• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired 1.5W PEAK brass mod (part 3)

Darell

Flashaholic
Part three of the never-ending Nano thread. Continuation of Part 2

We left off with: Darell wants the three-way variable, and you should let go of the continuously variable option.

Carry on.

Darell

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
iStormy said:
I'd prefer a lower low-beam, in the area of 30mA, for the maximum possible battery life when I get Lost, with an appears-exactly-in-the-middle medium-beam.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ooh, gonna have to agree with stormy here! I can read just fine with 30mA, and if we have three levels, let's make a REAL low (if possible) a medium and full-gonzo high. I know we'll all have our wants, and making them all unique would be insane.... but there's my 2c.

How's this for a compromise:
50mA 250mA 440mA

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I originally asked for the 440ma current setup but want to switch to the 3-levels. Is it possible to set the last level to 440ma? I want high to be as high as the original setup.

Jeff

dbrad

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Darell said:
[ QUOTE ]
iStormy said:
I'd prefer a lower low-beam, in the area of 30mA, for the maximum possible battery life when I get Lost, with an appears-exactly-in-the-middle medium-beam.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ooh, gonna have to agree with stormy here! I can read just fine with 30mA, and if we have three levels, let's make a REAL low (if possible) a medium and full-gonzo high. I know we'll all have our wants, and making them all unique would be insane.... but there's my 2c.

How's this for a compromise:
50mA 250mA 440mA

[/ QUOTE ]

Andrew- Is this a possibility? Darell's compromise sounds good to me, too. Arriving at a consensus might be the biggest hurdle, and I also agree accomodating each prefference is not in anyone's best wishes, but maybe a poll is in order if a variation from your original plan is possible or desirable. Of course I would defer to your judgement; you will have the proto to see the actual usefullness of the levels.

UncleFester

Flashaholic*,
I can't stay out.... My suggestion is 25,200,440 (nearly wide open).
The 25mA will still probably eat a Peter AAA for lucnh.
200 will porbably be la lot like a Keylux AA 200. Perfect power for looking at something farther away than your feet.
440 for "Holy crap, how can that little thing be that bright?"

sonicriver

Newly Enlightened
I'm definitely IN for the 3way, & agree with dbrad in deferring to your judgement since you have the insight. 25-50 for the runtime, i would go right down the middle for the 2nd setting, & blind me with the 3rd /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif My wife's gonna divorce me when it comes in the mail! I'd have it sent to a friends house but then I'd NEVER see it again...I'm gonna miss her! LOL

StevieRay

Enlightened
I've always wanted to have a "3 Way." /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

PocketBeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also vote for a super low, long life mode. But test it with your driver and see if it makes sense, because if super low doesn't giver super long life, maybe it is not worth it. But think about charging one or two batteries and having it last a two week vacation without needing a charge.

So I vote for say 30mA, max bright 440mA(?), and then a bright mode that doesn't eat batteries, maybe 200mA, or 250mA. Run time tests might help.

Pila_Power

Enlightened
Yep, I reckon refer to the runtime charts.

I noticed Andrew was really big on the efficiency factor, knowing this I reckon there's room for

a) low setting for longest possible runtime with useful output,

b) middle for middle setting, and of course,

c) high for blind me baby!!

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm in for the three way upgrade. Paypal also ready.

Most of whatever I was gonna' say has already been said, so I'll add this...
My first reaction was slightly disappointed until I thought it through a bit more. I was really into the usefullness and coolness factor of dialing in an exact amount of light, but the 3 way switch sounds like it actually will be more reliable than the full vari, especially if it's a production part. I'm guessing the vari mechanism could wear out after a while if used a lot? Should also be easier to fix if it breaks.

I have no idea what a Lux III looks like at 25 ma. Would that be too little? 50 ma would still sure give an awesome runtime.

The more I think about it, the more I like it. Did I mention I'm in for the three way upgrade? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

skr

Newly Enlightened
I'd definitely like to upgrade my Nano to the 3-way version, too. Just let me know when it's ready, and when PP should be sent to cover the additional cost. I think I also need to send a few more bucks to cover the AC->USB power brick...