More outrageous claims on ebay

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yup...

Here's the old:

http://thelightsite.cruxial.com/reviews/nightstar.htm

And here's the new:

http://thelightsite.cruxial.com/reviews/ait_nightstar2.htm

I'd say they're worth every penny if you're in the dark and your batteries are all dead!
wink.gif

Entropy

Enlightened
What exactly is false about the claims in the first auction? I see no claims of specs or anything to BE false.

Just the "Visible up to a mile away." claim, which is easily true. It's not saying that you'll be able to see the reflection of your beam off of something a mile away, it's saying that if you point it at someone a mile away they'll be able to see it.

Now that second claim of 350 lumens... That's utter BS.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Originally posted by Entropy:
What exactly is false about the claims in the first auction? I see no claims of specs or anything to BE false.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">----------------------
"World's Brightest..."

Ooooooh, I'd better get one of those!
grin.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
350 lumens! that's amazing!!!

why do we buy expensive surefires with those expensive batteries?

i will be posting many sales in the b/s/t because i have finally found a light that provides amazing output and cheap running cost. in a led also...

rolleyes.gif

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
forever led
Any body get a hold in this thing? it seems like a good deal but that only if the performance similar to nightstar 2. Anybody?
confused.gif

flashlightlens

Newly Enlightened
What can I say - the first auctioneer is also selling the all too famous "GLOWING MARIJUANA TORCH LIGHTERS."

The second auctioneer states:
"I sell a military-grade tool not a toy."

You've gotta love that!

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
A guy at work got the NS2 for Christmas. Best I remember it has about the output of an Ultra G, of course I mean the Turbo Hemi HO Ultra-G with 350 Lumens! Really, the light has a solid build, typical LED output about like an Ultra G and for a gimmick light it's pretty cool.

Jonathan

Enlightened
Ahh, but if they hold the meter right up to the light, and then report _candela_, then they are _not_ using that meter correctly. The candela measurement is independent of distance, because it is a measure of light per unit of solid angle. The further you are from the source, the larger an area taken up by the same solid angle.

But most simple light meters measure _lux_, a measure of light per unit area. The further you are from the source, the lower the _lux_ reading will be.

In theory, they could 'correctly' report Lux, even with the sensor smack right up against the lamp.

Most people on CPF report 'Lux at 1 meter', which just happens to correspond numerically to Candela if you presume that the light is a point source.

-Jon

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
i think there should at least be a "reasonability" law. saying that thing has 350 lumens is clearly dishonest and i think the individual should be punished several different ways...

INRETECH

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unfort, its still "Buyer Beware"

One would hope that anyone out there looking for a product would have a little common sense to quest unreasonable claims like that

On a side note

A person once placed an add in the newspaper

"Last chance, send $1 today"

Several people sent money to the PO box, and the FTC was powerless to do anything about it since the ad didn't promise anything

INRETECH

Flashlight Enthusiast
Until someone steps in and regulates this, the companies are bascially able to make any claims they want

I saw a flashlight say 100 candella - and it was just 4x5mm LEDs, I contacted the company and they said thats what they were told

"Let the buyer beware"

Again, I would like to push for the two digit standard (Initial Brightness)(Mins before 50% cut off)

Remember when Stereos had different numbers ?
"Peak power"
"Peak music power"
"Max power"

..etc

Stefan

Enlightened
Originally posted by INRETECH:
Until someone steps in and regulates this, the companies are bascially able to make any claims they want

I saw a flashlight say 100 candella - and it was just 4x5mm LEDs, I contacted the company and they said thats what they were told
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">It all depends on how they measure their output. For instance, if you put the meter so there is barely enough room between the meter and flashlight for a sheet of paper to pass through the numbers will be very high.