Vortex KC1

meeshu

Enlightened
Top Secret! So secret even I don't know where I am
I received 4 Vortex KC1s (CR2 battery model) today. Two were from one dealer, and the other two from another dealer.

Two lights from one dealer never worked right out of the box! The other two lights did work.

On examination of the faulty lights with respect to the working lights, it appeared that the heads of some retaining screws within the bezel were protruding a bit too high (weren't tightened down enough), and preventing the main body from screwing fully into the bezel. So I tried tightening the screws a bit. BUT, the plastic part that the screws were retaining split open beside the screws! That now prevented the main body from screwing fully into the bezel!!

After some fiddling with the plastic part and screws etc, I managed to get one faulty light to work, but only briefly. As I've tampered with the faulty lights I cannot return them. But I was aware of that before attempting the repairs, and I wasn't overly concerned about that, as I have two lights that do work anyway.

I'll attempt further repairs on these faulty lights later. In the meantime, they are considered as 'spares' for the working lights.

I noticed that the quality of these lights were not too good, particularly the weak construction of the plastic part within the bezel. Also, it is suspected that the manufacturer did not check these lights prior to shipment(?) So much for quality control!

Given the issues above, and the fact that these lights are a bit too "fat" (fatter than I expected), it is unlikely I'll be purchasing any more of these, including the soon to be released CR123 version.

Leeoniya

Enlightened
i might consider the cr123 version if it was better anodized...maybe.

i was never a fan of a lux running of a CR2. i didnt expect much from that light, although i did look forward to getting it till i read some reviews. i can only imagine how hot that thing gets and what the battery goes through. seems like torture.

Leon