pohto satlite and flashlight question

raggie33

*the raggedier*
ok i found my house. on a space satlite thing it seems to be live when ya enter the cordiantes. ok if i go out side at night and turn on all my lights and point em up to sky will satlite pick it up?

raggie33

*the raggedier*
btw im at latitude=33.02545&lonitude=85.03637.if ya ever fly over wave at me lol

bobisculous

Flashlight Enthusiast
Raggie, no. Those images you see are not real time. They are shots from months, if not years ago. I can look at my area and see open grass where buildings have been for well over a year. Some sites have more recent, but none are live.

Cameron

raggie33

*the raggedier*
o bummer that would of been fun.still pretty cool though

bobisculous

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am checking out Googles sat service. Theirs are over a year back in my area. Great Service they have though. Boy would I like one of the cameras they have on these satellites though!

Cameron

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Yeah, the google aerial/satelite photos are some 2-4 years out of date in the DFW area.

More than a few of the tiles refuse to load at maximum magnification - somewhat annoying.

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you go to Washington DC, the white house+congress buildings are blocked out by tons of fuzziness. Some countries look non-existant as well. Austrqalia doesn't have any details on it. Just green and yellow blotches.

Eric_M

Enlightened
maps.google.com is a really cool one. They are at least 3 years old though in some areas.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
We looked at the maps for our house. We were able to see well enough to determine several things.

By looking at the landscaping changes (trees, shrubs, etc) we were able to determine what year. (2002)

By looking at the growth of our vegetables (which we planted late that year), we could determine the season. (summer)

By looking at the cars, we were able to determine that it was before I bought my car (June 12)

By looking at the angle of the shadows, we could determine that it was taken around 10 am.

So, best guess was that the satellite photo of our house was taken sometime in the first two weeks of June, 2002.

Daniel

Size15's

Flashaholic
When I was at University we (well the University) paid for ICONOS to pass over our sports fields so we could determine it's resolution.
We had lots of different sized squares of different materials/colours and patterns laid out across the fields.

We also had a aeroplane fly over a few days later (actually, this was more expensive than the satellite because the satellite was basically heading our way whereas the 'plane made a special trip.

They could tell us exactly when it was due to fly over so we spent a morning out on the field hoping to be in the images!

1.2 metre pixels in "colour" and down to 0.8 metre pixels in other bands depending on what it was looking at.

The point is that gaining images from satellite is rather difficult (even today and I'm out of the technology loop for certain) - aerial photos (even high altitude) are significantly easier, faster and better quality.

What was amazing was when our Lecturer (Professor I guess you call 'em) showed us some other images he had "obtained" from contacts the University had made after we field-tested some GPS kit for the British Army. In those images the pixels were about 0.5 metre in full colour (we had wondered why we had to make squares down to 0.3 metres).

This was back in 2000 ish

It is highly unlikely that you will be able to see realtime aerial images of your location unless you had a crane with a camera overhead!

Daniel's comments about shadows is important because images are usually marked with important information (not least the date and time they were taken, but also the angle from which they were taken). Armed with information you can work out the height of things based on the shadow. This is easier on a PC and using stereo pairs.

Al

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since the shuttle will be going up again soon, I remember during 'down' time the shuttle would be inverted and have a camera running while the earth 'spun' underneith. If they do this again and broadcast nasa.com or nasa TV. I wounder if a REALLY bright light would show up on that, and for arguments sake, would a LD, not saying anyone should, IT WOULD BE WRONG, but could it be picked up by the shuttle camera?

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd think so depending on how far the camera is zoomed in. I bet you that ring of Thors that someone had posted on here (10 of 'em) would show up /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

edit: And the Ken5, and the Ken4, and the Sleeper, and........you get it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
It does. NASA has reported that they can read newspaper print from 10 miles up using light from the Luxor's 41,000,000,000 CP spotlight. You can also see a big beam of light when you fly into Vegas at night.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I believe the Luxor is a cluster of 39 Xenon "space cannon" style light fixtures. It's interesting to see it when it first fires up at dusk. You can see individual color changes in the lamps as they come up to operating temperature.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Interesting article - thanks, Maxabaker.

[ QUOTE ]
The real show begins just after sundown, when the system automatically kicks in first with warning noises and flashes, then with the music and lights being turned on.

[/ QUOTE ]

Music? Where? Aimed at the sky?
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unless they mean the ballasts being turned on and making noises, than I'm with you PW. What are they talking about?