantastic runtime. The switch is my favorite thing about the L1- the button makes it very easy and silent to engage either of the brightness levels instantainiously and you can twist it for constant on for either level. If you do a search, you will find MANY more threads discussing both the new (which uses a Lux 3 and TIROS optic for lots of throw and no spill) and older versions (which use a Lux 1 and have more of a flood beam) of the L1.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF CaptainD!

I'd just like to point out that the term "TIROS" is what INNOVA uses for their optics. SureFire use the term "TIR" for it's optics (that are very different to those Innova uses.

The current L1 has a TIR optic and as such is radically different to the ARC LSH. I have an ARC LSH Premium and a SureFire L1. The switch is perhaps the most significantly different attribute after the beam. SureFire's two-stage switch is a delight to use. It's practical and simple - press for low output, press hard for high output (the switch can be disabled and either output be constant-on by rotating the TailCap).

The L1 also has a PocketClip - a vital feature for me if I am to EDC it.

On the matter of the L1's longer length - I actually prefer it since anything shorter disappears inside my hand and becomes difficult to hold and use.

I'm sure you won't be disappointed with the L1.

Al

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Quick? Will a KL-1 head work on the 1X 123 L1 body? (I put the (green) L1 head on a E1e body and am considering replacements. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif )

Larry

Pwdrkeg

Enlightened
I have had my L1 for several weeks now and love it. The
low beam is more than enough to easy navigate about and
didn't disrupt my night vision to any great extent. The
high beam was a very piercing white bright spot with a
little spill, however, the bounce off the ceiling was
enough to light up the entire room. While standing on my
deck over looking my backyard, which is quite dark, I
could easy identify objects with the high beam at about
100 ft. or more. I am accustom to the switch being located
just below the head on the side of the body. However, I am
quickly become comfortable with the tail cap button. I also
find the momentary function of the switch a definite
advantage. The L1 is large enough to fit comfortably
in my hand and small enough to rest lightly in my pocket.
This little light will definitely become my EDC all-around
general purpose light. The L1 is my first Surefire and I
can highly recommend it.

...... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif ...... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

cognitivefun

Enlightened
I am awaiting my L1 from SureFire warranty repair. I sent it about 3 weeks ago but a phone call on Friday revealed that they are waiting for a new head, and it will be a week or so before it is shipped back to me.

I sent it back because I received it from Botac and it had a very blue tint to it. It is an old style L1 which is fine with me. I have an 1X123 Aleph2 that throws very well and I liked the L1 (aside from the tint) for its sidespill.

Looking forward to getting it back.

O_DubhGhaill

Newly Enlightened
I started using the SF F04 Beamshaper (fits perfectly) on my latest generation L1 and cannot believe the difference -- outstanding, evenly distributed spill for use in and around the house.

O'DubhGhaill sends.

Lumen

Newly Enlightened
I have an old style L1 and I love it very much along with my other flashlights. I use low beam to walk up and down the stairs at night, and high beam when i get to the top of the stairs to look downstairs. It's a perfect light for indoor use, inside the car etc... I recommend the L1 for general purpose light because it has great runtime, great flood brightness, and it's very durable. Mine is worn down to the raw aluminum in some places, but shines just as bright as day one!