5W Lux V head lamp project.

Turbo_E

Enlightened
OK here's what I have in mind. I love camping and well its pretty dark out there. I have a LED head lamp but it only a 1W lux star that runs on 3 AAA's.

Now, what i'm planning to do tonight (seeing as my new Fatman converter arrived) is swap my 5W Star into the headlamp and use the fatman to give me more juice.

the problem I see is how long (or short actually) will 3 X 750 mAh AAA's last feeding a 5W Lux?

should I run auxillery battery packs and strap those to the headband (2 - 4X AA packs, 8 AA's total)and risk looking like a tool or can 3 AAA's cut it. say an hour of crazy *** light?

MrMom

Enlightened
You need to heat sink the star VERY WELL. A Lux 5 is very hot running. I don't see it running past 30 Min.

Turbo_E

Enlightened
ahhh..I neglected to consider that, thanks.

I will probably fab a custom HS that fits where the batteries should have gone and run external power.

the headlamp already has a chunk of alum inside so maybe i will run it as is...

descisions descisions...

Maybe a small PC northbridge HS will be ok. I have tons of little HS's lying around.

Turbo_E

Enlightened
OK baaaad idea. this sucker gets INCREDIBLY HOT. the HS i'm using is a 1/4" thick 1" square piece of copper. after 5 minutes I worry this thing will burst into flame!

Hahaha! oh well onto the next project. Unless anyone wants to buy this badboy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

pics:
DSCF0067.JPG

DSCF0068.JPG

DSCF0070.JPG

DSCF0071.JPG

Turbo_E

Enlightened
replied.

most likely a 1-3 watt would be best for this tiny plastic enclosure