Where to place glow paint on F/L?

OddBall

Newly Enlightened
Hope this isn't in the wrong place but I was wondering of the many places glow products are used to mark your light?

Moreso paints and the like than ahedsive tapes or plastics...

OddBall

Newly Enlightened
I haven't applied glow paint before and I have some now and want to do things properly from the get go.

I have green, blue and yellow. I do not have a white base coat though, would white-out correction stuff/tipex/whatever you call it work as a base coat?

I don't know how the paint will take as its water based and already mixed. I don't have powder.

greenLED

Flashaholic
white-out is not a good base coat; I've heard Krylon (sp?) is OK.
around the black emitter base is where I've used it.

I think either Chop or CY made a bezel ring out of some plastic compound mixed with GID powder. Neat stuff. You can also paint some lines outside the light, etc., but those will get scratched out.

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Around the rim of the reflector works well, next to the lens. This affects the flood aspect of the light more than the spot. Try on a cheap mag to test.

OddBall

Newly Enlightened
Awesome, thanks for the help guys!

I'm going to go all out and do the emitter base AND the rim.

Might do a fancy little combo of the three colours, three coencentric(major sp??) rings or something if there's room.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

83Venture

Enlightened
I have some glow-paint coming soon and have been wondering where to put it on the Lion-Heart. If I have it on and drop it the light will turn off, only takes a slight tap. If it happened at night and fell into the grass would have to get another light to hunt with.

Figure to maybe put some around the emitter and somewhere around the whole body. Since the cub uses the same electronics I wonder if it will have the same turn-off problem? I'm not on the list but wondered about it.

avusblue

Enlightened
I've done the inner bezel ring on Opalec NewBeam modded MiniMags with great results. Starting with a base coat of white nail polish followed by several coats of home-made glow paint (using the recipe of clear nail polish mixed with glow powder posted at flashlightreviews.com). Using the flashlight charges the glow material and it stays surprisingly bright for a long time (all night). To satisfy the department of redundancy department, I also wrap a stripe of glow tape around the body of the light.

These lights (with Kroll clicky's) are my go-to light for 90% of my needs and thusly modded, are fantastically useful and enjoyable flashlights.

Cheers,

Dave