CPF Modder

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

fleegs

Enlightened
Would you like to see a headlamp built that is like the LionHeart/Cub or an Aleph 1/3?

fleegs

Enlightened
Built like...using the same details and specifications in terms of runtime, brightness, ease of use and function. I know HDS is coming out with a headlamp sometime in the next two years /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif but I would love to see a headlamp that scrolls like the LionHeart/Cub or has a reflector like the aleph 3. I love the aleph 3 because the beam has throw but also has a bright corona (is that the right word?).

Does that help?

I was hoping to inspire some modder to make a headlamp run, that is McGizmo, Mr Bulk, or both.

fleegs

fleegs

Enlightened
Alright, people who voted no, can you please explain. I can not imagine that someone would not want a headlamp on the market that smoothly scrolls through the brightness levels, has two modes of operation or the brightness or efficiency of the Aleph line.

Please, anyone who voted no can you explain why?

Thanks,
fleegs

idleprocess

Flashaholic
I didn't vote, but do you really want 3-5W of heat at right at your forehead?

I like the LH interface just fine, but I forsee thermal difficulties with that much heat in a headlamp.

Turbo_E

Enlightened
i built a 5W that runs on 3 AAA. and boy, does it ever get hot. I wouldnt recommend it. ebay sells 3 W unite. I personally like the 1W unit.

greenLED

Flashaholic
There are other headlamps with IC circuits and Luxes coming into the market. I abuse my headlamps too much to want to spend several hundred dollars on one.

fleegs

Enlightened
Interesting responses.

Idleprocess- I do want 3W at my head because with the LionHeart software I would scroll down to a usable setting for extended use and higher levels for brief periods. Not 5W because I like the tighter beam of the 3W.

Turbo E- Are you saying you prefer the 1W units over the 3W? If so, why?

greenLED- I guess I am not of the majority. I do not buy lights to collect, I buy them to use. If I bought a several hundred dollar headlamp I would expect I could "abuse" it. After thinking about what you said some more I relized I have a question. Are you saying that the cheaper headlamps can be abused more than the expensive lights? Or just that an expensive light could break and you would hate to replace it? I assume that a expensive light would give more features and last longer than a few cheapos. Can you provide me with some details of some of your experiences?

Thanks everyone for your comments and voting.

fleegs

idleprocess

Flashaholic
I said 3-5W because that's the approximate power disspation of the LH on high (~1400mA x ~3.5V == 4.9W). Maybe if you do winter camping...

I've never thought of headlamps as being really powerful - they're excellent as task lights and that means medium to low power and more floof than throw.

[shrugs]

Goerges80 is coming out with a "fatflex" driver board soon - it has a UI very similar to the LH. Soon you can build it yourself.