I-Nova X-5 is out of batteries!!!!! 123 3vlt hlp

SnitchyCat

Newly Enlightened
I-Nova X-5 is out of batteries!!!!! 123 3vlt hlp

I left my flashlight on for several days straight when I left on a roadtrip, only to comeback and find it out of juice. (no surprise there) My I-Nova X-5 Tactical Flashlight came to me with 123 Duracell Ultra Lithium batteries. Okay, I'm fairly new to the world of flashlights, but I'm addicted. I'm also incredibly clumbsy, lazy, and numb-minded and keep doing stupid things like the one described above.

Okay, so I don't really want to spend $20 on batteries every time I make a mistake. I was thinking rechargeable units might be good, but I thought I should check with some "experts" on this issue first. What do you guys & gals think about rechargeable 123 lithium batteries? Do they work as well as the lithium non-rechargeables? Is it worth it to recharge? What kind of recharger do you all recommend?

If you don't recommend to recharge, what stock batteries do you think work best? Know any good deals? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Sorry to sound stupid, but is a 123A battery the same as a 123 battery? I think I read somewhere that 123A is 3.5 volts. If that is true, do you think they word hurt/significantly shorten the life of my LEDs in my flashlights. I currently only have a couple I-Novas, but I'm probably also going to expand to some of the other manufacturers. Maybe even expand to some non-LED lights, even though I particularly have a liking for the LEDs.

Greg

Newly Enlightened
Re: I-Nova X-5 is out of batteries!!!!! 123 3vlt hlp

No better deal on regular CR123s than Batterystation.com. As a CPF member, you can pick them up for a buck each, no need to spend $20 each time.

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: I-Nova X-5 is out of batteries!!!!! 123 3vlt hlp

Get yourself one or two dozen batteries from batterystation or surefire. IMHO, when dealing with 123's if you don't have them when you need them you will end up paying $10-$12 bucks at your local drug or camera store. There is no in between. Keep yourself stocked up.

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: I-Nova X-5 is out of batteries!!!!! 123 3vlt

Agreed with the above statements. Online prices are so much better for 123 cells, esp from Batterystation ($1 a piece), Kevin there is a great guy to deal with! So for $20 you get 20 pcs of 123 cells to stock up!!

As for your question, yes 123As are the same as 123s. I think the difference is how each manufacturer labels them, thats all. Most, if not all brand new 123 cells should give you a reading of about 3.2V or so at the maximum, which is perfectly ok for all your devices, but the 3.5V figure sounds a bit high, not sure if you read it correctly or not...

Scudinc is right too, if you're going rechargables, make sure you get the 3V ones, cos if you don't you will see 'magic smoke', especially with those of your lights that don't run LEDs.

I would suggest that you check out the UKE 4AA eLed for best bang for buck, and we'll see how much you like (or still dislike) Leds after that. The X5 wouldn't outlast the 4AA eLed in terms of battery time. At $20 from brightguy.com, you can't go wrong! The brightness I daresay is better than the X5 as well...

Oh, and welcome to CPF too!! Hope to see you around more! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

greenLED

Flashaholic
Re: I-Nova X-5 is out of batteries!!!!! 123 3vlt

Check my sigline to the CPF Specials thread. Off the top of my head, BatteryStation and AmondoTech have $1 123's (CR123, 123A, etc.)

Some of the rechargeable 123's have different voltages and may burn your light. Also depending on which lights you have, you may also consider rechargeable Pila batts (JSBurly's link is in the "specials" thread).