Lux V DD MiniMag Mod

scudinc

Enlightened
Has anyone done one yet? I know that it's impractical and foolish and countless other things, but I'd really like to see it done. Something along the lines of three CR2s driving a Luxeon V; a miniature Space Needle.

WS6mro

Newly Enlightened
I haven't done it yet, but I have built a mini mag with a BB750 and LuxIII using a IMS 20mm reflector with (2) CR2 cells.

It's very bright and somewhat a "sleeper" of a flashlight. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

StoneDog

Flashlight Enthusiast
You're be better off direct-driving with two 14500 lithium ion rechargeables. Heat will be an issue of course and the best you can do reflector-wise is the IMS 17mm or perhaps a trimmed down IMS 20mm. But, it should be one very bright little mini-mag.

Jon

StoneDog

Flashlight Enthusiast
ahh... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Well, figure around $35 for a LuxV (I wouldn't use a premium bin). Then some sort of home-made DD sammich (solid copper?) plus reflector and 14500s and it's probably a $70 mod. Would be wicked bright but I'd probably go with a NG750 or NG1000 and Lux3 just the same. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Jon

cy

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
StoneDog said:
You're be better off direct-driving with two 14500 lithium ion rechargeables. Heat will be an issue of course and the best you can do reflector-wise is the IMS 17mm or perhaps a trimmed down IMS 20mm. But, it should be one very bright little mini-mag.

Jon

[/ QUOTE ]

if you direct drive a 5watt with 2x li-ion's. you will toast your luxeon.

go ahead and ask me how I know /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

StoneDog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Was it a "T" Vf LuxV? I wonder if a "U" or even "V" Vf would hold up any better.

What about a LuxV, BB500 and 1x14500 in a mini-minimag? I don't suppose there's any point in it, even if the 14500 could supply enough current (would easily be over 1C).

OK, how about a LuxV, BB400 and 2x L91 Lithium AA's in a regular MM?

Can you tell I'm a little bored? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Jon