3D maglite c/o to LED if possible

F

firey

i have a 3d cell maglite is there any way of fiting a leds to this unit and perhaps getting a similar or better light out of it with longer battery life or is that too much too ask
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

B@rt

Flashaholic
Hi firey, Inretech makes some nice drop-in modules...
cool.gif

Mike from Inretech is active on the boards, and will gladly fill you in about the possibilities.
winkie.GIF

Oh, welcome to CPF!
grin.gif

dirobesh

Enlightened
firey, I'm waiting on delivery of a trilight adaptor from Inretech for my maglite - should be here any day soon hopefully. I'll let you know what I think of it, although from previous posts, I think that's a forgone conclusion.
grin.gif

Entropy

Enlightened
Also do a search for "cyclops" - It's one of Lambda's creations, there are instructions for converting a 2D mag into a 3C mag for driving a Luxeon, with a 3D you just have to handle the LED part of the mod.
smile.gif

INRETECH

Flashlight Enthusiast
The TriLight is a good high-power adapter for the 3D flashlight with 3x1W Luxeons, but if you are looking for something a little cheaper, we are now coming out with a 20x5mm adapter that will be sold in many different colors

It is not as bright as the TriLight, but since it draws less current (400ma vs 1A); it will last longer

Entropy

Enlightened
Mike - Any reason you haven't released any single-LS dropins for Maglites? (I have a feeling that a single 5W dropin for the 6Ds would be MUCH more popular than the 3x5W and 6x5W units you have now, mainly due to affordability, same for 1x1W units for 3-cell Mags.)

INRETECH

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Trilight is 3x1w and is in a nice 3D flashlight

If we were to make a drop-in for the 6D, it would be 1x5w and would only be a little more light then the TriLight and be twice as big and twice the weight; I don't think most people would be willing to have something larger and heavier, just for 2w more of light

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
I posted this same thing recently. I have ordered the 16 LED unit that I found on www.ebay.com I did try www.ebay.au, but it did not find it under "16 white LED". If you go to the US site, it should find it, but they don't ship to Australia. Anyway, when it arrives I will post my findings.

Entropy

Enlightened
Originally posted by INRETECH:
The Trilight is 3x1w and is in a nice 3D flashlight

If we were to make a drop-in for the 6D, it would be 1x5w and would only be a little more light then the TriLight and be twice as big and twice the weight; I don't think most people would be willing to have something larger and heavier, just for 2w more of light
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Good point for not making a 1x5W unit, but what about 1x1W?

1W Luxeons in 3C/3D configurations are quite popular in the modified arena. (Cyclops, Blaster, etc.)

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Originally posted by JAS:
I posted this same thing recently. I have ordered the 16 LED unit that I found on www.ebay.com I did try www.ebay.au, but it did not find it under "16 white LED". If you go to the US site, it should find it, but they don't ship to Australia. Anyway, when it arrives I will post my findings.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I got mine a couple of days ago from Ebay. It went right in my 3-D Maglight, but I haven't run any tests on it or put it on the web yet.
I have also *not* compared it to any of my 1W LS flashlights yet, but it does put out a nice bluish white beam.
grin.gif

A quicky measurememt shows 93 foot-candles on a Meterman LM631 light meter.

EMPOWERTORCH

Enlightened
Does a 1W cyan Luxeon LED go straight on to a 3 cell torch without resistoring or boosting?
Of course, the biggest question is can you buy luxeons easily in Austraila?
For maximum bsttery longevity with a good light output use Nichia cyan LEd's. Four put out a very useable amount of light and should give you a very good battery life. I find the smooth output of the LED's far more pleasant to use than the sickly yelloish and ringed beam from a filament bulb.
If you really want 100s or even 1000s of hours of battery life a 2 LED PR bulb conversion will give reasonable useable light for about 800 to 1000 hours on a set of good D cells. I have an aluminium 3D torch which is very much like a maglite with a different style head, fitted with a 2LED PR conversion and some cheap "pound shop" batteries. That torch was used as my primary light source for camping trips and general purpose use for most of last year, without a change in batteries.

INRETECH

Flashlight Enthusiast
Our first product was a 1w adapter; we spent a lot of money having a mold made for it and it just wasn't bright enough nor as reliable as our TriLight

dirobesh

Enlightened
Mike - could you confirm that my white TRILIGHT adaptor has shipped yet?
(Looking forward to dazzling my dog....)

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay, as I just posted onto my earlier post, my 16 LED came today. Very easy install and, like LED Museum pointed out, it is a nice bluish or almost purplish color.

INRETECH

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dirobesh - Order#233; shipped out 2/4/02

You should get it in a couple of days, but I must warn you - our shipping dept got a new person a couple of days ago, and they didn't know that you have to fill out a customs form when shipping international - so 3-5 orders "bounced" back because of the missing form; I don't know if yours was one of them - sorry

I hope you find your TriLight more usefull than just dazzling your dog, use a laser pointer

My brother once used his to make his kitten scratch the door of a house down the street, the lady came out looked at the kitten - and that was that !

dirobesh

Enlightened
Thanks for the info Mike. My dog likes to chase torch beams when I shine them on the floor/ceiling, I reckon that's a pretty good excuse to keep on buying them...!
smile.gif
smile.gif

RY3

Enlightened
How about 4C maglite? Any of these LED from Inretech works for a 4C maglite?

Thanks

Ron

INRETECH

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have heard reports of people putting the TriLight into a C flashlight, the Trilight works on either 3D or 4D, so it should work on 4C

Just not had time to try all the different combinations

dirobesh

Enlightened
When mine gets here, I can't decide on running it in my 3D mag with 3 D size batteries or 4 C size ones (after checking the amp draw).

I assume that I will get a brighter output from the 4 C batteries, but at a much reduced run-time. I think I'll probably end up trying both to see which is more suitable for my needs.

I've also got an old 4D mag which is the correct design (once again Mike, thanks for explaining that to me), but it weighs too much, in my opinion, to be useful for everyday tasks.