L1 - Square Beam or Round Beam

Pwdrkeg

Enlightened
I received my new SureFire L1 a few weeks ago.
The beam is on the square side with some spill.

What shape is your L1 beam ? ....... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic
The LED is square. SureFire is working towards a more round beam. If you want to see square you should see the X200A's beam.

rgp4544

Newly Enlightened
Size15's...

I've got a dumb question but not sure where to post it.

Do the Surefire Beamshapers that are supposed to convert the beam to a flood work on a red L1 or do the beamshapers have to be on a white light to function properly?

IE, will a beamshaper on a red L1 of current production turn the beam into a red flood or ?

Thank you,

Richard.

Size15's

Flashaholic
The BeamShaper is like a frosted polycarbonate lens (the material is far more expensive in order to facilitate the most light throughput).
It is diffuser in that the output is just light and not at all a cohesive beam.

The BeamShaper can be used on coloured LEDs - I've not personally tried this but I suspect you'll get a weaker "diffuse" flood light output.

Al

Mark2

Enlightened
Some of the older Nuwai models used similar optics which produced very similar square beams, maybe even a bit more squarish than the new KL1's beam, but not as extreme as the X220A's beam.

Flashdark

Enlightened
rgp4544,

I use an F04 on my early-generation (1?) L1-RD with great success. It thins out the center hotspot and diffuses the beam a little broader for night navigation work. I'm very pleased with the result. BUT!!! I do NOT know how effectively it will work with the new generation pencilbeam lights. I understand that the new L1s, E1Ls, E2Ls, and KL1s all have the new Luxeon III pencilbeam/distance LEDs. When I tried an F04 on a borrowed "new-generation" KL1, it seemed to be ok but less diffuse than the older version. For that reason, I have yet to get one of these new lights since I prefer floodlight for all close-in work. Hope this helps.