Peak Lug Ultra Snow rocks the Casbah!!!!

Flashlightboy

Enlightened
Got it today. This is the light to have in a single LED AAA platform.

I have a couple of the AA Arcs and if you own one you'll completely understand what I'm talking about. The checkering is smooth and not sharply diamond just like the AA Arc. It has that texture that makes you want to obsessively/complusively run your fingers over it. Very nice.

Chemkote is nice touch. Potting completely covers the electronics. I wondered why Arc didn't do this. No cushioning ring like Arc.

Nice finish and the lug seems to be bit beefier than on the Arc. Never will wear through although it never did on my Arcs either but I always wanted a little more than the 1mm Arc gave me.

It's a little longer than the Arc but unless you had them side by side you'd never realize it and it doesn't interfere with being a pocket/key ring light.

I would've preferred the knurling around the head but the multi sides on the Peak are just fine. No complaints at all; it's just that I'm used to the Arc.

The LED - this is where Peak has hit a homerun. It's bright with a soft hot spot. Ultra Snow should be the final word in single LED, non Lux, lights.

Final verdict - worth every penny of $34.95.

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep. I was fortunate enough to get in that prototype (?) window that let me get the 3led snow hipower head (it's round with the same texture as the body)on the lug body. Great light. Blows away the AAA standard and my best Infinity Ultra. Really great little light.

To use a sports metaphor, "Peak ain't nuthin' but net".

The_virus

Enlightened
Sweet, thanks for the user mini-review Flashlightboy!

I'm concentrating in collecting single AA and AAA lights right now, and this seems like a perfect choice, alongside the Premierlight PL-1 seen here on their site. I haven't seen it available yet, but I'm waiting for JSBurly's to get it anyway. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ever since I bought a Gerber Infinity Ultra, Inova X1, and Dorcy 1AAA, I've really come to appreciate just how efficient and useful smaller one cell lights can be. I missed the boat with Arc, but there are plenty of other quality products out there. Looks like I'll be getting some Peak lights in good time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
So while being white, like a luxeon, it can maintain good brightness? Only medium-driven 5mm LEDs are soft white to yellowish and at the current you are pumping into it, it is basically useless unless there are a whole series of them. To achieve maximum brightness you always have to overdrive the 5mm and in result have an unavoidable blue tint. So even if this thing is overdriven, the beam is white? Thanks for the opinions. Gives me a whole new impression of Peak. Do you have any pictures to share?

The_virus

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Mags said:
...5mm LEDs are soft white to yellowish and at the current you are pumping into it, it is basically useless unless there are a whole series of them and in result have an unavoidable blue tint. To achieve maximum brightness you always have to overdrive the 5mm...

[/ QUOTE ]

In my opinion, lights of this size are more about efficiency than brightness. I initially didn't get a Gerber Infinity Ultra because of it's unimpressive beam colour and quality in a store display model. The fact is, these lights are designed more to be used in complete darkness, which is where their usefulness really shows itself. If you ever want to walk around the house at night, try using a single 5mm LED light like the Infinity Ultra and you'll be surprised at how much useful light it puts out. Really, for common tasks like avoiding the ottoman, finding the keyhole, or the loose change under the couch a single 5mm LED will serve those tasks brilliantly (excuse the pun). The Gerber Infinity Ultra has quickly become one of my EDC lights, and I currently use it more than any other flashlight I have!

Single cell 5mm LED lights aren't about throw generally (the X1 being an obvious exception) they're more about being efficient on a single cell and providing a useful ammount of light for basic navigation and searching in the dark. Sure there are bigger and brighter lights out there, but you really have to admire designers who stick with the limits of such compact sizes, single cells and more efficient 5mm LEDs that will run longer as opposed to brighter, and yet still produce such excellent end results.

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got one of the Peak Shasta's 1 led's with the snow led. It still has a slightly blue hotspot, but it's definately whiter than my Ultra. I really like it for it's intended purpose. It's about as bright as an ultra with a whiter beam.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm, great mini-review, I'm wondering if this is the One to follow in the Arc's footsteps?

Much as I love the ArcAAA, unfortunately, the supply has dried up. (if not we wouldn't be looking, I'd just order up another few and give them away, problem solved)

At $35 it's pretty close to the AAA's original price too. Hmm..

Grubbster

Enlightened
I have one of the 3 led AAA lights currently. Last week I sent 3 leds to Peak to see just how bright they can get one of the single led AAAs to be. I included two different 26000 bulbs and one of the uncut MJLED bulbs. I would have loved to have sent one of the regular MJLEDs but all the ones I have are installed. They are supposed to try these with their circuits and see which one will give the best output. I am going to get them to mount the best one. I will try to report back when I get it.

Flashlightboy

Enlightened
Mags,

Although I didn't say it was white it is whiter than a typical 5 mm LED. I understand the blue/white color thing but this is the closest to white I've seen with a twinge of blue. It certainly wouldn't be called anything other than white. I have several incarnations of AAA Arc lights, including a couple shipped on the Friday before they folded, and this LED is better tinted and has a nicer pattern.

I think if Arc could've sold this light they'd still be around. I don't think I'd feel this way if the best Peak offered was the regular, power, non-snow LED. In the combo I ordered I don't think it has many equals.

Now if they'd offer a bundled Christmas package we'd be in business. Yes, a Christmas sale in April would be clever but it shows forsight. [Pander mode off.]

Subumbra,

About 10 days from NV to CA. Ordered on a Wed/Thur and it arrived a week later on a Monday.

lasoundboy

Newly Enlightened
Is this the matterhorn collection? I cannot find a mention of lug ultra snow, am I missing something?

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
OT -- I noticed that there is no option for a GREEN LED. I'm thinking of getting one in CYAN. Has anyone seen Peak's CYAN? Excuse me if this sounds stupid but is CYAN more BLUE than TURQUOISE?

meeshu

Enlightened
Top Secret! So secret even I don't know where I am
[ QUOTE ]
pokkuhlag said:
Meeshu your link is showing the normal style, to buy the lug style this is a more appropriate link:
Lug style AAA

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, you are right!

However, the light outputs should be the same, with the only difference being the body style.

A quick check of Peak dealers indicated that they do not appear to have the Ultra-Power version in stock yet. Pity, as international orders have to go through dealers now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

fleshlite

Banned
Do you guys know if the Peak AAA 3 led can be overdriven by AAA lithium (rechargables) without burning up?

tks

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Flashlightboy said:

Chemkote is nice touch. Potting completely covers the electronics. I wondered why Arc didn't do this. No cushioning ring like Arc.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old thread i know but thought I would mention:

The cushion is in the barrel,, were it should be.
Mine is very white, I barely see any blue for a light that is this bright. (I am swapping back and forth between a terralux ministar2 and the peak ultra po 1XLED, the terralux is just a bit brighter with more throw believe it or not) this light is a good one, just keeps amazing me. VDG