Chinese Flashlight Mod LuxIII DB1000

H22A

Flashlight Enthusiast
[image]
police18my.jpg
[/image]

I decided to mod this inexpensive Chinese made incandescent flashlight (Police brand) driven by 2/123A batteries (second from the right). The quality is acceptable, well built and robust constructions and it is a perfect host for this mod. It is time for more efficient light source by eliminating low quality and short live incandescent bulb.

[image]
police2123a11nm.jpg
[/image]
[image]
police2123a38zz.jpg
[/image]

I installed lux III (TW0J) driven by DB1000 on a custom made stainless steel mounting disc and Dat2zip PM emitter board for ease of soldering and centering the emitter. Reflector is SO20XA.

[image]
police2123abeamshot8ku.jpg
[/image]

The finished product gives much better light with very bright hot spot. When measured with Metermann LM631 at 1 meter, it produced 1440 lux from rechargeable 123A batteries. I am wondering how bright it would be with "H" Vf. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Run time is approximately 40 min. from moderately used R123A (650mA) started out with 7.76V at 1440 lux and run flawlessly for 40 min and should be longer when fully charged. Temperature is warm to touch not hot and able to hold in your hands.

The total cost of this mod is $60.00 including flashlight. Now that's what I call bang for the buck!

Next mod Lux V BB1000 from the host 3rd from the right (see 1st pic) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

DaMeatMan

Newly Enlightened
Hey H22A, i did the exact same mod with the exact same black tactical police light you have in that pic. I obtained the light on ebay for about $7 and used a downboy 750 to drive it. The LED is mounted on a filed down copper penny with the driver directly underneath that screw in bulb holder. I was surprised at how the driver board seemed to be made for this light as it fit's snugly inside perfectly. Nice to know someone else had the same idea. I've been meaning to post picutres of my mod but picture quality is horrible with my web cam.

H22A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi DaMeatMan - I was experimenting with these flashlights because of ease of modding and inexpensive. As you rightly put it, converter board fit snuggly at the back of these lights. However, there are several models which you have to enlarge opening slightly to fit DB or BB boards. Many newer models come with larger mounting opening which is much easier to mount and no grinding needed.

These (Police Brand) flashlights have so many models to choose from and it is inexpensive. If you have one at hand, you should try modding these lights . You will enjoy it. Thanks.

DaMeatMan

Newly Enlightened
One thing i forgot to mention about that grenade style tactical flashlight i have modded which u show here in your pics. I noticed that the O-rings for the head doesn't do very much for waterproofing this light as the grooves cut into this light actually go a bit below the groove used to retain the O-ring itself. The result is tiny gaps under the o-rings even when the head is on and pressure is applied to the O-ring. I was personally thinking of filling in the grooves at those points with small dabs of silicone. For me a waterproof light is a must, especially when your talking about a light with a somewhat expensive converter board and LED in it. Otherwise it's like having a great looking high tech watch, only to find it dead after washing you hands. You can imagine the disapointment /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif, anyhow i thought i would just point this out to anyone who is planning on modding one of these lights. By the way i also forgot to mention that i used a 17 mm IMS reflector along with a TWOJ lux III. The result is a really nice smooth hot spot, this acutally my personal favourite amongst my collection of small tactical lights. I got a chance to test this light out in the open when i went ice fishing about a month ago. I actually wasn't even planning on using it, but i'm glad i had it on me. It's amazing how quick the sun set's and leaves you alone on a dark lake. You would also be surprised at how much light this torch will put out when your making your trek back to land in the dark and there is nothing but you, the lake your walking on, and your trusty modded torch to guide you home. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Pics of my mod can be viewed here: http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=2128383526