Need computer help

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
This is bizarre! I'm in here and managed to open a tab to a link from here, but every bookmark I have comes up "www.xxx.com could not be found. Please check the name and try again." My own sites on my ISP's servers won't work, but I can get my ISP's home page and OE is working. Am running:

W2KPro, FireFox, ZoneAlarm, AGV and Adaware pro. I ran a virus and 2 spyware scans with no "issues." I strongly suspect it's at my end, as this box has been acting wierd lately. Any ideas as to what settings may have gotten pooched?

Larry

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does this problem only happen when you're using a tab? If so, I'd suspect there's a glitch in Firefox settings. .

Empath

Flashaholic
It's not your computer, Larry. You're with Comcast. I am too. They've got a problem today. They claim they're trying to get it resolved. It's very intermitant, and a real nuisance. It's like their DNS server blinks off every few seconds, and when it is working, it seems to be missing about half the entries.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif Empath!!! It has been intermittant at my end and I was 2 hours and several reboots even getting in here at CPF. Major wierd!
You need an "upgrade" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Larry

(I am awed by the friends who have PM'd and otherwise offered help!)

AbnerCadaver

Banned
I'm also on Comcast and am having the very same issue. Weird, though, my Vonage service (VOIP) has been working without a hitch. Then I realized the Vonage "box" doesn't rely on DNS! So I went into my network settings and manually entered in DNS servers from another ISP and voila. I be back in business. I will, however, change this back once Comcast gets their act together.

Just a tip.

Abbie

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Thanks, Guys!

It does explain the wierdness! (I am calming down now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif )

Larry

TRC

Newly Enlightened
Glad to hear it's not your computer!

I am running a virtually identical set up: same OS and software, though I often use Opera in addition to Firefox.

I've had excellent luck with my computer so far. My brother built it for me, and I got a way, way nicer computer than if I went out and bought a Dell or something. It's built in a server box, and there are nine drives in it's 10 drive bays(!) (Four hard drives....) He put 4 fans in it just to cool the drives and motherboard.

Not to mention I think WinXP is the Frisher Price 'My first computer' looking OS and EVERYTHING is WAY harder to do than with Win2K Pro! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Comcast should at least display a message on your screen.
"Please don't adjust your set". I suppose you have to be old to know what that's about.

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
TRC said:
Not to mention I think WinXP is the Frisher Price 'My first computer' looking OS

[/ QUOTE ]
You can't please everyone. I'll agree about XP's Fisher Price look, but I enjoy it, and much of it can be changed.

[ QUOTE ]
TRC said:
EVERYTHING is WAY harder to do than with Win2K Pro! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
My opinion on this is quite different from yours. But it is a problem to learn and remember the differences in the two user interfaces.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm, there is a comcast truck sitting across the street from me right now... They are just pulling new wire all through the neighborhood here and I'm seriously considering switching from my DSL line to a cable modem when they are all done.

I had a cable modem at the previous house that worked very well and very fast with very few issues. This DSL line works OK most of the time, but I had to move the modem into the attic a few feet from where the phone line comes in or it doesn't work at all. And the upstream speed is pathetic...

[ QUOTE ]
My opinion on this is quite different from yours. But it is a problem to learn and remember the differences in the two user interfaces.

[/ QUOTE ]

What I don't understand is how they can take something that hasn't changed one bit since I connected my first computer to a network, TCP and yet every version of windows moves the 3 or 4 things you have to enter to make networking work into 5 or 6 different control panels that are different with each darned version!!!

It's impossible to help anybody over the phone anymore cause I don't remember specifically the different windows versions setups anymore. So I just don't help windows users anymore /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
XP's not all *that* hard to use, I don't think. When Windows 98 hit EOL, I helped them migrate to Windows XP and they've gotten along just fine. Obviously, changing something as essential as the OS will result in some new learning, but I'd say for most people, Windows XP is a pretty good upgrade.

AC - Accessing CPF daily from Linux /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got to alpha test Comcast's cable modem service back in '97 in the Nashville area. I didn't care for losing my internet service when the cable went out. Does that still happen?

For those that don't know, all else being equal, the biggest performance hit with cable modems comes from sharing bandwith with your neighbors. The more your neighbors are on, the slower it gets. For DSL, the hit comes from how far away your modem is physically from the switch, the first connection between your system and the internet. If I remember correctly, most providers won't sell DSL if you are more than 3.2 miles from the switch. I doubt that's the cause of your problems, James. Any chance that the telco wiring in your house is on the older side, or noisy for some other reason, such as moisture getting in somewhere? That would explain the need to move the modem closer to the telco interface.

Anyway, cable modem has the potential to give much higher performance than claimed by the provider, but only when your neighbor's aren't on line. DSL can't give the boost when the neighbor's aren't on line, but whatever bandwidth you have on day 1 will always be there, regardless of what the neighbors are doing. It's very similar to fixed vs variable interest rates. I prefer the consistency. YMMV.

When I was finally able to get broadband here in Knoxville, I lucked out with a hot DSL connection. The "switch", whatever it's called, is located within 300 yds of my house. Although I paid for a 1.5Mb/768Kb line, the technician who came to the house showed me that it was much higher, either 2 or 2.5, I can't remember. I won't willingly give up my DSL! Except for a handful of very brief outages, there's only been one outage of 24 hours in 3 years. I don't think I've lost my cable tv for that long, but it goes out regularly for 1-3 hours. PITA!

IMNSHO, XP was the first M$ OS upgrade since Win3.11 worth bothering with. As long as no major catastrophy happens, it behaves pretty well. PITA, though, when sick.

There is a great install CD option for XP that's relatively unknown. As I mentioned to Larry last night, it's called something like a repair or recovery install. I don't think it's part of the Recovery Console, however. Seems like you have to press a particular function key while the CD is loading to access it. The best way I know to describe it is that it's like doing a clean XP install but without losing any of the installed applications and their settings. I've used it twice. Both times, it saved me from having to do a clean install and all of my data and a pplications were un-effect - amazing! The recovery console that I mentioned is an extremely potent tool and can do more damage than good when used incorrectly. But, it too, can work wonders for a trashed OS in the right hands.

James, you'r right about the inconsistencies of Microsoft. They may be the big dogs, but their software development is severely lacking in many areas. And not just between versions, though that one leaves me scratching my head more than the others. Ever wonder why you can switch between spreadsheets in Excel with <Ctrl>-<Tab> yet you can't navigate that way between Word documents? Sure, we can now do that with <Alt>-<Tab> but that brings in all of the other apps you're running. Less elegant and a step backwards from Excel's <Ctrl>-<Tab>.

I have this never-to-be-fulfilled daydream of there being, one day, a versions of Windows as tight as MS-DOS 3.1. Sigh....

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
Funny that you mention that Codeman. I was one of the first to get a cable modem from "@Home" back in 98 via TCI. It was really great the first year. I had better downloads at home than I had at the phone company where we had a T3. Of course, my cable modem was not sharing a link with 40,000 other users and a major web site. I actually got downloads AND uploads at better than 8mbps.

The understanding of bottlenecks in cable and DSL has been really muddied by the outright lies in their commercials. The DSL line has several bottlenecks, one being the phone-line. DSL starts sharing bandwidth at the switch that the DSL sends it's data through. You will see drastic slowdowns if they under-provision the connnection between that switch and the rest of their network.

The cable modem share a network within a neighborhood, then again at their head-end, at which point it's exactly the same set of problems as the DSL.

I currently have both cable modem and DSL. The cable company refused to sell their service if you use it for a business, so I had DSL put in. My wife uses the cable and I use the DSL. Both are about equal when it comes to reliability.

The cable modem looses sync when the power goes out. My DSL is through a remote DSLAM, so power hits effect it too. In the old days it would have been on a UPS. The cable distribution point down the block used to have batteries to keep it running during a power hit, but they had problems keeping the batteries dry and maintained.

I can't testify for or against the comcast mail and DNS servers. I've had my own for years.

Daniel

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
James S said:
What I don't understand is how they can take something that hasn't changed one bit since I connected my first computer to a network, TCP and yet every version of windows moves the 3 or 4 things you have to enter to make networking work into 5 or 6 different control panels that are different with each darned version!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

XP has a nice addition here. An alternate IP configuration.

I use fixed IP addresses on my LAN, but need to use DHCP when I take it to my sister's house and hook up to her cable modem. When I do that with Win2k, I lose the fixed addresses and have to re-enter them when I get back home.

On XP, both configs are there and XP automatically figures out which one to use.

Actually the first thing I miss when switching to Win2k, is the list of last used programs in the start menu, which XP puts there automatically. Unless of course, you are so hide-bound that you change XP back to the "classic start menu". And most people are /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The study of human nature takes more than a lifetime to complete apparently. We're all creatures of habit. I will stretch out the taskbar to it's maximum width to make it easy to see many apps, quick launch and system tray, and then auto-hide it so it takes up no space on the screen. But someone else will come along and shrink it to one line and un-auto-hide it. And change the start menu to classic, of course. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif