Calvin and Hobbes readers/fans anyone?

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
C'mon everyone here heard of Calvin and Hobbes right? Okay hes not as popular as Charlie Brown but I luv Watterson's series more than any other comic! Its helped my vocabulary too. I always keep a college websters dictionary next to me when I read them. I have all the square shaped book versions that are all in black and white, and a few of the special
editions that have colored pages every few pages. Who else actually reads the books?

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought the strip wasn't being produced anymore. .

I used to read it every day, though. And I've browsed all of the books at my local library. .

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a couple books at one point but gave them away. They are funny I think, but I'm more of a Get Fuzzy reader /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Our whole family loved them, and I think we wore out at least 2 sets of all his books over the years. They were funny and often truly touching, and still about the best drawn comic strip ever.

The fact that Bill Watterson stopped drawing them when he ran out of inspiration made Calvin and Hobbs an extraordinary, completed piece of work, excellent from end to end.

I hope Watterson is happy out there somewhere.

sniper

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Mags said:
C'mon everyone here heard of Calvin and Hobbes right?

Who else actually reads the books?

[/ QUOTE ]

Right here, my man. As you already know,it takes a special sort of mentality to appreciate C&H. My absolute favorite is in "The INDISPENSIBLE Calvin and Hobbes", page 115, where his dad is "explaining" photography. I am going to have that page framed, so help me, I am. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Were you Mags Despiser /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif in another incarnation? Howcome the change???

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
nerdgineer said:

The fact that Bill Watterson stopped drawing them when he ran out of inspiration made Calvin and Hobbs an extraordinary, completed piece of work, excellent from end to end.

[/ QUOTE ]

His final strip was a really nice goodbye, where Calvin said something to the effect of going out and exploring the world.

[ QUOTE ]

I hope Watterson is happy out there somewhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know where I can get autographed copies of his books. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, I thought it wasnt going to be worth posting which special editions I have, but since there was more interest than I thought there was going to be, ill post the ones I have anyway.

Homocidical Psycho Jungle Cat
Theres treasure everywhere
The days are just packed
Lazy sunday pages
Sunday pages

also, I wore out a copy of "Scientific progress goes boink" so I have another one, and I also have doubles of "The revenge of the babysat" and I have every square version. So how long did Calvin and Hobbes stay in the newspapers? a decade? the most information I know about the time calvin lived in was the late 1980s(a strip where he advises his dad about "Dad campaign" slogans, like 'Vote dad in '88')

Edit: Photonwrangler, I believe he said "Its a magical world" and then in the next box he says "Lets go exploring!" while riding down the hill with hobbes on the tobbogan.

Edit again: I know those were the final words of Calvin because in the Sunday Pages, Watterson writes down something about the strip, like how he felt drawing it, what he liked about it, and under the one I described he says that it was the final strip of Calvin and Hobbes. I really wish he can come out with at least one more special edition.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Mags said:
Edit: Photonwrangler, I believe he said "Its a magical world" and then in the next box he says "Lets go exploring!" while riding down the hill with hobbes on the tobbogan.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was it. Thanks, Mags!

"Scientific progress goes boink" is a phrase that a couple of us use around the office whenwver technology, well, goes boink. It's sooo descriptive of the moment. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Zackerty

Enlightened
Would it not be great if Watterson un-retired?
There have thesis written on Calvin and Hobbes been social commentators....

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Yes, it sure would, and I suspect that he knows that he'd have many appreciative fans if he un-retired like Berke Breathed did. But he's the captain of his own ship, so I guess he has his reasons. We can hope though.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Something under the bed is drooling" is but one reason I like flashlights.

And I want a transmogrifier for Christmas.

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Something under the bed is drooling" is but one reason I like flashlights.

And I want a transmogrifier for Christmas.

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
i used to have all those books! i passed them on to younger members of the family (i did keep Attack of the Deranged Mutant Killer Monster Snow Goons tho!).

i was also thinking about them recently after seeing one of their old comics in my May 2005 Discover Magazine. they were pondering the naming of the Big Bang, LOL.

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
Spaceman Spiff pulls out his trusty photonic particle deployment cannon and blasts the poor creature back into the murky dark...

Lightraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Calvin and Hobbes fans,

According to Amazon.com, a Calvin and Hobbes hardcover 4 color collection of ALL C&H cartoons will be released this September for $94.50. Search Calvin and Hobbes on the Amazon.com website for more details.

Lookin' forward to it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/takeit.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

MikeF

Enlightened
I have all of the titles listed so far. I will look when I get home from work to see if I have any that are not listed here. My 10 year old son reads them to me to put me to bed since I work 3:00am to noon. They are wonderful!!!!!!

DBrier

Enlightened
I have a few books and eagerly await the complete set in Sept. I already have the comlete Far Set books too.

Nice avatar KahveOrta.