Crazy idea

AtomSphere

Enlightened
I got this crazy idea of using my current c3, purchase and fix on a KT2-BK + A19 + A19 + A19 + M20 + 4 X Pila 150S

Do you guys think it'll work?

I guess the beam will be similar to that of the M6. My KT2-BK is on the way. Need your expert advise on any unexpected problems i might face with the rest of the parts before i start to order them in

Size15's

Flashaholic
I am concerned about whether that number of LiIon batteries together is safe.

It is also worth pointing out that for every joint the resistance increases. To many joint will either cause a reduction in peak output or a reduction in runtime (or likely both). Increasing the resistance could (in my mind at least) make it 'easier' for the batteries to reverse charge the weakest one.

I personally think the idea is crazy and would not attempt it myself. I urge you to take safety precautions such as fire-proof gauntlets, tabbard and ballistic full-face visor on top of an F1 racing suit or similar. Perform the experiment outside (but in the dry) with plenty of sand to cover the batteries and/or light. It would also be wise to alert the local fire station and have a banksman observing from a safe distance (50-100 metres perhaps).

Thinking about it, it may be a better idea to rig up some remote control - SureFire have a tape pressure switch - you could get them to make one on a 15 metre cable perhaps?

The whole thing scares the hell out of me...

Al

AtomSphere

Enlightened
hmmm.... i am itching to try it out... yet afraid of the dangers you juz pointed out... I think it will all fit nicely though... will find out more informatiob bout 4 LiIon joined together... hope jsburly can provide me with some insights

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
What the heck is wrong with the stock C3? isn't 200 lumens bright enough for you? I guess not. But it seems to me that with the money you spent on all those parts, you could've got a M6....

AtomSphere

Enlightened
I know... c3($134) + pila batteries ($62) + MN20 ($29) +KT2-BK ($101) + 3 pieces of A19 ($60) = $386

Right now i am thinking, If i can upgrade this C3, Why not?

BTW 200lumens @ 20min for the C3 seems too short... I like More lumens with more runtime! (think everyone prefers this too! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hope you are on good terms with the SCDF (when they respond to the fire /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif) and do not get all our lights /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banned2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

Also, there have been conduction issues with using so many A19s in the past, the amount of connections reduces the brightness of the bulb. It may not be worth spending that money.

And really - for $385 you can buy the COMPLETE USL kit including chargers, power supplies and everything... oh please /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif We love lumens too but I'm sure you would want to get the most lumens for the money you are spending too, right.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

If you want more runtime buy the Polaris instead, and use the 35W bulb for longer runtime, or the 50W for 2000+ bulb lumens. The Mag85 already makes the C3 look like a candle (I have a C2+A19+P91, CR123 powered), the USL makes the Mag85 look like a candle, so you can imagine...

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
AtomSphere said:
<---noob

sorry for asking. but whats the USL?

[/ QUOTE ]

There are a series of rather detailed posts on this light in the homemade and modified section. Very bright, very impressively controlled light. There are also some posts there on an M6 R which might be interesting for you.

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Size15's said:
I personally think the idea is crazy and would not attempt it myself. I urge you to take safety precautions such as fire-proof gauntlets, tabbard and ballistic full-face visor on top of an F1 racing suit or similar. Perform the experiment outside (but in the dry) with plenty of sand to cover the batteries and/or light. It would also be wise to alert the local fire station and have a banksman observing from a safe distance (50-100 metres perhaps).

Thinking about it, it may be a better idea to rig up some remote control - SureFire have a tape pressure switch - you could get them to make one on a 15 metre cable perhaps?
Al

[/ QUOTE ]

Al,
I take the above safety precautions when using any of my lights! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic
I should hope so too!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

The reality is that for similar or less money you can achieve great light output from a rechargeable light without the safety risk...

Al /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
AtomSphere said:
<---noob

sorry for asking. but whats the USL?

[/ QUOTE ]

In a nutshell... the Ultimate StealthLight (from where its initials come from) realistically should be called the Ultimate SuperLight.

Custom Mag 2D-sized housing with special battery pack and 20 amp switch, 100W Osram projector bulb up front, aluminium reflector, Borofloat glass, charging system. Capable of setting paper and marshmallows on fire, cooking eggs, and so on. You want light? Three THOUSAND lumens. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif it makes the Surefire M6 look like a MiniMag having a bad day.

See it for yourself...

It may be hard to get, though. I think no more than 75 will ever be in circulation.

AtomSphere

Enlightened
I read the post on the USL and it is juz amazing! cooking a mashmallow and lighting it up on fire!
just got my KT2-HA today and found out that the shop has alot of A19! I really itching to try my setup. I might encounter some problems with the pila 150s as it might juz be too long! for now i would try 123 cells. give me a couple of days and i might do it!

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why not try your C3, 3 A19s, and 3 Pila 168s? I wouldn't do four Pilas in a row because of the risk as Al mentioned. If you wanted to get a MN60 LA, you could run it on 3 Pilas with almost the same output as the MN20. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

AtomSphere

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
leukos said:
Why not try your C3, 3 A19s, and 3 Pila 168s? I wouldn't do four Pilas in a row because of the risk as Al mentioned. If you wanted to get a MN60 LA, you could run it on 3 Pilas with almost the same output as the MN20. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
isin't that 12.6v? the mn20 needs 18v from 123 cells! how isit possible to power it up?

AtomSphere

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
leukos said:

[/ QUOTE ]
correction to the above post... the mn60 is a 12v lamp. 3 pilas is going to blow it at 12.6v!!

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Firstly, he said use the MN60 instead of the MN20. The MN60 will provide the same amount of light.

Secondly, the MN20 is not an 18V lamp - it's a 9V lamp. You are in for a $25 surprise if you wish to find out...

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry, I didn't word my post too well. Atomsphere, consider a 3x Pila set up with M4 bulbs if you want to be in that lumen range (MN60, MN61). 3x Li-ions in a row is pushing it, 4x may be asking for an expensive lesson.
Also, in figuring voltage with multiple cells it isn't as simple as multiplying 3.7 volts times the number of cells, you have to figure in internal resistance. Li-ions have different properties than primary cells, different form NiMH, and Nicad. But in short 2x 3.7 volt Li-ions are equivalent to 3x CR123a. 3x 3.7 volt Li-ions are almost equivalent to 4x CR123a.
Side note: the SF M6 bulbs run off the equivalence of two stacks of 3x CR123a cells in parallel. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif