Moding a maglight

BullPar

Newly Enlightened
Hello./ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif Ive been looking for hours and I cannot find info on modding a c cell or d cell maglight. Id like to use a 5w luxeon. a 3w will also due. I modded my 4 d cell and it works great. Anybody have a link or info. Thank you

greenLED

Flashaholic
OK, that's enough, I'm adding this thread to my favorites! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Great links!

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks again, Icarus!
I built my nFlex WX1S 8AA "2D Mag" this past week, a bit different from yours when it comes to heat sinking though (I gotta be me!)
What I did was epoxy a piece of copper plate bent to an "L" shape to the bottom of the hotlips D heat sink. I then added some thin aluminum plate with Artic Silver thermal epoxy to the inductor, a piece of aluminum bar to the chip and then epoxied it to the copper bar. The capacitor was even with the aluminum plate so it epoxied on perfectly. On the other side, I epoxied an aluminum plate across the two chips to cool them.

Direct soldered the power ground wire to the switch from the board and used a 3 lead computer fan plug and gold plated pins for the power in and switch contacts. Cut the switch down to the minimum height and it all fit in there nicely (barely but it fit)

The point of the board mounted on the hotlips is in case I trash the Mag. I can cut the Mag tube and peel it off the heat sink, disconnect the 3 pin connector and cut the ground wire to easily remove it. This way I can replace the mag in less than 30 minutes if I damage it.

So a big thumbs up to you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif my nFlex WX1S (running at 700mA) works very well, is blinding and looks like a typical 2D Mag. Variable output is a god send when it comes to larger flashlights.

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi BentHead, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/goodjob.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

If you run your nFlex WX1S at no more than 700mA I think it's not necessary to put a heat sink on the driver. Since you already did you should consider configuring the nFlex for running at 1A. Like you said the FlexMag2D LuxV running at 8AA is a great light. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/str.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Icarus /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif