ARC LSH Twisty Loose

CaptainD

Newly Enlightened
I got a twisty switch for my ARC LSH.When you back off the switch to cut it off it is a little loose and you can hear and feel a slight movement from the battery.The whole switch screws on fine but is a little loose.I know it was a thread on the forum that covered this problem.The twisty is just too loose and turns very easily.I thought about wrapping the threads with white pipe thread tape.My LS is a LSH-S,#258. Any help would be appreciated.

Ophiuchus

Newly Enlightened
Captain, do not apply tape. The threads are part of electrical path. I would first try replacing the o-ring. Also J.S.Burlys is selling anodized twisty for $25.00.

cy

Flashaholic
you need to do like ophiuchus suggested and if you don't have a foam washer. get a size small Dr scholtz corn pad.

CaptainD

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys,maybe I'm getting old and can't see but my twisty is missing the o-ring.This is probably the problem.I got the switch from JS Burly's.I e-mailed Jon.I will probably just go up to the local hardware store and get an o-ring.Thanks for posting the size of the o-ring.I didn't notice the empty o-ring grove on the switch till later.

Ophiuchus

Newly Enlightened
Good purchase CaptainD, I am surprised JSB has any remaining. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

greenLED

Flashaholic
Those twistys are tricky. The bottom pole on mine is not long enough to make proper contact with the NEG side of the 123. I'll have to find a spring or use some Al-foil.

TRC

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
greenLED said:
Those twistys are tricky. The bottom pole on mine is not long enough to make proper contact with the NEG side of the 123. I'll have to find a spring or use some Al-foil.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can put a little drop of solder on the negative end of batteries to help make contact, same as sometimes it helps to put a little solder on the positive end to lengthen a 123 cell for better contact.

Try putting on a drop of solder, and then filing it flat, so the battery isn't too long. You can do a half dozen 123 cells in about 10 minutes or less, and you are set for quite awhile, and don't have to worry about losing a spring or piece of aluminum foil when you change cells. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

cy

Flashaholic
Arc 123 twisties came in several different lengths depending upon which LS board twisty was made for.

if you are not using other twisty packs, preference is to fix permently by placing blob of solder on LS board.

crushed aluminum foil works for a quick reliable no fuss fix. fold foil into small square. insert into body. then place CR123 in tube.

use your fingers to press fit batt into foil. this crushes aluminum foil for a custom fit. no way it will come out accidently.

play with different thickness to get a custom reliable fit. now you can use any std size 123.

ZuluWhiskeyFox

Enlightened
I had the same problem with the battery not reaching. I resolved it by getting and installing a 2 stage switch. The 2 stage is intended and sold for Fire Fly flashlights. Can be bought from "The Sandwich Shoppe". So I killed 2 birds with one stone. It works very well. Just what the doctor ordered.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

CaptainD

Newly Enlightened
Sorry,meant to post here,but made a complete new post.See " Problem Solved/Thanks " post for update.

wmirag

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
greenLED said:

[/ QUOTE ]

I bought a 1st-run twisty for my non-1st-run-LS and the negative post is too shallow also: it is less high than the "paper" wrap at the end of a Surefire battery. So I just slice off the paper on the negative side of the battery before installing it into the LS - when I use the twisty. There is no problem with the Kroll which is spring loaded.