Krill light tube

ps56k

Enlightened
Just happen to run across this in a camping forum -
Wonder if anyone has tried them....
I was kinda interested, until I saw the price /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

http://www.kriana.com/military/index.html

Lasting over 120 hours per set of 2 AA batteries, this light replaces hundreds of chemical light sticks. It has nearly the same intensity as a chemical light stick after it has been activated for 2 hours. Lit 360°, with the exception of one small seam, the original Krill lamp has a maximum output of 5.5Fl. This is perfect for replacing chemical light sticks used for marking objects where light is needed in all angles

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Yep, they've been around for awhile. I've got a green and an orange. They add nice variety to the camping equipment! Watch the B/S/T Forums, now and then they'll show up at a more affordable price.

I'm interested in checking out one of those "Glow-Toobs"...haven't had one of those in my hands yet!

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had a few for several years. They are great marker lights. They do not have a large amount of output but they run for a long time on AA's. If it's really dark and your eyes have become adjusted, by holding one close to the page you can read by one. The tend not to attract insects and don't screw up your night vision much if at all. I use mine to mark gear when I'm out in the woods at night and don't want to hunt around for it in the dark -- there actually are times when you don't want to turn on a flashlight. Sacrilege, I know, but it is true.

socom1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got one of the 180 degree white Krills and I like it a lot. The price is no big deal. They range from 20.00 to around 30.00 except for the prototypes that are about 60.00. They are designed to be used in place of the snap-lites or chem-lites. They are about the same brightness, but last a very long time on two AA batteries. A very good investment and they will use rechargeables, alkalines, lithiums, whatever you have. Good stuff

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a dark blue one, it's rather nice. I don't use it for marking camping gear or anything like that as I haven't been camping since I got it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif But I've used it several times as a nightlight in a hotel room or for my daughter when staying with relatives or something.

I always liked EL stuff anyway /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
[ QUOTE ]
James S said:I always liked EL stuff anyway /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
--------------------
Ooooo, you kind of hit the nail on the head with that one!

If everything I owned "had to be practical" - I'd probably only have 1 or 2 of this or that...instead of too many of these or those! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Yep, indeed they're "cool"!

gorn

Enlightened
I picked up a green and blue one about a year ago at Ranger Joe's just outside of Ft. Benning. I got them because the whole EL thng in cool.

I have used the blue one when I travel for work to give me some light in the hotel rooms at night. In that time I have only gone through 1 set of batteries.

The price wasn't to bad, I think I paid about $19 each.

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Roger that. Long-running especially on lithium cells. Not bright enough to really do anything with the illumination but mark. But still handy to have around. I use a 360 green extreme.

Wilkey

ps56k

Enlightened
wonder how you can tell the difference between the "regular" and the brighter "extreme" ?
Also - the webpage has the lights listed under 3 sections:
consumer - military - safety
Is there any difference, or just dup listings.

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually, if you click on the different areas, you get information about different lights and their uses.

Military has night vision compatabillity, among other features. Safety krills strobe to attract attention.

And the regular has roughly half the light output of the extreme, as it states in the write up (not every light review or site lists levels in lumens, some are in candelas or other measurements).

While the site could be organized better, all the info is there.