CMG Infinity Ultra mods?

Scottz

Newly Enlightened
New member here. I have one of the older green CMG Infinity Ultra lights and was wondering if there were any mods for it for a brighter output.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Welcome, Scottz! Boy, have you arrived at the right place!

Here are some links to get you started: /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Koala's LUXI
darkzero's mod
new style LUXI mod
spoogles' version
greenLED's dark path to Infinity
Jets22's 1&3 Watt LUXIs

and last, but certainly not least: Be one with the search function and you will find the unimaginable here. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

There are more threads on the LUXI mod, but the first 3 pretty much cover everything and have tons of pics and build details. My thread is basically the "diary of a modding noob". After months of trying this mod, I was finally successful last weekend. I should find sometime and post about it.

Again, welcome to CPF!

Scottz

Newly Enlightened
How much juice can the Infinity Ultra handle? Last night I took the head off of mine and put a CR123 on it for a few seconds, and it was noticeably brighter. Is this too much?, or could I work something up with this?

greenLED

Flashaholic
AFAIK, the Infinity Ultra (up to the latest Gerber version) uses a Zetex circuit (lots of info on that one if you search). The IC itself should do OK between 0.8-8.0 (as per Zetex's website), but I haven't tried any of my Ultra boards with more than 1x123. If you read the tech spec on the Zetex webpage, it seems like the efficiency doesn't increase that much over 3.0 V.

I'm just pulling all this stuff by doing a quick search, but I'm not an expert. You need to search the Electronics section of the forum. Look for Mr. Al's, pbarrette's, koala's, NewBie's posts. I'm probably leaving a whole bunch of people out, but those are the names I see over and over again.