New Photon Freedom

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I was on the Photon Light site last night looking for an instruction booklet on how to operated the menus of the Freedom. Today, the new Freedom with the souped-up LED is supposed to ship. I just couldn't pass this up, so I ordered (2) white and (1) white covert. Only the white ones have this new LED. It's advertised as being 2x brighter will no loss of runtime.

.... oh, yea. I never did find the instruction book.

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rapid pressing a few times to activate momentary. Press and hold to run through menu.

Let us know how much brighter the new LED is. I could use another one and my aunt took mine. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Jeff

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I believe this is the new "Freedom to the Max" Micro, and I measured 51,600mcd on "high" mode.
This is a very high value for a single LED; overdriven or not.

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep i want one too. I just don't want to pay 20 buck's from photon when most retailer's have fredom's for 15 down to 12 buck's.(I am a cheap *** I know)

I really like the UI on the freedom,, i wish vital gear offered a body that had that type of UI, with my KL-1/VG it would rock. if photon could do it in a tiny light adding a few mm's to the tailcap to do so wouldn't be too big a deal. (i'm dreaming i know...)

Or better yet a ARC size AAA with that UI and the 26,000McD
LED's, or the "to the max nichia" in the freedom!. total package there for a Keychain light!!!

Plus I am sure there quite a difference between a little 5mm LED and a screaming 3watter.....VDG

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just ordered one today. Although it's $19.95 the shipping is free and no sales tax. The rep said they ran out and expect a new batch in on Monday for immediate shipment.

Now if they would just hurry up and get that Proton finished I'd be a happy camper.

vontech

Newly Enlightened
I just GOT one of the new Photon Freedom's. I just received my "last" Photon Freedom one month ago, and today's light IS AT LEAST TWICE the brightness of my previous one!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

Yipppeeee!!

Now I have a truly pocketable EDC!! I have no test equipment (yet), so I am unable to measure anything.

I'll try a timed test when I have few days off ...

GET ONE!!

Tom

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
LowBat said:
Although it's $19.95 the shipping is free and no sales tax.

Oh sure dazzle me with logic!! yeah you got a good point. I gotta drive 35 mi to get one anyway

Now if they would just hurry up and get that Proton finished I'd be a happy camper.

[/ QUOTE ]

believe me, i am dying to get a proton. I hope they will make a proton "lite" minus the red LED's I honestly have no need for red LED's, and know about 10-20$ off the MSRP.
I got 4 ROV IC3's set aside for that light. (thank you target!) I just hope photon's first std light with a refector will have big throw and nice ssemi narro spill. VDG

bhds

Enlightened
photon.jpg

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Thanks jeff. Thanks a bunch bhds. Tom, that sounds great. Other than being way brighter, what's the quality of the beam look like? Does it still have those artifacts? I'm really interested to see if battery life stays the same. It's going to be hard to tell, because I've yet taken a Photon all the way down to empty.

vontech

Newly Enlightened
Compared to the "old" Freedom, the center of the beam is MUCH brighter and wider, and the corona is more defined. The entire beam is wider is very even, with no apparent artifacts, to my eyes. As for battery life, I'm going to have to try my patience and run the thing down later this week...

I live in Oregon, ordered the light on Thursday, got it on Friday! It's obviously in stock and ready to ship. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Tom

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
vontech said:I live in Oregon, ordered the light on Thursday, got it on Friday! It's obviously in stock and ready to ship. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That's because you got one from the first batch, which they ran out of by Friday according to the rep I talked with. He also said they will have more ready to ship out on Monday, so there shouldn't be any noticable delay when ordering.

bhds

Enlightened
I love my little freedom! The user interface is so simple. Click on. Click off. Press and hold and it gets brighter or dimmer. I really wish someone would incorporate the same type of switch in a "full" size light. That would be totally awesome
Anyone seen these in the retail stores yet? I'm going to see if I can find one this weekend.
Does the new one have anything on the package that distinguishes it from the older freedom?

chanik

Newly Enlightened
You can all upgrade, of course: the freedom has a socketed LED. If you want a new LED just paypal me $5 incl shipping and I'll ship you one of the latest V grade LEDS, prebent and gold plated. Just open the unit, use a screwdriver to push out the retaining ring and replace the old LED. I'm in the grand canyon for a week, but will fill everything the week after.

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
vontech- I ordered on Tuesday and got notice that it shipped on Thursday (first batch) but still haven't gotten it (Saturday). I guess it's just that they have to shlep it across the country to NJ rather than pop it over to somewhere else in Oregon. Hopefully I'll be playing with it on Monday.
voodoogreg- you'll probably have to wait a while before you see any thrird party retailers with the new version at $12-$15, and may have to pay shipping to boot. LRI guarantees that if you order from them you'll get the max since they already sold out of old whites long ago. I'm sure everyone else will want to sell their old stock off first.

MY

Enlightened
Does the new freedom contain these 26Kmc leds that folks were buying and modding with a couple of months ago? I didn't know that one could easily replace the led in the old freedom?

Regards.

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
MY- actually, the new freedom contains a factory-fresh new LED from Nichia that no one else has played with yet, as evidenced by the fact that LRI bought the entire first production run from them. They use a transparent, rather than opaque metal substrate that allows light that was formerly blocked to now be emitted from the LED.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I'm really looking forward to this new Freedom. I've always been a somewhat "closet" Photon fan, but have never bragged about them. It's a great light for ~$20.00 and has technology that we're just starting to see in other custome lights, like multi-level brightness. I agree with what others have said, as it relates to easy on easy off. That little clip-thing that comes with the Freedom is awesome. It makes the Photon even more practical. All that being said, it is not regulated and it does use un-common cells. Probably not an issue for those simple 1-minute useage patterns that most folks use.

That being said, is there a good source for these coin-cells, rather than grabbing a 2-pack from Wal-Mart or the likes?

Latest posts