What is the best unlimited phone plan?

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi everyone,

I was hoping I could get the real story on the various unlimited long-distance calling, or long distance/in-state long distance calling plans. (No cell phone plans please, though, just the regular land-line ones) I know that there are sometimes hidden fees and small print and the like, so I decided to post the question here.

The deal is that currently I am spending upwards of $75 a month on the phone bill. I know for sure that there are unlimitied calling plans that are equal or cheaper than that, everything included--or so it seems on the face of it--but I wonder which one is really the cheapest and whether or not there are any strings attached.

Any information you all can give me is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

RH

Enlightened
Hi Jim,

If you wouldn't mind VoIP, Time Warner is rolling out their digital phone in Northern NY at $39.95/month. This gets you unlimited US and Canada calling.

Thanks,
Robert

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been using GTC Telecom for years now, and am very pleased with it. Consumer Reports did a Long Distance comparison years ago, and that's how I heard about them. It's not an "unlimited" plan, but the rate is very good.

Interstate calls are .029 per minute 24/7/365. No monthly fee if you pay with credit card, only $1.95 if you want a paper bill and pay by check. Intrastate rates vary (.08 in FL., looks like .10 in NY), but I still think this plan is hard to beat.

Peter

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
RH said:
Hi Jim,

If you wouldn't mind VoIP, Time Warner is rolling out their digital phone in Northern NY at $39.95/month. This gets you unlimited US and Canada calling.

Thanks,
Robert

[/ QUOTE ]

What is "VoIP"?

chrisse242

Enlightened
Voice over IP, basically using a broadband connection like DSL to transport voice calls.

Chrisse

RH

Enlightened
Thanks Chrisse.

Yes, you use your twcny cable modem as your phoneline as well as your isp.

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use SprintSense and it's about $50/month (closer to 60 or 65 with taxes and fees). That's for unlimited local and domestic long distance calls. There are no drawbacks except that if you don't use your phone much in a particular month, you still pay full price.

I think VoIP deals could be much cheaper or a good cheap per minute LD plan or even prepaid long distance calling card. Go to the website of www.ClarkHoward.com. He maintains lists of the best deals on phone service and other similar things.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
The unlimited plans vary by state and even the location within some states.

Some of the VoIP sound attractive, but keep in mind that the data links are not really designed to carry real-time data. They are designed with the idea that it's OK to throw some packets of data away, relying on the underlying network communications programs to ask for repeats when necessary. Many data networks have at least one point where the link becomes 100% occupied at it's busiest time.

I'd also suggest that you look at some of the cellular plans. A good cell phone in an area with good reception with a lot of minutes can be about as good as a wireline, and just as good as VoIP.

Daniel

cy

Flashaholic
best deal I've found is Sam's calling cards at aprox 3.5 cents per minute.

I've got speed dial set-up on my landline for 1-800 # and card #. works with no fuss.

bole64

Newly Enlightened
The VoIP tech has been around for a long time and has been used by gammers for a while. I dont know if this is the same Tech that is going to be used with VoIP communication lines. Although i will give out my VoIP Comm room if anyone wants to try it out and see what you think. All you need is a computer with internet (how else would you see this thred), a microphone (just plug it in to the mic jack on the mother board or the sound card), and the program. The program is called ventrilo (copyright) and you can download it at www.ventrilo.com. Just dl the pc client (only about 1 meg). The server name (IP) is johng86.no-ip.org the port is 3784 (or defalt) and the pass is john. Just ask if there are questions.

AbnerCadaver

Banned
I have had Vonage (VOIP) for about four months now and can honestly say that I was pleasantly surprised. My expectations were low, I thought that this would have the sound quality of a typical "NetMeeting" conversation, sounding like a cheap walkie talkie. I was wrong. I cannot distinguish this VOIP from Vonage from a conventional landline. Neither can the people who call me. When I tell them that they are speaking to me on an "internet based" phone, they tell me that it sounds like a regular telephone. Then they ask about cost. 25 bucks a month, unlimited USA and Canada. You also have the option of choosing a number outside of your residential area code. This works great for me as several family relatives have retired and made the pilgrimage to Florida so I have added an additional "foreign exchange" in the Fort Lauderdale area. So to my mom, it appears as a local call to her, even though I am physically in PA.
I am beginning to sound like a commercial for Vonage, but like I said initially, I was very pleasantly surprised with the sound quality and low cost. They only caveat: you need broadband, which I already have so it wasn't a problem.

Abbie

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting stuff about the VoIP, but it's totally out of the question for me, as I can't get either DSL or cable modem where I am. I could maybe do wireless broadband if I wanted to spend $45+ per month, or I could do the satellite broadband thing, but I really don't want to do either of those.

So that leaves only regular phone plans, and cell phones (which I'm not keen on).

In any case, thanks so much for all of the information.

junior

Enlightened
I have packet8 and have unlimted longdistance in the US for only 19.99 a month.

Problem is that you need to have dsl, a router.

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
I have Qwest as my local carrier. Unlimited local calling. I used to use Sam's cards for Long distance but Quest has a plan here I think calls are .05/minute in the US but there is a cap of $20. There have been 2 months where I came in under but the other months I've gone over and the LD bill has been $20 + taxes etc.
I highly recomend it if you can get it and use a lot of LD

Latest posts